Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

• 2 weeks later...

I rented two films recently...

1)  A Quiet Place ... (2017)  really suspenseful, bordering on terror...  it's about a post-alien worldwide invasion where the conquering aliens, who are blind, hunt survivors by sound... Emily Blount and John Krazinsky (sp?)...

2)  Suburbicon... starring Matt Damon and Julianne Moore... (2017)  This also is a very entertaining film...  about the small idyllic town of Suburbicon where nothing is as it seems.  "A darkly comedic thriller, full of twists and turns."

GG

2 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

This last weekend I watched BlackKklansman.

It's the true story about how a black police detective infiltrated the KKK in Colorado. It was hard to watch, but good. Many parallels to racism in modern America and the last 5 minutes are very political but super thought provoking.

I want to see this.  I don't like watching R rated shows that that have a lot of language in them so I'll probably wait until an edited version becomes available.

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

I want to see this.  I don't like watching R rated shows that that have a lot of language in them so I'll probably wait until an edited version becomes available.

Don't wait, there was very minimal f-words, unless I didn't notice. It was really a very mild R if that. I absolutely loved this movie, true story, and about a Utah cop! The local morning news guy Brian Carlson of KUTV is the one that got the news story first.

I honestly remember very few swear words, or I was too engrossed in the movie and didn't notice. I just love a good movie on the screen I guess. But no sexual scenes, or offensive violence like so many other R movies out there.   ETA: I'm pretty sure it is minimal, because if there are tons of f-words in a movie I get disgusted quick, but did not do this. In fact, if I didn't know better I could swear it was an LDS type movie, such as the ones like "God's Army 2" minus language, etc. Boy, will I be embarrassed and you go and it's worse than I described. Can HappyJack back me up on this, or was I totally oblivious?

Edited by Tacenda
14 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Don't wait, there was very minimal f-words, unless I didn't notice. It was really a very mild R if that. I absolutely loved this movie, true story, and about a Utah cop! The local morning news guy Brian Carlson of KUTV is the one that got the news story first.

I honestly remember very few swear words, or I was too engrossed in the movie and didn't notice. I just love a good movie on the screen I guess. But no sexual scenes, or offensive violence like so many other R movies out there.   ETA: I'm pretty sure it is minimal, because if there are tons of f-words in a movie I get disgusted quick, but did not do this. In fact, if I didn't know better I could swear it was an LDS type movie, such as the ones like "God's Army 2" minus language, etc. Boy, will I be embarrassed and you go and it's worse than I described. Can HappyJack back me up on this, or was I totally oblivious?

Honestly, there is a lot of language. I didn't really remember so I looked it up. But honestly, the racial animosity is so troubling in this movie that some racist KKK guys dropping Fbombs was the least of my concern.

16 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I looked it up and there are 50 F-words in the movie and 40 N-words.  For the language rating on Parents IMDb, it gives it a 'severe' rating.

But I appreciate your thoughts on it Tacenda.  :) 

8 hours ago, bluebell said:

I looked it up and there are 50 F-words in the movie and 40 N-words.  For the language rating on Parents IMDb, it gives it a 'severe' rating.

But I appreciate your thoughts on it Tacenda.  :) 

For some reason it didn't bother me, I think because I know they had to make it somewhat realistic. But it wasn't near like in other films, I think they may have said it in a way that it was muffled as well. But I totally understand your hesitancy, I'm one that abhors the word, but it has been so commonplace now. I don't condone it whatsover though.

Edited by Tacenda
  • 1 month later...
On 10/10/2011 at 5:39 PM, thesometimesaint said:

If you meant when I last went to the movie theater then "Tangled" a Disney flick about Repunzel, her hair and the infamous Flynn Rider.

I found it funny(in a good way) and the CGI are excellent. Not as good as Avatar, but still excellent.

Though rated PG small kids should be able to enjoy it along with their parents.

One of my very favorite movies! 

A friend keeps telling me to watch "Lars and the Real Girl", and finally I stumbled across it On Demand. Such a good movie, rated PG13. Watching now and it's great so far. And love how the community in this movie step up to the plate to help this man. It's a 2007 movie, with Ryan Gosling. He did amazing!

Edited by Tacenda
38 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I watched July 22nd...about the school masacre in Oslo years ago.  It was good and had a great hero to the true story that was something I had already forgotten about.

I saw that on Netflix last night.  I'll have to add it (and Lars and the Single Women) to my list.

Finally watched Wind River last night.  It's currently on Netflix.

It's rated R and I rarely watch R movies but I made an exception for this one because it's from the area of Wyoming where I grew up and have been through hundreds of times (the Wind River Indian Reservation) and the premise of the movie is to bring to light the dangers that Native America women face in their day to day lives.  There are swear words but very little.  There are no sex scenes and the only nudity is peripheral and immediately related to the storyline.  There is a rape scene but I fast forwarded through it.  It only lasts about 30 seconds and there isn't any nudity that I could tell, though it's violent and difficult to watch (which is why I chose not to).

It was an incredibly well done movie, with amazing actors.  The story is poignant and important.  The scenery (though very little was shot on the Reservation because it's so expensive to film in Wyoming) was spot on for that area of the state (most of it was shot on the border between Utah and Wyoming though some principle filming was done in the actual towns), including the housing.  The only thing that was less than authentic was a depiction of a camp around an oil drilling rig.  Oil workers would never have been armed like those men were.

Have been wanting to watch "Changeling" for a week now, ever since a local film critic mentioned it on a local news show, that it was the number one pick for a great movie to watch for Halloween. And I remembered the movie from years ago, in 1980. I thought it would be fun to watch again and then when going through Netflix, not even looking for it, I'd forgotten about it, then this other movie with the same name came up so I pushed play, but it wasn't the movie I thought. It is a true story by Clint Eastwood, I read the info on it after I watched it, didn't even know it was true until after I watched. It's 95% correct. In fact the town it happened in was called Wineville, but the town changed the name to Mira Loma because of the gruesome event. It's an execellent film, and can't believe it didn't do better at the box office, or that it wasn't released to as many theatres. It was released in 2008 with Angelina Jolie playing the main character. The film colors and music were above par and the acting and directing as well. Highly recommend!

It was rated R for a couple of swear words and the theme I guess, but felt like a PG13 at the most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling_(film)

On 9/3/2018 at 3:49 PM, Stargazer said:

We saw The Incredibles 2 the other week. Liked it a lot! Just as good as 1.

Finally got around to catching that one as well. I liked the movie well enough, but with Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks both serving as voice actors in the same film, I had a hard time thinking I wasn't watching an episode of Better Call Saul. ;)