Seriously No Politics Ă—

Interesting?

Yes and no.

I certainly think that we should do away with Cartesian dualism and the correspondence theory of truth, and I think that this guy is on the right track but here:

TES is not induced from introspection or observation. It was developed by the hypothetico-deductive method advocated by Eccles:

Induction was shown to be untenable as a scientific method by Popper in
The Logic of Scientific Discovery
(1959). Instead, advances in scientific understanding come ideally from hypothetico-deductivism: firstly, development of a hypothesis in relation to a problem situation, and secondly, its testing in relation to all relevant knowledge and furthermore by its great explanatory power. (1994)

The conceptual origin of TES is the posit that there exists a fundamental, conserved capacity to organize, denoted by the term enformy (Watson, 1993). Opposing the disorganizing operations implied by the second law of thermodynamics, enformy organizes and sustains four-dimensional fields of nonrandomness (termed enformation). These fields (domains of influence) are named SELF to indicate they are unique (Singular), sustained by enformy (Enformed), and capable of reproducing and evolving (Living). Not coincidentally, the SELF corresponds to the "self" as described by Eccles:

[The word "self"] will be used to connote an experienced unity that derives from a linking by memory of conscious states that are experienced at widely different times—spread over a lifetime. Thus, in order that a 'self' may exist there must be some continuity of mental experiences and, particularly, continuity bridging gaps of unconsciousness. For example, the continuity of our "self" is resumed after sleep, anaesthesia, and the temporary amnesias of concussion and convulsions.

Under TES, SELFs are not limited to humans. They correspond to the organization inherent in all coherent, whole systems ranging in complexity from photons to humans and beyond. Because they are continuous in space-time, but discontinuous in three-space, their fundamental behaviors account for the nonlocal phenomena apparent in quantum physics (e.g., quantum entanglement) and parapsychology (e.g., telepathy).

it becomes kind of a train-wreck.

Of course there is no "immaterial matter"- LDS are fundamentally materialists imo.

I think that continuity is not necessary to showing the "existence" of the self- that self-hood is at its root something much deeper.

My mother, before she died had a very deep dementia- she did not know who I was- and I am her only child. She insisted that she never had children.

Was she the "same person" who she was? Arguably not. But did she still have a "self" which clung and fought to live even as all her biological systems gave out one after another? She did.

I am convinced that we are "selves" after all the programming, memories, hopes dreams and continuity are gone, and it is as we were as babies. It is us against the environment- that which strives to overcome the environment is fundamentally the "self", and how we create our individual worlds.

She still had a "story" even when all else was gone- she had no children, therefore I could not be her child. There was still a drive to make sense of what she remembered - which was practically nothing.

THAT to me, is the "self".