• Announcements

• Nemesis

Contact Us Broken   09/27/2016

Users, It has come to our attention that the contact us feature on the site is broken.  Please do not use this feature to contact board admins.  Please go through normal channels.  If you are ignored there then assume your request was denied. Also if you try to email us that email address is pretty much ignored.  Also don't contact us to complain, ask for favors, donations, or any other thing that you may think would annoy us.  Nemesis
altersteve

Last Movie You Watched

2,512 posts in this topic

The Towering Inferno. 

One of my favorite movies and it's playing on Starz.  

I saw "Allied" ( an extremely well done romantic thriller) starring Brad Pitt... who plays an Intelligence Officer... the CIA tells him his wife, and mother of their child, is suspected of being a spy (a charge he doesn't believe), and he has 72 hours to prove her innocence.  If it turns out to be true, he must follow the rules and eliminate her himself (a test of loyalty).

Brad Pitt is a mature man now... while still very nice looking, he is no longer the handsome, youthful star of Thelma & Louise, Legends of the Fall, Troy, etc.  Fortunately this movie proves he is/was not just a pretty face.  

GG

Anyone see Guardians 2 yet? Review?

We saw it last night.  Loved it.  My husband laughed so hard the whole time and he generally hates comic book movies.  

On 5/6/2017 at 7:08 PM, bsjkki said:

Anyone see Guardians 2 yet? Review?

Like bluebell, I thought it was great fun!  Oddly enough, it was both hilarious and emotional.  Really worth seeing.

43 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Like bluebell, I thought it was great fun!  Oddly enough, it was both hilarious and emotional.  Really worth seeing.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Stargazer said:

That's the perfect way to describe it. 

I also saw Guardians 2.  I thought it was better than the first one.  The god depicted in that movie was very different than the Mormon god.

I watched a silly Lifetime Network movie last night on On Demand and it was one of the most frustrating movies i've ever seen!  It was called "Kept Woman" and its about a woman who is abducted by her neighbor and forced to live in a bunker in his basement made to resemble the 1950s.  

I'm not a Lifetime Movie fan but the premise of this one reeled me in.  And i watched to the end because i had to know how it would all work out.  But man, so many plot holes!  And the way she reacted and how she managed to be saved were so unbelievable.  Drove me nuts!

Kept Woman Trailer

It claims it's based on true events but in reality but it's just based on the handful of kidnap stories where a man keeps a girl or woman locked up in his home or basement for an extended period of time.  The actual story of the movie is fictitious.  

I watched an "oldie but goodie" called "About Mrs. Leslie" starring Shirley Booth and Robert Ryan... It's the 40's and she's an entertainer in a small New York club... He is a wealthy industrialist who goes to the club with business associates... they meet when she is invited to their table after her performance.  There's an easiness between them and they talk for some time, hitting it off.  The next day they go to lunch and he asks her to go to California with him for six weeks' vacation as "friends and companions" only.  She knows him only as Mr. Leslie, that he is married, but that he needs to have this six weeks away for his health because of the pressure of his life/career.  She agrees, and they go to Calif and share a big, beautiful house on the coast/beach where she has her own suite of rooms overlooking the ocean...  The household staff assumes she is "Mrs. Leslie" and call her such.  They spend the weeks fishing, hiking, quiet evenings, etc, until its time to return to the east.  He asks her to meet him again the next year... and this begins their annual trip to Calif.  They are affectionate and care greatly for each other, but remain only companions.  They never talk about his family.  He takes steps to help her be more secure because he worries about her, and is grateful for her and their time together.  After several years of meeting him annually, one evening in NY she goes to the movies and a newsreel shows him with his full name and family...he is to head up a govt program of manufacturing war planes...  this is the first time she truly faces reality.  They get through that and go to Calif again... afterwards, back in NY the news comes that the war is over... as everyone pours out into Times Square to celebrate, she looks up at the electronic news tape and is stunned as it announces the death of "Mr. Leslie" due to a heart attack.  His atty contacts her because he left her means to assure she would be secure, with a proviso that she buy herself a home, so she buys a large home in Bev Hills as "Mrs Leslie" so she can rent out rooms for income... and that's how the movie begins... 

GG

That kind of reminds (a little bit) about the movie Same Time, Next Year

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

That kind of reminds (a little bit) about the movie Same Time, Next Year

In spite of the adultery theme, I loved STNY... it was funny, tender, sad... I loved seeing Ellen Burstyn evolve through the years.  I got from Mrs. Leslie that they really didn't have a sexual relationship, but shared deep emotion and affection.  The only physical aspect was that each year they would kiss goodbye.  She would call him "Mr. Leslie honey" in those moments.

GG