Seriously No Politics ×

Provo Temple Ii

The prophet announced in General Conference that the Provo Tabernacle will be restored and turned into another temple in Provo.

The Provo temple is the busiest, so the second temple will help aleviate the that.

Woot! I work right across the street from the Provo Tabernacle.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the minute this new one is open, the Provo Temple will be renovated to match the Ogden Temple, structurally, seismically and aesthetically.
Since the Payson temple will likely be open by then I would not be surprised.

So when does Spanish Fark get a temple?

Bernard

Question: Did the Provo Tabernacle have an angel on top of the steeple? It appears that way in the picture.

If you look closely, that's Cosmo blowing a vuvuzela.

Bernard

The general temple patron assistance fund is a wonderful idea as well.

That's not a new program, we just don't hear a lot about it. It was mentioned in the Ensign last year.

http://lds.org/liahona/2010/07/latter-day-saint-voices/getting-to-the-temple?lang=eng&query=temple+patron+assistance+fund

The program may be a renamed version of the ol Temple Endowment Fund.

http://lds.org/ensign/1972/07/policies-and-programs?lang=eng&query=temple+patron+assistance+fund

It was the first time I or my husband had heard of it, but the way it was said I figured it wasn't as new to everyone else.

I'll have to ask my husband if he's run into any donations for it and it just didn't register for him, otherwise it would appear that the rest of our ward hasn't been paying attention either.

Sigh. Still nothing for the state of Virginia.

Ever since my city of one stake was announced in getting a Temple, which still is beyond baffling, Virginia is high on my list of places that should get a Temple. Mind you Wyoming was on that list as well and they are getting one!

It was the first time I or my husband had heard of it, but the way it was said I figured it wasn't as new to everyone else.

I'll have to ask my husband if he's run into any donations for it and it just didn't register for him, otherwise it would appear that the rest of our ward hasn't been paying attention either.

The general temple patron assistance fund is brand new. Just like PEF, it will help those who face prohibitive costs in going to a distant temple. Contributions can be listed in the "Other" box on the regular contribution slip, same as the priesthood restoration site donations.

Initially I thought that this would make Provo the first city with two temples.

But if I remember correctly, Jordan River and Oquirrh Mountain are both in South Jordan.

You're quite correct, sir! :)

The general temple patron assistance fund is brand new. Just like PEF, it will help those who face prohibitive costs in going to a distant temple. Contributions can be listed in the "Other" box on the regular contribution slip, same as the priesthood restoration site donations.

Not quite, but apparently the only other time it was mentioned what in the July 10 Ensign/Liahona and that was just a little note. Perhaps they were waiting for some reason to make a much more public appeal.

Temple Endowment Fund was only mentioned once in 72 so I suspect there hasn't been a great need for it in the past, probably covered it by other means or unsolicited donations, but with the increase of temples in so many of the poorer parts of the world, they've decided to emphasize it. I love the idea since I am not able to attend the temple much myself due to health.

Edited by calmoriah

Not quite, but apparently the only other time it was mentioned what in the July 10 Ensign/Liahona and that was just a little note. Perhaps they were waiting for some reason to make a much more public appeal.

Temple Endowment Fund was only mentioned once in 72 so I suspect there hasn't been a great need for it in the past, probably covered it by other means or unsolicited donations, but with the increase of temples in so many of the poorer parts of the world, they've decided to emphasize it. I love the idea since I am not able to attend the temple much myself due to health.

Interesting. So you are saying that it has already been on the MLS list for "Other" since July? Hadn't noticed it.

President Monson said that although the church is making progress in placing temples closer to its worldwide membership, "there are still areas of the world where temples are so distant from our members that they cannot afford the travel required to get to them." He reminded members of the General Temple Patron Assistance Fund, which provides "a one-time visit to the temple for those who otherwise would not be able to go to the temple," and he encouraged those who would like to contribute to this fund to do so through their regular church contributions.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700184121/LDS-general-conference-opens-with-the-announcement-of-six-new-Mormon-temples.html