altersteve

Last Movie You Watched

A very remarkable video;  

Edited by cdowis

I have a large film library, and it is fun to decide what I want to watch... last night I chose an oldie titled "Broken Trail" starring Robert Duvall (one of my favorite actors)... this is the story of Duvall and his nephew (Thomas Haden Church) starting a trail drive of horses from Oregon to Wyoming... along the way they come across a human trafficker with 5 oriental girls who had been sold into slavery in San Francisco by their families... to be taken to the gold fields for prostitution... they end up killing the trafficker and rescuing the girls (who do not speak English)... they stop in a small town to try and find authorities to take the girls... but no sheriff, no mayor, etc... everyone just live and let live... (they managed to rescue a prostitute, and a Chinese man who was able to act as interpretor ) so they and the girls stayed with them on the drive...  This is one of the most beautifully filmed movies I've seen... shot mostly in Canada... the backdrop of the scenery/mountains with the story and the herd of approx 500 horses was exquisite... lots of action on the journey... good story... I encourage people to find this film and rent it as it is a real beauty...  (Netflicks?)

A few days ago I watched another Robert Duvall western titled "Open Range"... Co-starring Kevin Costner... another beautifully filmed movie with an excellent story... Duvall said he considered these two films, plus "Lonesome Dove" to be a trilogy of westerns he considers to be some of his finest work... I do too...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Incredible 2 on Netflix.

I want a whole movie with Jack-Jack and Auntie Edna.

• Like 1

We saw Miss Bala this weekend. It’s a solidly entertaining movie, no sex (though there are sexual themes a few times) and not much swearing (typically PG-13 stuff). 

It’s about a Mexican American who gets kidnapped by a drug cartel and then equally used by the DEA, and has to basically save herself and her friend because all the men around her are too busy exploiting her for their own benefit. 

I saw Glass. If you like Unbreakable and Split, you will, most likely like this one too. 

2 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I saw Glass. If you like Unbreakable and Split, you will, most likely like this one too. 

Rented both Unbreakable and Split so that I could gear up for Glass soon. I see how they all tie in. Glad I didn't just see Glass alone now.

1 minute ago, Tacenda said:

Rented both Unbreakable and Split so that I could gear up for Glass soon. I see how they all tie in. Glad I didn't just see Glass alone now.

Glass should not be watched if you haven’t seen the other two. Did you like it?

2 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I liked Split fine but the only thing I remember about Unbreakable is that it was boring. 

Did you like Glass?

44 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I liked Split fine but the only thing I remember about Unbreakable is that it was boring. 

Did you like Glass?

I remembered disliking Unbreakable the first time I saw it but rewatched and enjoyed it more the 2nd time. I did enjoy Glass. It was different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Glass should not be watched if you haven’t seen the other two. Did you like it?

I'm going tomorrow. But so glad I watched the first two now.

8 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I remembered disliking Unbreakable the first time I saw it but rewatched and enjoyed it more the 2nd time. I did enjoy Glass. It was different.

That's why I normally really like M. Night Whatshisname movies-they are different!  I'll give Glass a try.

10 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Unbreakable starts off the series because without it, you wouldn't get the man that was very breakable, or like "glass"! ;) 

Bruce Willis is in all three movies. But if you didn't watch Split to the very end, you might miss him. My husband did, and my friends who told me that no-one that is is Unbreakable is in Split. Bruce being in Split is pivotol to the whole series.

I just watched the most heart warming and touching movie on Netflix called The Fundamentals of Caring". I had been skipping it several times and glad I finally played it!! When a movie touches me to tears, it's a good one! 

Another good one I watched the other day on Netflix was "Before We Go". 

Edited by Tacenda

Watched Peter Rabbit on Netflix.  I recommend it to anyone who appreciates British humor.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I watched an Oldie that was shown on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) ... "Forever Amber" starring Linda Darnell and Cornel Wilde, about a beautiful but poor tavern waitress (Darnell) set in an English village... she has apirations of going to London and improving her status... because of her beauty, ambition, and feminine wiles she rises to a royal title... absolutely beautiful film production and period costumes... strong story... I love the "oldies"  because of the richness of the productions that didn't rely on special effects, crashing cars, indiscriminate sex and violence... the stories were the barometer...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 1

I am so delighted... I enjoy most of the Hallmark Hall of Fame movies, particularly two that I have watched whenever I noticed they would be aired...recently I noticed in a catalog that BOTH of these films are now out on DVD so I ordered them and can now watch them whenever I want... both are wonderfully romantic...  they are:

1)  The Magic of Ordinary Days... set during WWII...  the story of Livvy (Kerri Russell), the daughter of the local pastor in their mid-western city.  Livvy, a graduate student at the university, is seeing a soldier who is shipped out before she realizes she is pregnant.  Her pastor father arranges with another pastor friend from a rural area for her to move to the remote rural farming community to marry a local farmer, Ray, (Skeet Ulrich), a stranger to Livvy.  She travels by train and as she disembarks goes directly to his community... about an hour away and there is married to him.  What enfolds is the story of their life together as it develops, leading up to the birth of her baby...She doesn't plan on staying long, and she certainly doesn't plan to fall in love... but she's never met a man like this honest, kind, hard-working farmer.  Ray adores his new wife... but discovers it will take more than his love and commitment to make her stay.  It will take faith and forgiveness... and a small miracle...

2)  Loving Leah...  Leah Lever (Lauren Ambrose) is married to an Orthodox rabbi in New York city, Benjamin Lever, whose brother, Jake, (Adam Kaufmann) is a successful cardiologist in Washington DC, and a non-practicing Jew.  Jake is stunned when Benjamin dies suddenly, but not so stunned as when he is told that, under ancient Jewish law, he is expected to marry the childless Leah to carry on Benjamin's name.  The only alternative is to go through a ceremony where Jake must deny his brother's existence.  For Jake, who idolized his brother, that is  unthinkable... so he impulsively suggests to Leah that they get married (at least temporarily), and maintain a secretly platonic relationship.  Eager to pursue her own dreams, Leah accepts.  Their oversimplified plan to live separate lives under the same roof proves challenging, particularly because of Leah's mother... and Jake's girlfriend... The more they try to disguise their "pretend" marriage, the more their appreciation for each other's worlds grows... and out of understanding a real love develops.  Loving Leah is a heartwarming story with moments of gentle humor...  

GG

• Like 2

On 1/24/2019 at 9:40 PM, katherine the great said:

I’m madly in love with Robert Duvall. ❤️

Don't worry, we won't tell your husband. ;):D

I just watched October Sky, the film adaptation of the book Rocket Boys by retired NASA engineer Homer H. Hickham Jr.  (Here's the Rotten Tomatoes entry on the film.  Surprisingly, critics were slightly more sold on the film than audiences were, and that's not usually how things play out on Rotten Tomatoes: Usually, it's the other way around.)  If you haven't seen it yet, the rest of my post gives away important plot points, so you might want to watch the movie before reading the rest of my post.  (I wish we had a "spoiler alert" tag that readers could hover over if they want to see information that has been concealed to avoid giving away spoilers.)

Anyway, truly a great, great film in my book.  Perhaps I'm turning into a sentimental old fool, and/or perhaps I simply don't recognize being emotionally manipulated when it happens to me, but this film always makes me misty eyed.  I don't know whether it's Miss Riley's death, or the family conflict and dynamics between Homer and his father, or the salt-of-the-earth folks living a rather simple (if difficult) life in a working-class town, or the way they rally around Homer as a favorite son and local boy who makes good and does the whole town proud, (or maybe all of these), but something about this film always gets to me.

I included a brief synopsis of the film, as well as alluding to some reasons why I'm so moved by it, in an extensive essay on heroism on my Blog in 2013.  The essay is quite long, but still, I think the entire thing is well worth a read (but then, I would ;)).  For those of you who are not so inclined, here's the "money quote":

I’m also reminded of the movie October Sky, which tells the story of how then-NASA engineer-to-be Homer Hickham, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, was inspired to take the career path he did, as he and his classmates win First Prize at a science fair for their successful rocket design. Homer, desperate to find a way to avoid following in his father’s footsteps in the West Virginia coal mines, sets his sights higher—both literally and figuratively.

Homer’s aspirations lead to conflict between Homer and his father, John, played by Chris Cooper, who believes that Homer looks down on him because he makes his living at manual labor. After the successful launch, without realizing it, Homer is congratulated by Dr. Werner Von Braun, a pioneer in rocket design and a major early contributor to the U.S. space program, whom he greatly admires. “Heard you met your big hero and didn’t even know it,” Homer’s dad later tells him. It is implied that the rift between the two is mended when Homer replies, “Dr. Von Braun is a great scientist, but he isn’t my hero.”

And here's the essay in its entirety: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/on-heroism/

• Like 1