altersteve

Last Movie You Watched

32 minutes ago, Rivers said:

Ebenezer Scrooge was also kind of a jerk. 

Geoge Bailey was more complex of a character. But like Scrooge, he became a better person at the end of the story. His story demonstrates that people can be jerks and still have a positive influence in the world.

Is there something wrong with me, why don't I think George was that big of a jerk?! Yeah, he didn't want to get to get married early in life because he had been tied down at the home builder and loan company and wanted to get out of the small town and travel a bit. He saved his brother in the ice pond, and lost hearing on one side. He helped a lady who everyone in town thought was bad and treated her like a human being. When his father died he stayed with the building and loan instead of thinking of himself. When it was his honeymoon and he and his new bride were about to leave on their honeymoon, they stopped short of going because there was a run on the bank and people wanted their money out of the building and loan company and he gave all of his honeymoon money to customers that wouldn't wait to take all their money out. The part that bluebell mentioned with the disrobing of the woman, it was when he first met his soon to be wife and they had fallen into a pool at a dance and had to get out of their clothes at the school and were in robes. He accidently stepped on her robe and it fell off and she ran into the bushes, they were walking home from the dance. More to the story though. He was a well loved man and he and his wife helped many get into homes rather than rent their whole lives. And he and his wife lived in a beat up old home. I guess people view things totally different. I can't believe I'm trying so hard to defend this movie, I need to get a life, lol. 

George was a bundle of mixed messages to himself.  I think he comes across as a jerk because of his focus at most times in the movie on what he didn't have.  But he had positive feelings about his life as well as evidenced by his choices to help people and especially evidenced by how much people loved him.  People pick up on resentment.  If he was really oozing it all the time, the spontaneous expression of love and joy surrounding him wouldn't be happening.  The movie is kind of rub your nose in his dissatisfaction for the plot and moral of the story, but there is nothing wrong with focusing on the positive side of his nature (if this was real life) if that is what hits you the most.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rivers said:

Ebenezer Scrooge was also kind of a jerk. 

Geoge Bailey was more complex of a character. But like Scrooge, he became a better person at the end of the story. His story demonstrates that people can be jerks and still have a positive influence in the world.

I think the difference, for me, in those two men is that Ebenezer Scrooge was portrayed as a jerk.  The movie is the story of his redemption.  But It's a Wonderful Life portrays George Bailey as a really good guy, who singlehandedly saved a town (and people) from ruin.  :) 

Edited by bluebell

21 hours ago, Tacenda said:

The part that bluebell mentioned with the disrobing of the woman, it was when he first met his soon to be wife and they had fallen into a pool at a dance and had to get out of their clothes at the school and were in robes. He accidently stepped on her robe and it fell off and she ran into the bushes, they were walking home from the dance. 

Yes, the disrobing was an accident.  Leaving her naked in the bushes for a few minutes while he laughed and teased her was a choice.   I wouldn't feel very lovingly towards a guy that did that to my daughter.  I know he does some wonderful things for the town.  He just doesn't treat his wife or kids very well.  (even though they were making the same sacrifices that he made).  :) 

Edit-added a smiley face because I wasn't sure the tone of my post was coming through correctly.  

Edited by bluebell

Mrs. Doubtfire is one my favorites. Stumbled across this youtube with the actors reminiscing Robin Williams and shooting the film. Fun hearing their stories. 

Two new movies....liked one, loved the second.

The Christmas Chronicles...ok feel good Netflix Christmas pot boiler, clever idea, good effects, some PG stuff

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs...loved this brand new Coen Brothers movie on Netflix...6 Western-themed vignettes, from the hilarious to the tear-jerkingly tragic and everything in between, with incredibly intelligent writing, beautiful scenery, great music, lots of surprises,  and superb cinematography. Deserves a lot of awards, IMO. Sister Gui and our basement-dwelling son Talentissimo enthusiastically share my opinion. 

Edited by Bernard Gui

Saw Instant Family last night and thought it was really good. It’s funny, it’s touching, and it has a great message. Even my husband, who hates sappy movies, really liked it. 

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

Saw Instant Family last night and thought it was really good. It’s funny, it’s touching, and it has a great message. Even my husband, who hates sappy movies, really liked it. 

Loved that movie!

Saw Miracle on 34th Street (or is it 43rd Street?) tonight again -- the newer version with Richard Attenborough -- because it is one of my wife's favorite flicks.  I told her that I really dislike the film.  She asked "Then why are their tears in your eyes?"  I told her that I dislike it because it always chokes me up and makes me cry!

It makes me want to believe in Santa Claus, too.  Highly annoying, because I get really crabby about all the Santa/Elves/Reindeers/Trees/Lights/Snow/Etc, because it's Christ that is supposed to be the center of it all and we spend way too much time and energy on pagan traditions.  But M34thStreet, and its fellow traveler ItsAWonderfulLife, always turn me into a blubbering, sappy pile of sentimentality.  Dang it.

Just finished "Larry Crowne" on Netflix. Second time watching, really liked it more the second time around. With Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks. Recommend it for sure!

Just saw Green Book in the theater.  I really loved this film, a true story.  

It’s about a wealthy black musician touring the south in the 50s and the relationship he develops with his Italian driver. 

It speaks on racism and change of heart. 

We watched The Dawn Wall on OnDemand last night and it was really good!  It's a documentary about a climber who decided to climb the Free climb the Dawn Wall in Yosemite (it's a part of El Capitan).  It is considered the most difficult face of rock (some 3,000 feet) in the world and had never been climbed before.  It took this guy and a friend 7 years to finally accomplish it (during the final push they lived on the wall for over 15 days!) and it's really inspiration and just plain interesting!  I recommend it.  

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 1:18 PM, bluebell said:

Finally watched Wind River last night.  It's currently on Netflix.

It's rated R and I rarely watch R movies but I made an exception for this one because it's from the area of Wyoming where I grew up and have been through hundreds of times (the Wind River Indian Reservation) and the premise of the movie is to bring to light the dangers that Native America women face in their day to day lives.  There are swear words but very little.  There are no sex scenes and the only nudity is peripheral and immediately related to the storyline.  There is a rape scene but I fast forwarded through it.  It only lasts about 30 seconds and there isn't any nudity that I could tell, though it's violent and difficult to watch (which is why I chose not to).

It was an incredibly well done movie, with amazing actors.  The story is poignant and important.  The scenery (though very little was shot on the Reservation because it's so expensive to film in Wyoming) was spot on for that area of the state (most of it was shot on the border between Utah and Wyoming though some principle filming was done in the actual towns), including the housing.  The only thing that was less than authentic was a depiction of a camp around an oil drilling rig.  Oil workers would never have been armed like those men were.

Watching right now, thanks!

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:04 AM, Tacenda said:

Mrs. Doubtfire is one my favorites. Stumbled across this youtube with the actors reminiscing Robin Williams and shooting the film. Fun hearing their stories. 

Thanks for posting this -- I really enjoyed watching this video!

On 12/2/2018 at 11:28 AM, bluebell said:

Saw Instant Family yesterday. What a well done show. I really loved it.

• Like 1

Christmas Chronicles on Netflix.

Kurt Russell is the coolest Santa ever.

I’ve seen Bumblebee, Mary Poppins and Instant family over the holidays and Instant family was my favorite. I should have loved Mary Poppins but it was flat/something not quite right. Bumblebee was a throwback eighties movie with a weak plot but better than the other transformer movies.

rewatched Unbreakable from the year 2000. I enjoyed the creepy movie Split last year and wanted to be ready for the movie Glass which brings the three characters together.  I think I enjoyed Unbreakable more now than I did when I first watched it years ago.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

it was flat/something not quite right.

My family felt the same, better if thought of as divorced from the first movie, but still not a lot of life and some quite disjointed parts.

Edited by Calm

Posted (edited)

I went to the new Spiderman movie with my grandsons, I liked it, it sometimes made me dizzy and afterwards driving down the road in West Valley I felt like I was in the movie. Movies have that affect on me. My grandson said he liked it better than Bumblebee and he had said how much he loved that, so good sign there. It was animated but very real looking as well. 

Edited by Tacenda

Mary Poppins was boring. 

Aquaman was much better.  

These are the only movies playing nearby!

The Edge with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin.   Those were some intense bear scenes.

54 minutes ago, Rivers said:

The Edge with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin.   Those were some intense bear scenes.

That’s a good movie. 

@Tacenda I finally watched Lars and the Real Girl last night.  It was good. Weird.  But good. 

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

@Tacenda I finally watched Lars and the Real Girl last night.  It was good. Weird.  But good. 

It was weird, in a good kind of way. I guess I liked the townspeople & family that went along with his weirdness, lol! Thanks for letting me know!