46 replies to this topic

#1 kolipoki09

kolipoki09

Gadianton Rhetor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

Thus far I've only seen it being enforced in the Testing Center, the place where the policy originated (according to an article published today in the Scroll). Otherwise, I don't know how else they plan to enforce it, and who draws the line between "too tight" and "too baggy."

Needless to say, I'm happy to only have a week left before graduation.

Is this going too far? Are the Pharisees alive and well?

http://thestudentrev...s-skinny-jeans/
Academia.edu
"Morman [scholars] is just a bunch of white men trying to figure out how to better hide all there wives. and make it legal for you ppl to be able to vote legally without being jailed." - Ernie Tschikof

#2 calmoriah

calmoriah

Dulce de labris loquuntur, corde vivunt noxio.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,464 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Skinny jeans can be unhealthy. They can cut circulation off and actually cause numbness and other injuries that might not heal in time.

Just as a side note.
When you climb up a ladder, you...begin at the bottom...ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top...so it is with the principles of the Gospel--you must begin with the first...go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world. Joseph Smith
UMW forever!

#3 Gohan

Gohan

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Yep, they're alive and well. Thriving too, despite the cold this week.

I don't even know it was an issue to be honest. But I do tend to be a bit ignorant of things that go on on campus sometimes.

Edited by Gohan, 06 December 2011 - 06:01 PM.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh crap...he's awake!"

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.(John 21:25)

"We're wandering around as strangers looking for things to recognize, and whenever you see something which you know is good, true, and beautiful, that's an act of recognition. And you recognize it as such not by analyzing it, but it comes to your memory, it hits you, 'I've seen that, I know that's right' and so forth." ~ Hugh Nibley

#4 KevinG

KevinG

Outspoken zealot of moderation

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,456 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

If you can see skin pores the jeans are too tight.
Please ask me what I believe before telling me what I believe. Hint- start here: http://lds.org/scriptures/

#5 bluebell

bluebell

Declares a Day of Rest

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,238 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

I think the hard part would be trying to gauge which jeans are 'skinny' and which are just not baggy.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

UMW always and forever.

#6 Sky

Sky

Separates Water & Dry Land

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

It brings back some bittersweet memories of my time at Ricks/BYU-Idaho. There’s no question that the rules are strict. And I’ve always wondered why they are stricter than BYU in Provo. I’ve also wondered if some of the rules actually indirectly encourage rebellion. But I think their intentions are good. They just want to encourage modesty and moral cleanliness.

All in all, my experience there was a positive one. I would not trade it. So my advice to you, for what it’s worth, is to treasure it up as much as possible in spite of its strict rules. Soon it will all be a memory. You will have received a great education that will serve you well throughout your entire life. I hope you are able to look back on it all and smile.

We don't discipline people in this church for very much. In a church of over 12 million people, I keep hearing about the September Six [the 1993 excommunication and disfellowshipping of six Mormon academics]. ... All I'm saying is, I think this church has a history of being very, very generous. There are some lines -- I'd probably say "lines," plural. The chief among these is the issue of advocating against the church. Personal beliefs within the give-and-take of life and associations and whatever you choose -- there are lots of people who carve out their life in the church all the way out to the edge and beyond. I guess that's always the way it's been, and that's always the way it will be. But I think where the church will act is when there is an act so decisive or so glaring, and particularly in this case, so much cast in the spirit of advocacy, that the institution itself cannot retain its identity and still allow that.  -Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

#7 kolipoki09

kolipoki09

Gadianton Rhetor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

Yep, they're alive and well. Thriving too, despite the cold this week.

I don't even know it was an issue to be honest. But I do tend to be a bit ignorant of things that go on on campus sometimes.

Well, at least it will guarantee an eventful hoard of viscous letters to the editor of the Scroll during the last week of the semester (which will "conveniently" never be responded to).
Academia.edu
"Morman [scholars] is just a bunch of white men trying to figure out how to better hide all there wives. and make it legal for you ppl to be able to vote legally without being jailed." - Ernie Tschikof

#8 BCSpace

BCSpace

Right Divider of Systematic LDS Theology

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,157 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

Sometimes, someone from CES escapes and joins Student Life, an organization that by definition runs contrary to the Gospel.

BYU Combined Choirs perform "Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing"
LDS doctrine defined. The first bullet point is the key.
Capitalism from the Lord: Law of Consecration.
Evolution Primer Evolution does not conflict with LDS doctrine in any way.

Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy

#9 KevinG

KevinG

• Contributor
  • 11,456 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

When I was at BYU studying for my Masters in Business I was in the library trying to do research (like most grumpy anti-social grad students).

Some young rebel wannabee strode in with her short shorts on and started a conversation with her friends about how she didn't care what the librarians or test proctors thought, she was going to wear her shorts because they were nice and not indecent, blah, blah, blah... After about 15 minutes of this obvious but failed attempt to get the attention of some authority figure in the library, I strode over and told her. "I don't care if you are naked, but I'd like you to shut up about it so I can get some studying done."
Please ask me what I believe before telling me what I believe. Hint- start here: http://lds.org/scriptures/

#10 One Clear Voice

One Clear Voice

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

Daddy G, I think we all went through all that at one time or the other! Still I believe BYU, here Hawaii, Idaho, etc., should settle for nothing less than a moderate standard in dress codes. Let's set and keep a few examples!

#11 blackstrap

blackstrap

Brings Forth Plants

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

There was a big fuss in a Catholic school in Ontario.An edict came about girls wearing yoga pants.It said they must also wear a long over shirt. Apparently the LULULEMON pants are like wearing opaque panty hose.

#12 KevinG

KevinG

• Contributor
  • 11,456 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

No ifs ands or Buttocks!

#13 calmoriah

calmoriah

• Contributor
  • 42,464 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

Just so long as they include no guy's underwear showing and hopefully no pants where the crotch is down by the knees....just not attractive to look at.
When you climb up a ladder, you...begin at the bottom...ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top...so it is with the principles of the Gospel--you must begin with the first...go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world. Joseph Smith
UMW forever!

#14 Storm Rider

Storm Rider

Brings Forth Plants

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

Thus far I've only seen it being enforced in the Testing Center, the place where the policy originated (according to an article published today in the Scroll). Otherwise, I don't know how else they plan to enforce it, and who draws the line between "too tight" and "too baggy."

Needless to say, I'm happy to only have a week left before graduation.

http://thestudentrev...s-skinny-jeans/

I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves. This is a true principle. Every time we create a new law, a new policy to force individuals into obedience, we take a step away from the Savior and the plan of God and we take step closer to fulfilling the plan of Satan. At no time are leaders more foolish than in a pique of righteousness they think it best to force people to heaven.

My daughter attended to this institution for one year; it is not an institution I recommend to others.
Storm Rider

When from Thy stern tutoring, I would quickly flee, turn me from my Tarshish to where is best for me. Help me in my Nineveh to serve with love and truth; not on a hillside posted, mid shade of gourd or booth. When my modest suffering seems so vexing, wrong, and sore, may I recall what freely flowed from each and every pore. Dear Lord of the Abba Cry, Help me in my duress to endure it well enough and to say, . . . 'Nevertheless.'” - Neal A. Maxwell

#15 frankenstein

frankenstein

Brings Forth Plants

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:33 AM

Sometimes, someone from CES escapes and joins Student Life, an organization that by definition runs contrary to the Gospel.

Which organization are you referring CES or Student life being contrary to the gospel

#16 frankenstein

frankenstein

Brings Forth Plants

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:44 AM

What did the Cybermen say to the emotional human?

DELETE!

Edited by frankenstein, 07 December 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#17 Gohan

Gohan

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

http://www.byuicomm....ming-standards/

Here's another article about it. The Testing Center comes off pretty bad from it. The guy from there that they interviewed was trying to make them look a bit better, but wasn't really succeeding. At least it clarifies that the enforcement is pretty much limited to there and not campus in general.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh crap...he's awake!"

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.(John 21:25)

"We're wandering around as strangers looking for things to recognize, and whenever you see something which you know is good, true, and beautiful, that's an act of recognition. And you recognize it as such not by analyzing it, but it comes to your memory, it hits you, 'I've seen that, I know that's right' and so forth." ~ Hugh Nibley

#18 kolipoki09

kolipoki09

Gadianton Rhetor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, the people have spoken and the people have won.

Just released:

Wondering if skinny jeans are allowed on campus? They are. BYU-Idaho's longstanding dress & grooming standards promote principles of modesty and restrict formfitting clothing, but skinny jeans are not singled out or prohibited. In addition, the Testing Center issue reported in Scroll has been corrected and is no longer in force.

Academia.edu

#19 calmoriah

calmoriah

• Contributor
  • 42,464 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

Well when there is a significant increase of childless couples in the Church we will know who to blame.....especially since skinny jeans are becoming popular among men as well apparently.

FWIW...

http://infertility-f...rtility-in.html

Men may have the same problem with tight clothing causing low sperm count, though the research is old and not solid.
UMW forever!

#20 frankenstein

frankenstein

Brings Forth Plants

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, the people have spoken and the people have won.

Just released:

"Wondering if skinny jeans are allowed on campus? They are. BYU-Idaho's longstanding dress & grooming standards promote principles of modesty and restrict formfitting clothing, but skinny jeans are not singled out or prohibited. In addition, the Testing Center issue reported in Scroll has been corrected and is no longer in force.

If skinny jeans - which look horrid on a male a good on few females - are not "form fitting" then what is "form fitting"?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Honor Code, Pharisees

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users