Seriously No Politics ×

Cooking With Alcohol

JAHS

Cooking with alcohol  

179 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion does cooking with alcohols such as wine or beer violate the Word of Wisdom, given the fact that sometimes not all alcohol is cooked out of such a dish?

• Yes
    • No

Vanilla extract has about 35% alcohol and I use a full tablespoon of it in every batch of Chocolate chip cookies I make and they only bake for 9 minutes, so there's probably not much time for the alcohol to cook off, although it is diluted out to about 2 dozen cookies.

If that does violate the WOW then so be it; I'm not changing my recipe :aggressive:

My question was not serious. I was being facetious.

I have never heard of anyone getting a DUI or something for eating a slice of rum cake.

You never ate my neighbors rum balls. Whoa nelly! (Pre-LDS days for those of you who are shocked at my admission).

The WofW is what it is and Joseph Smith never treated this Word as a black and white issue. The policy of the Church changed in the very early 1900's and has resulted in a observance of the WofW as a requirement to enter the temple. I have never felt differently about it.

It seems like the Church has gotten itself into peculiar circumstances when there was no new revelation, but leaders have created a new policy that was then followed by subsequent presidents. Christ's admonition that it is not what goes in the mouth that is so bad, but that which comes out of it. For me personally, observance of the WofW is something I do, but it serves no purpose other than minor discipline LDS use. Those who do not obey it, imho, have no loss of spiritual gifts or a weakening of their relationship with God.

I look forwad to the return of the Saviour and to partake of the fruit of the vine together. I suspect that these man-made policies will also be done away with at the same time if not before.

I thought the WoW declared that strong drink wasn't for the belly? I might be remembering that wrong though.

Strong Drink not Strong food.

Jello shots?

Really it comes down to using your Judgement and your intent. Eating a piece of rum cake probably won't cause you any harm, taking several jello shots (for the only reason anyone would take a jello shot) will probably cause you to not be temple worthy.

Then again it is all up to your Bishop's discretion.

Cobalt-70:

Two words Barley Water.

The "strength" of a drink refers to how much alcohol it has in it. Barley water is not merely a "mild" drink. It is a totally non-alcoholic drink. "Mild," in contrast to "strong," means no more than slightly alcoholic. Besides, unlike beer, I know of no evidence that early Mormons drank barley water. I think that's always been a very British drink.

Mmm.... also... just so you guys know... homemade maple syrup also contains a tiny bit of alcohol as well in the extrract (it's not cooked off, but it's in miniscule proportions).

Overall, I think it is best to avoid what we can when we can. Listen to the Spirit on this one.

Edited by TAO

I challenge everyone to live the word of wisdom through and through to the best of your ability and see if your whole life doesn't change because of the drastic change that takes place physically. I have recently chose to do this (with my doctor's help). It's not just alcohol and cigarettes, it is fruits and grains and vegetables and meats too. I don't even know how to express properly what I have discovered. But it is amazing! And I can tell you that the promises that the Lord attaches to the word of wisdom are real, literal promises. The WoW is what it says. It is not just a test of obedience. Heavenly Father wants us to succeed and have joy in this life. But our priorities can get SOooo screwed up! It is "a Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of...the saints in Zion." Word to the wise, follow it. Cracked wheat in the morning, broccoli for lunch, yams for dinner, etc. See if you don't receive health in your navel and marrow to your bones. "And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures; And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint." I promise you, if you truly live the word of wisdom, there will be no denying the very real and physical blessings that are given. If you follow the Word of Wisdom not because it is another rule but because a perfect God promised "that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them" then you will be protected from the temptations of said destroying angel to destroy your beautiful and glorious mortal body. Don't wait for immortality to enjoy life in a strong body! Start now.

Edited by Nominee

Nominee:

Near total lack of protein, and several essential Amino Acids. You are putting your health at risk. If you want to go vegetarian that is fine with me. But add in a larger variety of veggies, legumes, mushrooms, add in some fruits for the vitamin C, and don't forget the dairy products like cheese, yogurt, kifur.

Nominee:

Near total lack of protein, and several essential Amino Acids. You are putting your health at risk. If you want to go vegetarian that is fine with me. But add in a larger variety of veggies, legumes, mushrooms, add in some fruits for the vitamin C, and don't forget the dairy products like cheese, yogurt, kifur.

Thanks for the love! :air_kiss: And you are right in what you are getting at. I was careful to point out that I am doing this with my doctor's help to begin with. It is extremely important to learn food! But it is possible and actually pretty easy if one just bumps it up on the priority list. I did not claw my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian. :D However, as you have done well to show here, it is possible to eat meat sparingly and with thanksgiving while still giving your body all the protein it could ever need in ways that are better and easier to digest. Once you begin to change your eating habits, your cravings begin to change the same. I am in awe of how perfectly science backs up this revelation! Educate yourself about your foods and your testimony of the WoW will go off the charts! I actually enjoy more food, more often! Now that I am eating according to the WoW. I never get tired or full or sick or sore AND my brain is working better! And I sleep better. There is no end to the benefits from where I stand. I eat every single thing you put in your list every single day! NO LIE. But I do eat chicken, fish, beef and pork also. Just in smaller portions than I used to and what is really cool is, I swear, my body tells me when I need to! Everything changes when you become one with your body and start showing it some respect. Like a marriage I suppose.

Edited by Nominee

Nominee:

Darn internets. It is near impossible to get our full thoughts across.

It is good you do have a large variety of foods you do eat. I'm not a vegetarian(I like a good steak on occassion), but there is nothing wrong with being one as long as all the basics are covered. Don't forget to take a little chocolate for your stomachs sake. ;)

Nominee:

Darn internets. It is near impossible to get our full thoughts across.

It is good you do have a large variety of foods you do eat. I'm not a vegetarian(I like a good steak on occassion), but there is nothing wrong with being one as long as all the basics are covered. Don't forget to take a little chocolate for your stomachs sake. ;)

Yeah, ha ha! Also, just to drive home the importance of knowing what you're doing, until I learn everything I need to know and am solid in my understanding my doctor has me writing down everything I eat and drink in exact detail. I have to check in with him every 3 wks and he reads over and runs blood tests sometimes to make sure I have all the right levels. I did have to start with vitamin D supplements but I live in Oregon so... :lol:

Once I learn what foods do what though I can eventually ween away from the doctor visits and just live healthy and strong ~the way God intended. ;)

How about the spirit of the law vs looking beyond the mark? It's discussions like these that always make me think of a bunch of rabbis sitting around hashing out interpretations of laws that were written years or even centuries earlier. Give the LDS church enough time and there will be as complex of secondary codification (albeit not all "doctrinal") as there is in Jewish law. It's inevitable, human nature. A concept gets established by a powerful, revered figure who inevitably dies and therefore can't be consulted for clarifications about how that concept applies to every one of life's invariably innumerable situations, so the followers have to figure out how it applies and go around in circles trying to do so.

The foregoing is not meant as an indictment of those on this thread but rather my own long-winded answer as to how people should approach a commandment: let your conscience be your guide. It's all God can ask of you. Whether or not you're being honest with yourself is up to you.

And, by the way, I think Nominee brings up an excellent point. One that has been made before but seldom really catches on with Church members, in my opinion. It's way more about what you are consuming rather than what you're not. If you want to talk about overall health, I will put my money any day on the person who drinks alcohol somewhat regularly but also eats a healthy diet versus someone who never drinks but eats/drinks too much sugar, not enough veggies, too much meat, etc.

Same with coffee/tea versus soft drinks. People won't go anywhere near green tea but will suck down Diet Coke like there's no tomorrow. There's something really, really wrong with that picture.

How about the spirit of the law vs looking beyond the mark? It's discussions like these that always make me think of a bunch of rabbis sitting around hashing out interpretations of laws that were written years or even centuries earlier. Give the LDS church enough time and there will be as complex of secondary codification (albeit not all "doctrinal") as there is in Jewish law. It's inevitable, human nature. A concept gets established by a powerful, revered figure who inevitably dies and therefore can't be consulted for clarifications about how that concept applies to every one of life's invariably innumerable situations, so the followers have to figure out how it applies and go around in circles trying to do so.

The foregoing is not meant as an indictment of those on this thread but rather my own long-winded answer as to how people should approach a commandment: let your conscience be your guide. It's all God can ask of you. Whether or not you're being honest with yourself is up to you.

I agree. The spirit of the law is that our bodies are temples for our spirits and we should therefore keep our bodies clean and healthy so it can accomodate a healthy spirit. How we do that might be a little different for each individual. Obedience to the law also includes not being commanded in every little thing (D&C 58:26).

A concept gets established by a powerful, revered figure who inevitably dies and therefore can't be consulted for clarifications about how that concept applies to every one of life's invariably innumerable situations, so the followers have to figure out how it applies and go around in circles trying to do so.

I believe the WoW to be a revelation given by God himself not a concept that was established by a powerful, revered figure who...

In addition, assuming the figure you speak of is the Prophet Joseph Smith, he was not powerful or revered in the worldly sense when this revelation was received by him.

Also, we saints are not left to run in circles trying to figure out how it applies. We have the very gift and ability given to Joseph Smith to help discern these things, the Holy Spirit and personal revelation from God.

...let your conscience be your guide.

Let the Holy Spirit be your guide.

It's all God can ask of you.

I disagree. God can ask for a lot more than for us to just listen to our conscience. He can ask us to accept all the gifts and powers he gives to us so that we can see our way through to Him.

No, unless you get a buz off the dish! I think it would really depend on how much alcohol content is left in the final product. Also how the alcohol is used in the dish, for instance cooking a fruitcake with rum mixed in the dough may be a little different than soaking the already baked cake in rum!

And, by the way, I think Nominee brings up an excellent point. One that has been made before but seldom really catches on with Church members, in my opinion. It's way more about what you are consuming rather than what you're not. If you want to talk about overall health, I will put my money any day on the person who drinks alcohol somewhat regularly but also eats a healthy diet versus someone who never drinks but eats/drinks too much sugar, not enough veggies, too much meat, etc.

Same with coffee/tea versus soft drinks. People won't go anywhere near green tea but will suck down Diet Coke like there's no tomorrow. There's something really, really wrong with that picture.

Exactly! Very well said and simply put. :good:

Edited by Nominee

It is NOW largely a British drink. Early 19th Century America is a different answer.

Do you know of any references indicating that barley water ever caught on among Americans, or in particular was known or used by Mormons circa the 1830s?

Of course, barley water would be considered a "mild drink." But the real question is whether or not beer would also be classified as a "mild drink" in contrast to the "strong drinks" which D&C 89 says are useful for the washing of bodies. Given that the scripture uses the phrase "wine or strong drink," wine itself is apparently not considered to be a strong drink. So anything milder than wine, like beer, would be a "mild drink." Moreover, neither wine nor beer is strong enough to be useful for the "washing of your bodies."