Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
altersteve

Last Movie You Watched

Recommended Posts

On 5/22/2019 at 9:41 PM, Tacenda said:

I know this isn't a movie, but I sure like the new series called: "Bless this Mess", about a couple from NY who moved to a farm in a very small town and all the antics of moving into an old decrepid home with some land, but having troubles living off of the land and they end up with a bunch of chickens. So far it isn't vulgar or something that turns me off when watching like other shows and I rarely get hooked on a series anymore, none in fact except now I'm a little more normal. I used to like watching "Dallas" or a few other night soaps. So I was glad to see one I look forward to. 

Which brings me to another thought. I'm wondering how many out there had a grandparent that lived on a farm or relative? I did and it was such a blast to visit, and climb large haystacks, being on a swing in the large barn, running from an angry rooster, playing on a tire swing from a tree, sitting/laying by an old coal stove and listening to the conversations of my grandparents/parents, walking down the street to the teeny tiny store in Fayette Utah to buy a popsicle or a Squirt. 

This Sunday I'm planning a trip down to visit my parent's graves near there and I will make sure to show my grandsons my wonderland playground on the farm. Just thinking that nowadays most kids won't get that opportunity anymore now that the land is being gobbled up and sold to become subdivsions. 

So not movie related, but how many had the fun of having grandparents or other relatives with farms and good memories from it? I was a city kid, so I guess it was something different and still in my heart of hearts wish I lived like that. But it won't ever happen.

Those sound like wonderful memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

Those sound like wonderful memories.

Thanks bluebell, we did go and visit the farm, sadly no barns, no haystacks, everything is gone but the home. But still fun, except my grandsons barely looked up, from their youtube shows. :(

Edited by Tacenda

Share this post


Link to post

Hubby and I have  been watching the HBO miniseris Chernobyl and it has been so well done, really interesting, and also very sad.  It's about the Chernobyl disaster in Soviet Russia and how it came to happen and what was done about it, including the secrecy of communist russia that made everything really difficult.  I encourage anyone who is interested in history or disaster shows to watch if they are able.  It's TV-MA for the content of course, and sometimes there is language.  There has also been one episode with nudity but it was not at all sexual in nature. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

Hubby and I have  been watching the HBO miniseris Chernobyl and it has been so well done, really interesting, and also very sad.  It's about the Chernobyl disaster in Soviet Russia and how it came to happen and what was done about it, including the secrecy of communist russia that made everything really difficult.  I encourage anyone who is interested in history or disaster shows to watch if they are able.  It's TV-MA for the content of course, and sometimes there is language.  There has also been one episode with nudity but it was not at all sexual in nature. 

I have been watching this as well and have been fascinated by it.  There is a companion podcast that I have been following as well.  It gives background information on the creation of the series by the writer and producer Craig Mazin.  

The last episode is next Monday, so if you don't have HBO you can sign up for a free week of HBO NOW and watch the whole thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Took my grandsons to the movie "Shazam!". Very entertaining, and more intense than I thought, and many funny moments mixed in, touching as well. Highly recommend this movie, it will definitely not disappoint. 

Edited by Tacenda

Share this post


Link to post

Hobbs and Shaw, a mildly exciting shoot em up. 

Share this post


Link to post

I thought I had reported on this one previously but couldn't find it so I will here...

One of the best scariest movies I've ever seen... A Quiet Place is "a masterpiece that will scare for generations."  

In this "mind-blowingly tense" thriller, a family must live their lives in silence to avoid mysterious creatures who have invaded our world, and who hunt by sound.  Knowing that even the slightest sound can bring death, Evelyn (Emily Blunt) and Lee (John Krasinski) are determined to find a way to protect and raise their children while they desperately search for a way to fight back.  Hailed by critics as "sensationally gripping" and "heart pounding."  I agree... 

GG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Absolutely one of my favorite movies this year, "Blinded by the Light". Inspired by a true story, and if you're a Bruce Springsteen fan, you'll love it. I wasn't a huge fan, but now that I've heard/seen Bruce's lyrics that I didn't know he wrote, I'm a fan. It's a heartwarming family movie too. 

Edited by Tacenda

Share this post


Link to post

We just finished Red Sea Diving Club on Netflix, with a starry cast including Chris Evans and Ben Kingsley. It is about Israel agents posing as managers of a tourist hotel on the Sudan coast, in order to help Ethiopian Jews escape to Jerusalem by water.  Based on a true story, and very inspiring and of course heart-wrenching.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

We just finished Red Sea Diving Club on Netflix, with a starry cast including Chris Evans and Ben Kingsley. It is about Israel agents posing as managers of a tourist hotel on the Sudan coast, in order to help Ethiopian Jews escape to Jerusalem by water.  Based on a true story, and very inspiring and of course heart-wrenching.

I saw that on Netflix and wondered if it was any good.  I'll have to check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/6/2019 at 6:22 PM, Garden Girl said:

I thought I had reported on this one previously but couldn't find it so I will here...

One of the best scariest movies I've ever seen... A Quiet Place is "a masterpiece that will scare for generations."  

In this "mind-blowingly tense" thriller, a family must live their lives in silence to avoid mysterious creatures who have invaded our world, and who hunt by sound.  Knowing that even the slightest sound can bring death, Evelyn (Emily Blunt) and Lee (John Krasinski) are determined to find a way to protect and raise their children while they desperately search for a way to fight back.  Hailed by critics as "sensationally gripping" and "heart pounding."  I agree... 

GG

CONCUR !

Not for the lighthearted, had to ask if everyone was alright afterwards ____ little one covered her eyes AND I CERTAINLY THOUGHT ABOUT THAT TOO ! this film will scare the mmm ah scare the pants off you ! for lack of colourful words.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I highly recommend the movie "The Peanut Butter Falcon"! The main actor has Down's Syndrome and this movie was produced to making a movie that would fit this young man, who's dreamed since young of being an actor. 

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-peanut-butter-falcon-2019

It sounds really good.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/18/2019 at 6:25 PM, Tacenda said:

I highly recommend the movie "The Peanut Butter Falcon"! The main actor has Down's Syndrome and this movie was produced to making a movie that would fit this young man, who's dreamed since young of being an actor. 

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-peanut-butter-falcon-2019

Hubby and I saw it last night and I really liked it.  It was well done and has a lot of heart.  The twist at the end was nice.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/20/2019 at 1:39 PM, Tacenda said:

Absolutely one of my favorite movies this year, "Blinded by the Light". Inspired by a true story, and if you're a Bruce Springsteen fan, you'll love it. I wasn't a huge fan, but now that I've heard/seen Bruce's lyrics that I didn't know he wrote, I'm a fan. It's a heartwarming family movie too. 

I saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. The acting and directing were both superb, and the soundtrack is pretty great too.

Loved the scene where he's working in the market, sees the girl, and then it slowly builds to him serenading her to Thunder Road.

The whole film was just very sweet. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ad Astra with Brad Pitt.  The movie has received good reviews, but I did not like it. Good special effects, but the plot was lacking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, sunstoned said:

Ad Astra with Brad Pitt.  The movie has received good reviews, but I did not like it. Good special effects, but the plot was lacking.

We almost went to see that because critic scores were so high but then I looked at movie goer reviews and they were not good.  A lot of people compared it to 2001: A Space Odyssey.  Hearing your review, I'm glad that we choose something else.  I like a good space movie, but not when it's more about metaphorical things then action adventure.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, bluebell said:

We almost went to see that because critic scores were so high but then I looked at movie goer reviews and they were not good.  A lot of people compared it to 2001: A Space Odyssey.  Hearing your review, I'm glad that we choose something else.  I like a good space movie, but not when it's more about metaphorical things then action adventure.

It was awful!

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

It was awful!

That’s what I was afraid of. :(  

Movie options haven’t been that great lately. I was excited for this one until the reviews came out. I’m sad Hollywood ruined it. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

That’s what I was afraid of. :(  

Movie options haven’t been that great lately. I was excited for this one until the reviews came out. I’m sad Hollywood ruined it. 

Seems like new really good movies are few and far between these days... and the "remakes" are never as good ordinarily.   

GG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

Seems like new really good movies are few and far between these days... and the "remakes" are never as good ordinarily.   

GG

There have been so many remakes and they are NEVER as good as the original.  This summer I think they re-did 3 or 4 didn't they (if they weren't remakes they were sequels)?  It's starting to get embarrassing for Hollywood. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

Seems like new really good movies are few and far between these days... and the "remakes" are never as good ordinarily.   

GG

There's always Downton Abbey. 😊 But IMO, it does help if you've watched the 6 seasons of the TV series. I loved the movie.

M.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Maureen said:

There's always Downton Abbey. 😊 But IMO, it does help if you've watched the 6 seasons of the TV series. I loved the movie.

M.

I’m seeing it Thursday and I’m nervous that they are going to mess everything up because I really liked how everyone’s story ended when the series was over. 
 

I don’t want them messing with all of the happily ever afters. 

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, everyone beat me to it, I was thinking ' Downton Abbey  '  ..the other one I couldn't stand, kind of a waste of time... something sci fiction Brad Pitt fellow.

Oh and one of the JOAN movies, she died on the stake but before that IT WAS THE BEST ! reminded me of JAEL or DEBORAH in Judges document.

JOAN OF ARC .... I couldn't recall I had a sometimers moment I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, bluebell said:

I’m seeing it Thursday and I’m nervous that they are going to mess everything up because I really liked how everyone’s story ended when the series was over. 
 

I don’t want them messing with all of the happily ever afters. 

I think you'll like it.

M.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...