Sign in to follow this  
Bill "Papa" Lee

Would You Wish To Live In A Post Apocalyptic World? “Being Prepared”.

Not to mention making primers for your cartridges- and then you run out of lead for bullets!

Black powder is good too- if you have enough lead laying around.

I would rather live in a post apocalyptic world than die in an apocalypse.

I don't have a wish to live in a PA scenario.

I have tried to prepare for temporary emergencies (4 weeks if we stretch it). We could do better in that category.

I am a gun buff and maintain enough small arms to equip Mrs. Mudcat and the Mudkittens for home/community defense.... they are all pretty good shots to boot.

Ethics and honor would likely fly out the window for people who don't have food, but do have plenty of ammo. I would care not to experience that sort of life or contend against those who are dealing from desperate points.

Making primers isn't all that hard. The bullets themselves need not be made of lead, but any relatively soft heavy metal.

But there are hard times coming…I told them, I would rater watch from the other side and not this one.

Back in 1979 (the year I joined the Church) I had to go through 5 weeks of intensive N.B.C. (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical), to be though how to survive in such an environment. By the end of that class, I realized that I would not want to live in such a world.

How do any of you feel, would you like to live through the tribulation or just watch from heaven?

During the Cold War, a few conservative Mormon leaders started to adopt an essentially-Evangelical eschatology that is quite foreign to traditional Mormonism. The original Mormon eschatology, the one developed by Joseph Smith, included the idea of a Zion, which was a safe place of refuge for not only Mormons but other righteous "gentiles". Though there would be wars, the righteous would wait out those wars in relative peace and safety, and then when earthly governments destroyed themselves, the government of Zion would step forward and rule the earth during the Millennium as a theocratic monarchy, with periodic appearances by Jesus to provide advice and counsel. There was none of this Evangelical "fire and brimstone from above" tribulation theory in Joseph Smith's eschatology. So no, as long as you believe in Joseph Smith's eschatology, there is no post-apocalyptic hell for surviving Mormons.

Edited by Cobalt-70

During the Cold War, a few conservative Mormon leaders (like Ezra Taft Benson and Boyd K. Packer) started to adopt an essentially-Evangelical eschatology that is quite foreign to traditional Mormonism. Now that the Cold War is history, though, and these cold warriors are dying off, I think this idea has nearly run its course. The original Mormon eschatology, the one developed by Joseph Smith, included the idea of a Zion, which was a safe place of refuge for not only Mormons but other righteous "gentiles". Though there would be wars, the righteous would wait out those wars in relative peace and safety, and then when earthly governments destroyed themselves, the government of Zion would step forward and rule the earth during the Millennium as a theocratic monarchy, with periodic appearances by Jesus to provide advice and counsel. There was none of this Evangelical tribulation and rapture theory in Joseph Smith's eschatology. So no, as long as you believe in Joseph Smith's eschatology rather than that of the 20th century Mormon cold warriors, there is no post-apocalyptic hell for surviving Mormons.

post-apocalyptic may be too strong a word. What about living in one where people will kill you for a meal?

post-apocalyptic may be too strong a word. What about living in one where people will kill you for a meal?

Oh is that all?

You mean like living in LA on any given day? ;)

That does not mean it will be easy. When the church moved west there were those who did not go because of physical inability and there were some who did go and died on the way, because of physical inabilty. Some of us have reached a point that we realize that it is our modern convieniences that make it possible for us to go on and lead productive lives.

For this kind of situation, I turn to John 16, especially the last verse in the chapter. The tribulation for the disciples at that time was not having the companionship of the Holy Ghost and the resultant fear, loss and distress, especially with the heads-up Jesus gave them about the difficulties to come. But He also promised them that once they got the Holy Ghost they could face any tribulation.

Sometimes when we suffer tribulation, or perhaps more so when we can’t relieve others’ suffering, we can feel as lost as these disciples must have felt. We are assured that we will be tried in all things, but also that we will have the companionship of the Holy Ghost. Many can testify that in their extremity they found that which is most eternally significant.

I believe that we were reserved for the age of modern convenience for both our application of these inventions in the service of the Lord and for being tested in the event we lose them, most poignantly those that sustain life. The peace I find is in Christ having overcome all things for me, whether I realize them in this life or the next.

My response to post-apocolyptic hypotheticals...

Not the people in Zion. For those in Zion (who would be living the United Order of Enoch), all they need to do is ask for food, and all their basic needs would be provided for by the collective. The wicked people who might kill you for food would not be admitted to Zion. (They would be like the unprepared virgins from Jesus' parable.)

Making primers isn't all that hard. The bullets themselves need not be made of lead, but any relatively soft heavy metal.

Yeah but crossbows are almost silent. Pffffft.

Bwahhahhahhahahah. ;)

I am too tired...

Regarding the training you got in 1979: I’m in that very line of work as we speak. People in the ward keep asking me what to do if x, y, z were to happen. I tell them to heed the counsel of our leaders and the Holy Ghost—that is how you will not have to live in such a world, but in “holy places” instead.

That kind of knowledge, skill and ability in emergency/disaster/all-hazards preparedness and response is great to have, but you may apply it in a way that actually blesses people, moves the Lord's work forward and improves the world we're in.

And the Lord will give you rest one way or the other!

Bwahhahhahhahahah. ;)

Using the principles in this book as a survival resource is indispensable.

http://coralcastlebook.com/

Ah yes, and then there is ham radio.....

Why would you make a radio out of a pig......?

To hide it from vegetarians. (I resisted making this a Jewish or Muslim joke)

Bwahhahhahhahahah. ;)

Indeed. My instructional programming includes cross-bow demonstrations. The instructor is a little socially backward but he seems to have a good heart.

I am a member of PETA

People Eating Tasty Animals.

Indeed. My instructional programming includes cross-bow demonstrations. The instructor is a little socially backward but he seems to have a good heart.

Gosh, I didn't know you were in my class!

Oh wait.... you said a little socially backward and a good heart....

I've been watching an instructional program about fighting off waves of Zombies so... yep... I think I'm ready.

Not yet, Grasshopper. You have yet to work though paralyzing fear, using quick thinking and instincts to survive; I recommend you start playing Nazi Zombies.

Not yet, Grasshopper. You have yet to work though paralyzing fear, using quick thinking and instincts to survive; I recommend you start playing Nazi Zombies.

Oh believe me, I've played zombie killing games! I've planted sunflowers and peashooters until my fingers bled (or at least went numb...). I am a zombie killing machine, my friend. a zombie killing machine. ;)

Oh believe me, I've played zombie killing games! I've planted sunflowers and peashooters until my fingers bled (or at least went numb...). I am a zombie killing machine, my friend. a zombie killing machine. ;)

Then may I present you with this:

398952153v22_160x160_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

Edited by seriously honestly

We have enough crowbars for all members of the family and a couple of machetes for good measure...and I recommend this book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide

Edited by calmoriah

Then may I present you with this:

398952153v22_160x160_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

Yep. I'm licensed to carry.

I'm a big believer in teaching kids to shoot, too.

I bought all my children air soft guns to prepare for the impending invasion. My oldest boy asked what good plastic pellets would be since they'd just bounce off the zombies.

Ahh the naivete of childhood. LOL.

I had to reassure him that once he's as good a shot as I am, he can get 10 or 20 of those little BBs in the zombies' ears and then they'll rattle when they walk. It's an early warning system.

Kids have no imagination anymore...