Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

We finally watched Wonder Woman.  It had some touching parts but otherwise i thought it was just o.k.  I guess i'm not really a superhero kind of person.  I can't think of any superhero movie that i've liked since i was a kid.  I should probably just stop watching them.  

I can't believe I didn't watch "The Office", all these years. My sons moved back home and they have me watching the series on Netflix. So funny!! Not a movie, but wow, I've missed out. I am looking forward to watching Steve Carrell's new movie called "Battle of the Sexes".  Pretty talented actor!!

14 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I can't believe I didn't watch "The Office", all these years. My sons moved back home and they have me watching the series on Netflix. So funny!! Not a movie, but wow, I've missed out. I am looking forward to watching Steve Carrell's new movie called "Battle of the Sexes".  Pretty talented actor!!

It's hilarious!  My 15 year old is currently streaming it thru Netflix and he's hooked.

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

It's hilarious!  My 15 year old is currently streaming it thru Netflix and he's hooked.

When I posted this I thought of deleting it, but with my status I'm unable to edit if there is a lot of time in between my posting. I thought of doing that because I was worried some might think ill of me for liking this kind of sitcom, some sexual overtones, or more than some, sometimes. But overall it's so great. Sometimes I caught myself talking about them as if they are real life. I kid my husband that he is so much like Michael such as his silliness, or his thinking he is funny or wanting some attention. I keep watching because I really want Jim and Pam to seal the deal, which will happen since I watched a few later seasons before I started the beginning. 

Thanks for posting bluebell, I feel a little better about admitting I watched now. My husband and I don't watch a lot of sitcoms/series on t.v. anymore. There's usually sports on or a reality show such as America's Got Talent, The Voice etc. 

47 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

When I posted this I thought of deleting it, but with my status I'm unable to edit if there is a lot of time in between my posting. I thought of doing that because I was worried some might think ill of me for liking this kind of sitcom, some sexual overtones, or more than some, sometimes. But overall it's so great. Sometimes I caught myself talking about them as if they are real life. I kid my husband that he is so much like Michael such as his silliness, or his thinking he is funny or wanting some attention. I keep watching because I really want Jim and Pam to seal the deal, which will happen since I watched a few later seasons before I started the beginning. 

Thanks for posting bluebell, I feel a little better about admitting I watched now. My husband and I don't watch a lot of sitcoms/series on t.v. anymore. There's usually sports on or a reality show such as America's Got Talent, The Voice etc. 

The nice thing about watching it on Netflix is that if it starts getting racey you can just fast forward for a few frames.  That's what my son does. :) 

Hubby and I saw The Mountain Between Us last night.  It was really good. I hadn't read the book so didn't know what to expect except for what the trailers showed, and there were some twists that surprised me, but we both really liked it.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think I forgot to mention "No Escape"  (2015) starring Owen Wilson, Lake Bell, and Pierce Brosnan... it is the harrowing story of an American businessman who takes a new exec job with his company and relocates his family (wife and two little girls) to Southeast Asia... they suddenly find themselves in the middle of a violent political uprising from which they frantically seek to escape as rebels attack the city... it is edge of your seat suspense and action... The movie is rated "R" for violence, but there are only a couple instances of language...  it is one of my favorite movies. 

GG

2 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I think I forgot to mention "No Escape"  (2015) starring Owen Wilson, Lake Bell, and Pierce Brosnan... it is the harrowing story of an American businessman who takes a new exec job with his company and relocates his family (wife and two little girls) to Southeast Asia... they suddenly find themselves in the middle of a violent political uprising from which they frantically seek to escape as rebels attack the city... it is edge of your seat suspense and action... The movie is rated "R" for violence, but there are only a couple instances of language...  it is one of my favorite movies. 

GG

Good to know.  I was wondering why it was rated R.

We watched two movies this weekend-The Circle and Only the Brave.

The Circle was not a good movie.  Well acted but the director and screen writers really missed the boat.  The story makes no sense and the movie is not what the trailer portrays it to be (it's actually almost opposite of what the trailer portrays).

Only the Brave is the true story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots (wild land firefighters) and was very good.  It's a tragic story but worth seeing.  It's very well acted and directed.

On 10/5/2017 at 8:52 AM, Tacenda said:

None of us are perfect.  If we hide ourselves we can't help each other. :)

My wife and I watched Episode 5 (Season 3) of Poldark on Masterpiece last night.  We've come to enjoy the series quite a lot.  The beautiful music for the series was written by an English composer named Anne Dudley.  There was a very touching scene at the end of the episode--a funeral for someone who had been killed while doing something selfless, i.e., trying to rescue a friend; and a quartet sings a beautiful and simple piece--a hymn really:  "Greater Love Hath No Man"

1 minute ago, Okrahomer said:

My wife and I watched Episode 5 (Season 3) of Poldark on Masterpiece last night.  We've come to enjoy the series quite a lot.  The beautiful music for the series was written by an English composer named Anne Dudley.  There was a very touching scene at the end of the episode--a funeral for someone who had been killed while doing something selfless, i.e., trying to rescue a friend; and a quartet sings a beautiful and simple piece--a hymn really:  "Greater Love Hath No Man"

I've wanted to watch this series but it just came across my radar last year and I haven't been able to find a way to watch the previous seasons yet.  I wish they would put it on netflix! 

6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I've wanted to watch this series but it just came across my radar last year and I haven't been able to find a way to watch the previous seasons yet.  I wish they would put it on netflix! 

You could purchase the DVDs from PBS or a store if you can find a store that actually sells DVDs anymore. Or you could purchase a Smart TV Box. I actually watched Season 3 of Poldark on my daughter's Smart TV Box during the summer. It lets you watch Seasons ahead of their normal TV airing. It was great.

M.

11 minutes ago, Maureen said:

You could purchase the DVDs from PBS or a store if you can find a store that actually sells DVDs anymore. Or you could purchase a Smart TV Box. I actually watched Season 3 of Poldark on my daughter's Smart TV Box during the summer. It lets you watch Seasons ahead of their normal TV airing. It was great.

M.

I have to say:  the music for this series is just outstanding.  I'm a sucker for choral music in particular, and you could have knocked me over with a wet noodle when they sang this hymn last night. :)

11 minutes ago, Maureen said:

M.

I'm too cheap to ever purchase a video and I already have cable, amazon prime and netflix so i'm not going to paying for any other t.v. services!  :lol:

4 hours ago, Calm said:

Anyone watch the older Poldark to know how it compares?

The one from the 70s is from the 70s.  Of course not everything can follow the books completely but I didn't like how the 70s series didn't follow the books' story for Ross and Demelza's wedding. The new series got that part right. The series can't follow everything in the books or it would take too long to tell the story. I'm liking this new series, the actors that have been cast to play these wonderful characters are perfect. The important parts of this story are being told wonderfully.

M.

2 minutes ago, Maureen said:

The one from the 70s is from the 70s.  Of course not everything can follow the books completely but I didn't like how the 70s series didn't follow the books' story for Ross and Demelza's wedding. The new series got that part right. The series can't follow everything in the books or it would take too long to tell the story. I'm liking this new series, the actors that have been cast to play these wonderful characters are perfect. The important parts of this story are being told wonderfully.

M.

Thanks, that tempts me as I often do not like remakes.

On 10/23/2017 at 12:54 PM, Maureen said:

M.

Do you mean that stores don't sell older DVD's ... or current DVD's?  I recall someone else alluding to the fact that hardly anyone buys DVD's and that puzzled me.  I buy them from Columbia House DVD Club all the time to add to my film  library... when I'm lucky I can record a classic from Turner Classic Movies.  Do people not buy DVD's anymore?

GG

1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

Do you mean that stores don't sell older DVD's ... or current DVD's?  I recall someone else alluding to the fact that hardly anyone buys DVD's and that puzzled me.  I buy them from Columbia House DVD Club all the time to add to my film  library... when I'm lucky I can record a classic from Turner Classic Movies.  Do people not buy DVD's anymore?

GG

Where I live many of the stores that used to sell CDs and DVDs ( ie HMV, Future Shop) are no longer in business.

M.

7 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

Watched Hidden Figures last night. Very good. It is about three young black women in NASA in the early 60's.

SEE http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846340/videoplayer/vi1121039897?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Not only just "three black women"... three superb mathematicians, one a genius, who had to fight for recognition from their male counterparts, particularly "the smart one." We never heard their story until this movie brought it to the general public... 

GG

4 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

It is rocket science after all. :lol:  We moved to Huntsville; Alabama in 1964, and live on an Army Post. I didn't see the "Colored" Restroom signs themselves. But I did see where they were.

One of my ward sisters and I were talking about this movie and because both of us grew up on the west coast ( hi-sch 1956 - 58 Calif) we were not really aware of the severity of Jim Crow laws... we weren't faced with the deep racism because we attended school with all races... my San Bernardino High athlete of the year was a black boy... a darling black girl was on my cheerleading team... in gym class everyone showered... all unheard of in the south at that time.  I attended BYU in '59 and lived in the dorm with a southern girl who appalled us when she told us that she wouldn't have come to BYU (student pop of about 8,000) had she known that a black Nigerian boy was attending and eating in our cafeteria.  This movie, and "The Help," gave accurate glimpses of the incredible difference between the south and west coasts at that time...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl