Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

I watched Masterminds and 50/50 this weekend.  Mastermind is a new movie rental.  It's the true story about the guy who stole the most money ever on US soil and it's a comedy.  It's pretty funny in places, and also pretty stupid in places, but solidly entertaining.

50/50 came out a couple of years ago and is originally rated R for strong language, but i saw the edited version on T.V.  It's about a guy in his 20s who is diagnosed with cancer and has a 50/50 chance of survival.  It's a really good movie that's both funny, poignant, and sad.  It has a lot of well-known young actors in it.

On 02/17/2017 at 9:12 AM, Tacenda said:

I didn't care for it for some reason. It was entertaining, but it left me waiting for more.

I would agree it could be improved upon. (As could almost anything.) The nonlinear approach to time did make it a bit of a challenge to follow at times. Which is why I hope to watch it again soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see "The Shack", I didn't read the book so I didn't quite know what it would be like other than watching some previews. I know Rotten Tomatoes film critics gave it a very low score, but the non critics seem to love it and it got 85 or something. 

In the beginning I thought it was slow, but I'm glad it picked up and it was a fantastic movie, and had the best message or made God and heaven such an amazing place/person/spirit! I think it strays from the bible in that it makes God not a God of wrath. All in all, such a good film and the theatre was packed, so I'm glad people are ignoring the film critics opinions. 

I saw "Miss Potter" starring Renee Zellwenger... an absolutely charming story of Beatrix Potter, children's author, artist, farm/land owner, sheep breeder, pre-feminist... her first book to be published is probably her most loved and famous... A Tale of Peter Rabbit (published in 1902)... she published approx 30 children's books (her books became the most popular and best selling children's books ever), and licensed numerous products based on her stories/characters, and became a very wealthy woman, using her means to do many good things including purchasing land and establishing a land trust to preserve much of the beautiful Lake District from commercial development... and upon her death donated about 4,000 acres to a national land trust... 

The movie is beautifully filmed... locations, fashions, interiors, etc... 

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Saw Kong.  I thought it was passably entertaining.  It had good actors and the beginning of the movie was shot in an interesting way and they did a good job of storytelling.  Like so many 'action' movies though, they gave all that up so they could spend 30 minutes in CGI fight scenes and impossible sequences.  It just got boring after a while.

Some of the movies I've seen lately:

Get Out - scary, suspenseful, and occasionally funny.  I liked this movie.

Logan - A lot of violence and blood for a superhero movie.  It's kind of sad, but I liked this movie as well. If you like The X-men, you should see this one. 

The Great Wall - Cool CGI, Matt Damon is good.  The story isn't much.  I'd skip this one.

La La Land - I liked this movie. My wife loved it.  I'd recommend this one.

Arrival - A great Sci-Fi flick.  You have to pay attention though, or you wont get it. 

Moana - Not my favorite Disney film, but it's good, and it looks beautiful. The songs are nothing to brag about. 

Split - M. Knight has disappointed lately, but this one is pretty good.  Nice twist.  

A Monster Calls - This movie is good, but not great.  It wasn't at all what I thought it would be about.  Not a kid's movie. 

13 minutes ago, Rock_N_Roll said:

Some of the movies I've seen lately:

Get Out - scary, suspenseful, and occasionally funny.  I liked this movie.

Logan - A lot of violence and blood for a superhero movie.  It's kind of sad, but I liked this movie as well. If you like The X-men, you should see this one. 

The Great Wall - Cool CGI, Matt Damon is good.  The story isn't much.  I'd skip this one.

La La Land - I liked this movie. My wife loved it.  I'd recommend this one.

Arrival - A great Sci-Fi flick.  You have to pay attention though, or you wont get it. 

Moana - Not my favorite Disney film, but it's good, and it looks beautiful. The songs are nothing to brag about. 

Split - M. Knight has disappointed lately, but this one is pretty good.  Nice twist.  

A Monster Calls - This movie is good, but not great.  It wasn't at all what I thought it would be about.  Not a kid's movie. 

I went to "Get Out", but really didn't feel like hearing the "F" bomb throughout so in the first few seconds (it felt like), I heard it. So we got up and left and went into a different theatre and watched "The Great Wall". Atleast it wasn't cringe worthy, didn't mind it. But have seen such good reviews of "Get Out", that I wonder if I should give it another shot. Or wait till it's on cable and the swearing is changed.

Ya, cussing doesn't really bother me, but if the F-bomb is a deterrent for you, I'd definitely wait for the edited TV version to come out. This movie is full of them. 

Why do so many directors/writers seem to feel like constantly dropping the F-bomb in a movie, somehow makes it a better movie?  I don't get it. 

Edited by Rock_N_Roll

Doctor Strange, for the eleventh time.

doctor-strange-2016-poster-impossibilities.jpg.b8049400ad7ffe2f161bca058fa760b7.jpg

Edited by Tsuzuki
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw Hacksaw Ridge... what a film!  It is based on the true story of a young man who is 7th Day Adventist and a conscientious objector, who joins the Army during WWII but refuses to touch a weapon or kill.  Rather, he determines to save lives as a medic vs taking them as a soldier.  Enduring abuse by his fellow soldiers who think him a coward, ridicule for his unwavering faith and determination to keep his standards, and finally potential court martial, he is allowed to continue his training as a medic, and is sent with his unit into one of the most dangerous battles... taking Hacksaw Ridge.  Many were killed or wounded (the battle scenes are quite violent and bloody) but he was able to save an incredible number of soldiers.  I appreciated the lack of profanity... usually war films are riddled with language, but this one had only a few such words. 

GG

I rented "The Accountant" starring Ben Affleck... good story... violence, but only a few offensive words... 

And, "Passengers" starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt... very good story of a space station carrying about 5,000 passengers/crew on the way to a new planet to establish new colony... The ship has been en route for years while the passengers and crew are in a state of sleep... a solar disturbance causes a malfunction and one of the passengers (Pratt) wakes up 90 years too soon... after a year of being alone in the station, he becomes so lonely that he takes steps to wake up another passenger (Lawrence).  Nicely filmed with wonderful special effects... 

GG

• 4 weeks later...