Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

My granddaughter will be 2 years old in 2 weeks and she recently watched Monsters Inc. (several times now) and absolutely loves it. I was finally able to watch the whole movie and it is an adorable, entertaining movie. It's perfect for the Halloween season.

M.

I just finished watching "Into the Wild" about Chris McClandless' sad ending of his short life in the Alaska wilderness... in an old abandoned bus he called his "Magic Bus" while on his "Alaska adventure"... his story is chronicled in the book by John Krakauer, based on Chris'  journal, found in the bus with his body, which was found by moose hunters.  His body weighed 67 pounds when found, and death was listed as "starvation."    I had seen this movie some time ago and when it was rerun this week had held off on watching it again because it is so tragic...  it really stays with you.  He was having difficulty getting food so was eating plants and berries and apparently ate some poisonous variety that eventually caused his death... If you Google Christopher McClandless it will have several pictures and websites that tell his story... 

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
20 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I just finished watching "Into the Wild" about Chris McClandless' sad ending of his short life in the Alaska wilderness... in an old abandoned bus he called his "Magic Bus" while on his "Alaska adventure"... his story is chronicled in the book by John Krakauer, based on Chris'  journal, found in the bus with his body, which was found by moose hunters.  His body weighed 67 pounds when found, and death was listed as "starvation."    I had seen this movie some time ago and when it was rerun this week had held off on watching it again because it is so tragic...  it really stays with you.  He was having difficulty getting food so was eating plants and berries and apparently ate some poisonous variety that eventually caused his death... If you Google Christopher McClandless it will have several pictures and websites that tell his story... 

GG

It's a sad story.  Such a waste, but hopefully can serve as a lesson for those who think you can just go out in the wilderness and survive without any training or knowledge of the area.

I've been watching Turner Classic Movies with their Star of the Month, Bette Davis... What an actress!!  And what movies!  Now Voyager, A Stolen Life. Dark Victory, Jezabel, etc etc.  Ms. Davis wasn't what you'd call a beauty but she had such a "presence" and style that made her fascinating... and beautiful in her own glamorous way... 

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I've mentioned previously about my film library and how I'm able to add to it... I like mainly the "classics" that are available more and more now on DVD, and available through several companies.  I order from a bookseller in Falls Village CT... I just received two today -- The Ghost and Mrs. Muir starring Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison  (one of my favorites which I just finished watching)... and, Gentlemen's Agreement (a stellar film about anti-Semitism starring Gregory Peck and Dorothy McGuire (which I will watch later tonight to be sure it too is without flaw).  On order is still Inherit the Wind from another company, starring Spencer Tracy, Frederic March, and Gene Kelly (about the Scopes "monkey trial" and man's evolution).  I do like some recent films and have added films like Hacksaw Ridge, The Help, Hidden Figures, etc.  I have a collection of over 175 of the best films on DVD that my nephew will get when I'm gone... I'm counting on the DVD format being around for some time yet... before going the way of VHS...

I'm waiting for the BYU basketball game to come on tonight at 8:30 PST on ESPN2, against Virginia Tech for 3rd place in the Maui Jim tournament from Hawaii... BYU lost last night by 15 points to Univ of Kansas, the 4th ranked team in the NCAA...

GG

On 11/28/2019 at 11:07 PM, sunstoned said:

We just streamed Once upon a time in Hollywood tonight, and I wish I hadn't.  It was extremely violent and the language was terrible. A person would not know this by watching the previews. 

Yeah, that's kind of Tarantino's thing. All of his films are like that. Sorry you didn't know beforehand. 

On 11/28/2019 at 11:30 PM, bsjkki said:

I loved Frozen 2. I had super low expectations but really enjoyed all’s it’s cheesy musical numbers. For my group, older teens and adult women, it was a hit!

We went as a family to see that just this last weekend. The kids really enjoyed it and said they thought it was better than the original.

I just re-watched one of my favorite movies... it's playing on DISH now... McFarland USA...   The true story of Coach Jim White who moves to the small farming town of McFarland in the Calif central valley near Bakersfield... A mostly Latino community of field workers, with children working in the fields before and after school...  The community is beset with poverty and gang activity, etc.  Coach White starts a cross country running program at the high school which defies all odds and goes on to win the first ever 1987 Calif State Championship.  It's a wonderful story... I then Googled  McFarland USA and up popped the website about the community, it's people, what it meant to have the running program, interviews with the original team members and Kevin Costner, who starred as Coach White, and the Diaz family whose 3 sons were on the 1987 team... Coach White's teams won the State Championship 9 out of the 13 years he coached.  It's an inspirational story... wonderful...  

GG

5 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I just re-watched one of my favorite movies... it's playing on DISH now... McFarland USA...   The true story of Coach Jim White who moves to the small farming town of McFarland in the Calif central valley near Bakersfield... A mostly Latino community of field workers, with children working in the fields before and after school...  The community is beset with poverty and gang activity, etc.  Coach White starts a cross country running program at the high school which defies all odds and goes on to win the first ever 1987 Calif State Championship.  It's a wonderful story... I then Googled  McFarland USA and up popped the website about the community, it's people, what it meant to have the running program, interviews with the original team members and Kevin Costner, who starred as Coach White, and the Diaz family whose 3 sons were on the 1987 team... Coach White's teams won the State Championship 9 out of the 13 years he coached.  It's an inspirational story... wonderful...  

GG

Such a good movie! And such hard workers those farmworkers!