Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon Polygamy A Non-Issue For The Campaign

Zakuska

I might be late to the show on this one, but Romney's Polygamous Mormon ancestors aren't really going to be an issue.

Dem Gov. Says Romney’s Polygamous Roots Are Politically Problematic (What About Obama’s?)

Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer, a Democrat, has a theory regarding some potential electoral troubles he believes Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney may encounter. On Thursday, in an interview with The Daily Beast, he said that Romney may face resistance nationally because his father was “born on a polygamy commune in Mexico.”

“I am not alleging by any stretch that Romney is a polygamist and approves of [the] polygamy lifestyle, but his father was born into [a] polygamy commune in Mexico,” Schweitzer is also quoted as saying in the interview.

As The Gateway Pundit noted, though, as have other outlets that President Barack Obama, too, has a polygamist family history. In an op-ed for The Washington Post, associate editor David Maraniss wrote the following about both Obama‘s and Romney’s attachment, albiet indirect, to plural marriage:

The line of polygamists in Obama’s family can be traced back generations in western Kenya, where it was an accepted practice within the Luo (pronounced LOO-oh) tribe. His great-grandfather, Obama Opiyo, had five wives, including two who were sisters. His grandfather, Hussein Onyango, had at least four wives, one of whom, Akumu, gave birth to the president’s father, Barack Obama, before fleeing her abusive husband. Obama Sr. was already married when he left Kenya to study at the University of Hawaii, where he married again. His American wife-to-be, Stanley Ann Dunham, was not yet 18 and unaware of his marital situation when she became pregnant with his namesake son in 1961.

The line of polygamists in the Romney family traces back generations, when it was an accepted practice in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. His paternal great-grandfathers, Miles Park Romney and Helaman Pratt, were born in the United States but lived for decades in Mexico. Pratt was a Mormon missionary there; Miles Park Romney left Utah for Mexico with a tribe of polygamous Mormons after the Mormon church broke with the practice of polygamy in 1890.

It is also well known that Democrat Senator from New Mexico, Tom Udall, and his cousin, Senator Mark Udall (D) from Colorado, come from a long line of polygamists. But that was never an issue because they are Democrats. Mens Journal reported:

In the Udall family, politics stretches back generations. Mark’s and Tom’s great-grandfather, David King Udall, was a pioneer Arizonan and a Mormon polygamist who was sent to federal prison (on testimony of an ancestor of Mitt Romney’s, family lore has it). He was pardoned by President Grover Cleveland, then tossed back in jail. This time, it was Barry Goldwater’s grandfather who got him off the hook.

It’s only ever an issue if the politician is Republican.

http://www.theblaze....t-about-obamas/

:D The democratic party sure seem to be stepping on every rake in the tool shed trying to define Romney in these early stages.

The charge of polygamous ancestors is just to big a brush to limit to just Democrats or Republicans. ALL of us somewhere back in time had some polygamous ancestor, if you go back far enough.

Now lets get back to the issues that really matter to Americans living in the 21st Century.

AMEN! I just find all the rakes in the toolshed the parties are stepping on as this election cycle gets going entertaining.

Is Schweitzer up for re-election this year? The polygamy issue is certainly going to be a major liability for his campaign then; there's plenty of LDS voters in The Treasure State.

AMEN! I just find all the rakes in the toolshed the parties are stepping on as this election cycle gets going entertaining.

Me too, Zak... for instance... the Dems kept talking about the "dog in the crate" and trying to make something of it... until... someone pointed out that in Obama's book he actually ATE dog while in Indonesia.

Then on the polygamy issue, the Dems wanted to bring that up about Mitt's ancestors... until... Mitt pointed out that neither his father nor grandfather practiced polygamy, and it was learned that Obama's grandfather was a polygamist, and his father married one woman before divorcing another...

Yes... interesting...

GG

GG:

I am not a big fan of Obama or Romney however. Obama ate dog as a small child in a country where getting ANYTHING to eat can be problematic. Romney while on vacation as an adult Norte Americano put a sick pet dog on the top of a car for 12 hours. You do see the difference?

My ancestors painted themselves blue and danced naked around trees to appease their Gods, while practicing polygamy(I dare say that anyone with ancestors from England does too). I don't see where that has much relevence to my chosen religion, or is of any relevence if I were to run for political office. To exclude Romney, or any LDS, from the political process because of their religion is as offensive as excluding any Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Muslim, or what have you, because of theirs.

GG:

I am not a big fan of Obama or Romney however. Obama ate dog as a small child in a country where getting ANYTHING to eat can be problematic. Romney while on vacation as an adult Norte Americano put a sick pet dog on the top of a car for 12 hours. You do see the difference?

Not really because:

1) Lo-Lo didn't seem to have a problem getting things to eat. Snake, Tiger and Grasshoppers. I'd imagine Tiger meat is pretty darn expensive.

2) Obama was an adult when he wrote about the endering incident.

My ancestors painted themselves blue and danced naked around trees to appease their Gods, while practicing polygamy(I dare say that anyone with ancestors from England does too). I don't see where that has much relevence to my chosen religion, or is of any relevence if I were to run for political office.

I completely agree. The point is that the Dems have been playing the Dog meme for quite some time. Every since the 2008 election cycle. It was just as irrelevant then, but they kept brining it up. One writer for the NY times wrote about it more than 20 times in the last 3 years. But all of a sudden, now that #ObamaEatsDogs came out they are completely sillent about the Dog issue and declaring it irrelevant anyway. Why the sudden about face? Did some one touch their sacred cow or something?

To exclude Romney, or any LDS, from the political process because of their religion is as offensive as excluding any Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Muslim, or what have you, because of theirs.

Amen.

GG:

My ancestors painted themselves blue and danced naked around trees to appease their Gods, while practicing polygamy(I dare say that anyone with ancestors from England does too). I don't see where that has much relevence to my chosen religion, or is of any relevence if I were to run for political office. To exclude Romney, or any LDS, from the political process because of their religion is as offensive as excluding any Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Muslim, or what have you, because of theirs.

Hi TSS... smiles... back to rain again this morning... frowns...

You're exactly right, there is no relevence. But then we're not the ones trying to capitalize on these types of things. Not until the Obama camp brought them up.

And, in regard to Shamus being on top of the roof for 12 hours, I think it's fair to assume he got a break. I see nothing wrong with Shamus being safely in a carrier whether it be on top of the roof or while in the back of a pickup.

Took my Bobby-cat to the vet the other day (in his carrier, though not on the roof) to get his teeth cleaned and to have an ID chip installed... Bob weighed in at 20 lbs.

Hope you're doing well... GG

That is a big cat. That is what my beagle is suppose to weigh....not that she does as we were very bad at exercising her this winter. Got to train her to the treadmill like the rest of us, lol.

GG:

I am sure the dog would much rather ride in a comfortable kennel, on the roof of a car than to be the main course at the BBQ.

From an Opinion piece in the NYT yesterday:

Playing the Mormon Card

But it will be difficult for the White House to exploit these suspicions directly. If it seems like prominent Democrats are playing the religion card, then the Romney camp will have a chance to re-run the Jeffress controversy and paint its opponents as bigots. There’s also the awkward matter of President Obama’s own religious background: The White House probably would rather not do anything that might revive the 2008 debate over the Reverend Jeremiah Wright.

This explains why the White House was so quick to distance itself from Brian Schweitzer, the governor of Montana, when he raised the fact that Romney’s great-grandfather practiced polygamy. And it explains why the dog whistles that some conservatives have detected coming from the White House – an Obama spokesman contrasting Romney’s “faith” with the president’s “Christianity,” the repeated references to Romney’s “weirdness” from unnamed administration officials – have been pitched too faintly to be heard by most voters.

http://campaignstops...-card/#comments

An even better explanation for why Team-O distanced themselves so quickly from Gov. Brian Schweitzers remarks is because, just like every other rake the Democrats have stepped on this election cycle, Obama comes from a long line of Dog Eating Kenyan Polygamists.

http://dailycaller.c...ike-obamas-dad/

Uh, apparently the dog traveled with them on vacation quite often, and apparently enjoyed it up there. I seem to recall one of the family members telling about how the dog would eagerly jump into the kennel for the ride whenever a trip started out. The time the dog was sick was evidently one of the rare times he became motion sick.

Every dog I've ever met simply loved to stick his or her head out the car window when traveling in the inside of a car.

I don't believe that the Romney's dog was being abused. It's just that in order to find something to complain about, the liberals have to really look hard and long.

Didn't shortened her life and she was always very friendly (IIRC this is why they eventually in later years had to ship her off to his sister? who had a big yard as the dog would go roaming to go visit people and then get picked up by the pound). Certainly didn't sound, act or look like an abused dog.

Log,

According to the Indonesian sources eating Dog meat is very rare (excuss the pun) and is infact Illegal.

https://usjf.net/201...eat-in-jakarta/

Well, now, since most Indonesians are Muslim, and dog meat is haram in Islam, this is not surprising, but it doesn't stop non-Muslims in Indonesia from eating dog. There are certain ethnic groups there among which dog is considered a delicacy.

The dog meat article in Wikipedia might be interesting in order to see how widespread the practice has been and remains in some places.

Yum yum.

Is Schweitzer up for re-election this year? The polygamy issue is certainly going to be a major liability for his campaign then; there's plenty of LDS voters in The Treasure State.

He can't serve a third term, those seeking to replace him are Ron Vandevender, whom I think you would like, and whomever the Republicans and Democrats nominate.

The charge of polygamous ancestors is just to big a brush to limit to just Democrats or Republicans. ALL of us somewhere back in time had some polygamous ancestor, if you go back far enough.

Now lets get back to the issues that really matter to Americans living in the 21st Century.

Like magic underwear!

He's from that exotic foreign place called Hawaii. ;)

Calmoriah:

I've owned dogs, cats, birds, and fish. I've traveled back and forth across the US taking 4-7 days at a time. NOT ONCE did we put any of them on the top of a car. Nor did we allow them the stick their heads out of the windows while the car was in motion. It is not safe, and the constant buffetting by the wind without let up is cruel.

He's from that exotic foreign place called Hawaii. ;)

Calmoriah:

I've owned dogs, cats, birds, and fish. I've traveled back and forth across the US taking 4-7 days at a time. NOT ONCE did we put any of them on the top of a car. Nor did we allow them the stick their heads out of the windows while the car was in motion. It is not safe, and the constant buffetting by the wind without let up is cruel.

On the contrary. The reason they stick their head out the window is the built in air conditioner. Whats cruel is keeping them couped up inside with no way of cooling off their tounge.

Archived