Seriously No Politics ×

What Should You Pay Tithing On?

Yes it is, but the definition of increase is income. This is the fact that you seem to ignore. Increase is a very large word. Does increase include children? If my children grow do I pay tithing on their weight gain? This simple example, I think, drives home the point that this word required a qualifier. The prophet has provided this qualifier. I pay on my income. If I have other financial gains, I give in fast offerings and other ways. You are free to interpret it how you wish, I interpret it as based on my income.

Increase is more than merely income. But then again you can define it how you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

yes doctrine 612 is lds and d & C 119 Talks about surplus and others scriptures talk about residue or what remains which is what surpluse means i have talk alot about this over the years with many people in the church from all levels of leadership and many understand to be one other way( other way ) accepted look at the law of concencration its all there. but remember you cant change my mind and i cant change yours we are just sharing ideas.

• 3 years later...

Tithing is payed on your earnings. I would no more pay tithing on a cash gift than I would on any other gift. If I get a gift card, I spend it all. I base it on my gross income because, although I bring home less than my gross, the deductions give me a net benefit. I don't deduct my grocery bill from my taxable income so why would I deduct the taxes that pay for the roads I drive on? paying tithing on a loan is inappropriate because it is not earnings. You will pay it back plus interest. Likewise, I would not pay tithing on the mortgage that the bank gave me to purchase my home. As with a business lone, this will be paid back but it will help you earn income from your business which would be subject to tithing.

I would not count the money I earned from selling my car because I already payed tithing on the money I used to purchase it and the return is a depreciation of value. I would pay tithing, however, if I purchased a car for $5,000, fixed it up and sold it for $7,000. If I purchased it for $5,000, spend $700 to fix it and sold it for $7,000, I would pay tithes on $1,300. If you win money in a lottery, the church will not accept tithing for it, but you are free to donate to fast offerings or any other category. I would not pay tithing on an inheritance because, as stated, I did not earn it. It was gifted to me.

Question for you.  I do agree that it is not necessary to pay tithing on a cash gift because it is not earned income.  However, what are your thoughts on if you used that cash gift and invested it into an investment and made money on that investment.  Would you pay tithing on that income from the gain of the investment?

Thanks.

When you feel the spirit tell you to.

We all know when we are being cheap or justifying.

That being said, as of late, I have been testing the "pay tithing before everything" idea (like being broke as dirt and paying anyway when rent is due type thing). A stretch for me since I have a difficult time believing in supernatural blessings. The outcome was rather satisfying and has encouraged me to putting faith in other areas to see if they pan out as well.

Edited by thatjimguy

I wrote that I was dealing in hyperbole. Do you really expect someone to hand you the deed to a 500,000 house? It was to demonstrate that although one doesn't pay tithes on birthday presents, gifts can and are increases and at some point become tithable.

You may not be handed the deeds, but inheriting a house is not beyond the realms of possibility. If that were to happen to me it would take and entire year's salary to come up with the 10% due on the value of the house!! I know you said hyperbole, but even a house worth $100000 would be a huge problem for someone to tithe on. I suppose you could take out a mortgage on the house and pay your tithing with that??  :unknw:

Edited by busybee

You may not be handed the deeds, but inheriting a house is not beyond the realms of possibility. If that were to happen to me it would take and entire year's salary to come up with the 10% due on the value of the house!! I know you said hyperbole, but even a house worth $100000 would be a huge problem for someone to tithe on. I suppose you could take out a mortgage on the house and pay your tithing with that??  :unknw:

It has been almost three years and I don't recall my train of thought that far back (ancient history) but my stance has always been one tenth of increase with each of us left to figure our increase as our conscience dictates.  The brethren have admonished us not to borrow money to pay tithes and offerings.  If one felt the need to tithe on an inherited house perhaps one could contribute a portion of what was formally their house payment.