Sign in to follow this  
altersteve

Last Movie You Watched

1 hour ago, rodheadlee said:

Captain Ron, Overboard.

Loved both of these movies. I can watch Overboard over and over! Did you know there is another movie coming out that is a remake but has Kurt Russell's part played as a woman, and Goldie's part will be a wealthy man. 

8 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Loved both of these movies. I can watch Overboard over and over! Did you know there is another movie coming out that is a remake but has Kurt Russell's part played as a woman, and Goldie's part will be a wealthy man. 

I hope they don't ruin the movie like all the other recent remakes have done.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2018 at 7:48 AM, bluebell said:

We saw A Quiet Place last night.  It's really well done, lot of suspense, with great acting.  It's sad in places, touching in others, frightening in others.  Even my husband liked it and he generally hates scary/alien/end of the world movies.

We saw it tonight.  I think I disagree with you here, just a bit:  I thought it was a great movie!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

We saw it tonight.  I think I disagree with you here, just a bit:  I thought it was a great movie!

Millicent is from Bountiful, Utah. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Is she the hearing-impaired actress?

7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I didn’t know that.  I thought her performance was exceptional.

• Like 1

Went out to see Avengers: Infinity War this weekend. If you like any of those superhero movies, I think you'll enjoy this one, and it's still pretty approachable even if you haven't seen all of the movies in the MCU. 

I didn't especially care for the ending, but it was an understandable stopping point for the film - even if it is pretty much devoid of any true emotional effect. Those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about. 

I went the movie "Trek: The Movie" tonight. I absolutely love LDS cheesy movies but with a good moral to the story. But I shouldn't say cheesy, it was well acted, scripted, and seriously brought the spirit and makes you laugh too. I guess you can't take the Mormon out of the girl. It's at our local "dollar" movie house. ETA: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900009040/the-clean-cut-watch-the-new-trek-the-movie-trailer.html

Edited by Tacenda

Saw Adrift last weekend. Good movie. It’s based on a true story, is well acted, and really keeps your attention. 

I saw Han Solo, I thought it was pretty good! i was taken a back they had Woody from Cheers in it, but hey😐

• Like 1

Death of Stalin. A lot of black humour. Zhukov stole whichever scene he was in.

• Like 1

That looks hilarious.  The trailer said it was approved for R audiences, but nothing in it was past PG.  I am assuming some language?

add-on:  oops, missed the opening joke due to not tapping the unmute button fast enough, that was R rated

Edited by Calm

Just finished the NetFlix documentary series "The Staircase" chronicling the murder trial of Michael Peterson, accused of killing his wife Kathleen Peterson. The documentary is filmed from the perspective of the defense team.

At 13 episodes, watching it all is a commitment, but if you enjoy courtroom drama, this is a fascinating series.

Watched the new Jurassic park movie.  It was entertaining and very similar to the last one in terms of goodness.  None of them can compete with the first one though.

On 6/27/2018 at 3:36 PM, Walden said:

Just finished the NetFlix documentary series "The Staircase" chronicling the murder trial of Michael Peterson, accused of killing his wife Kathleen Peterson. The documentary is filmed from the perspective of the defense team.

At 13 episodes, watching it all is a commitment, but if you enjoy courtroom drama, this is a fascinating series.

I would probably enjoy it, but that's a lot of commitment in my current state.

My favorite courtroom drama is "My Cousin Vinny"!

On 6/27/2018 at 7:58 PM, bluebell said:

Watched the new Jurassic park movie.  It was entertaining and very similar to the last one in terms of goodness.  None of them can compete with the first one though.

Even though I was expecting something like it, in the first film I was just about as jaw-droppingly astonished as Dr. Grant when he saw his first real, live, dinosaur!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stargazer said:

"My Cousin Vinny," that's a classic! Thanks for reminding me of that one, I will have to re-watch it this weekend

• Like 2

On 6/29/2018 at 11:52 AM, Stargazer said:

6 hours ago, Walden said:

"My Cousin Vinny," that's a classic! Thanks for reminding me of that one, I will have to re-watch it this weekend

Mine too!!  However, the first time I saw it, it was an edited version on network television... I liked it so much I bought a copy and settled down one evening to enjoy watching it...  Whoa!!  What happened!!  The language was a real surprise... I thought I would not be able to watch, but I loved the characters and they were so right for the context of the movie that I continued to watch it... and the relationship between Vinny and his fiance is actually quite sweet.  It is one of my favorites, and only one of several that I can allow for the language though I do cringe at times.  I've recently had to turn off several Academy Award winning films that have received such glowing reviews and numerous awards... But somehow I love Vinny and his fiance...And the courtroom scenes are wonderful, particularly when Vinny shows up in the tux...

Marissa Tomei's witness stand performance sealed her win for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 2

FOR STARGAZER AND WALDEN

We were talking about "My Cousin Vinny"...  but I want to tell you about one other of the handful of "R" films I will watch/own... perhaps you've also discovered it as it is shown often... "The Shawshank Redemption" starring Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins... what a film...

GG

18 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Mine too!!  However, the first time I saw it, it was an edited version on network television... I liked it so much I bought a copy and settled down one evening to enjoy watching it...  Whoa!!  What happened!!  The language was a real surprise... I thought I would not be able to watch, but I loved the characters and they were so right for the context of the movie that I continued to watch it... and the relationship between Vinny and his fiance is actually quite sweet.  It is one of my favorites, and only one of several that I can allow for the language though I do cringe at times.  I've recently had to turn off several Academy Award winning films that have received such glowing reviews and numerous awards... But somehow I love Vinny and his fiance...And the courtroom scenes are wonderful, particularly when Vinny shows up in the tux...

Marissa Tomei's witness stand performance sealed her win for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar.

GG

In the morning scene where they go off to deal with the muddy suit, they use the F word so often that it is clearly a self-parody of their manner of speech.  And you'll notice that nobody else in the film use bad language except Vinny and Lisa.  It appears to be done deliberately, to contrast them with the more genteel people of Beechum County.  The brash New Yorkers and their offensive, condescending ways.

• Like 1

Loved Ant Man and Wasp...good, clean, fun and entertaining. :)

• Like 1

I saw the 1993 film My Life starring Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman. It's a tearjerker but definitely worth a watch.

I saw Incredibles 2 and was disappointed. The tone was off. Too serious.

• Like 1

The newest Mission Impossible is entertaining.  I liked the last one slightly more but this one is still one of the better of the franchise.  Like all Mission Impossible movies though, the fight scenes were too long.  Plus, the last 30 minutes are completely unnecessary.  You already know exactly what's going to happen but you still have to suffer through 30 minutes of pretend suspense for the resolution to happen.  That get's old.

• Like 1