Sign in to follow this  
ERMD

Zarahemla, Circa 1610

My wife and I went to the temple yesterday. A young man in our ward was receiving his endowment prior to leaving for the MTC. A friend who was sitting next to my wife showed her the name of the woman for whom she was acting as proxy.

The woman's first name was Zarahemla. She was born in Columbia in 1610.

Is Zarahemla a name know to be indigenous to Central or South America? I speak Spanish, and I have never heard this name outside of an LDS context.

I just find it interesting.

Hello ERMD...

How interesting...

GG

that is so cool

Are we sure this is real? I wonder what record a name for a Columbian in the 1600s would come from.

Are we sure this is real? I wonder what record a name for a Columbian in the 1600s would come from.

One would need to check the source of the name to know what one was working with....perhaps when it gets entered into whatever the record of temple ordinances is called now (can't believe I'm spacing on it....not the IGI IIRC, but something else...could be just the "family search" program these days though, haven't actually used the program yet....there should be a shamedfaced smilie for "my bad" as these seem too vague to me for my purpose :unsure::sorry::cray:).

It has been way too long since I've done any genealogy and I can't remember my password to get online to do a family search, perhaps someone with a little more know how?

add-on: it most likely is from a baptism record, there is one collection called "Columbia Baptisms, 1630-1950 but as yet I can't find any record of a "Zarahemla".

add-on-and-on: Only two records with "Zarahemla" as a first name, both post 1830 and likely LDS-related.

add on-and-on-and-on: I believe the relevant index needing to be searched is now called the Ordinance Index, but that only goes up to the 1970s so I'm thinking one has to have access to current work records to get this information as it is possible it is not a family line record, but one that was pulled off of records through what was once called the name extraction program.

bloos.gifcorkysm53.gifnewbluesweatdrop.gifsmiley-ashamed005.gifoops.gif

Edited by calmoriah

Someone may have accidentally typed a "6" instead of a "9".

Edited by mapman

One would need to check the source of the name to know what one was working with....perhaps when it gets entered into whatever the record of temple ordinances is called now (can't believe I'm spacing on it....not the IGI IIRC, but something else...could be just the "family search" program these days though, haven't actually used the program yet....there should be a shamedfaced smilie for "my bad" as these seem too vague to me for my purpose :unsure::sorry::cray:).

add-on: it most likely is from a baptism record, there is one collection called "Columbia Baptisms, 1630-1950 but as yet I can't find any record of a "Zarahemla".

add-on-and-on: Only two records with "Zarahemla" as a first name, both post 1830 and likely LDS-related.

I beg to differ. I did a search for the name Zarahemla at the new family search site and found the name of Zarahemla (last name omitted here) who was born on 29 Jan 1625 in Colombia, with ordinances completed. It also lists a contact email of the person submitting the name. It would be interesting to hear the story.

It has been way too long since I've done any genealogy and I can't remember my password to get online to do a family search, perhaps someone with a little more know how?

add on-and-on-and-on: I believe the relevant index needing to be searched is now called the Ordinance Index, but that only goes up to the 1970s so I'm thinking one has to have access to current work records to get this information as it is possible it is not a family line record, but one that was pulled off of records through what was once called the name extraction program.

bloos.gifcorkysm53.gifnewbluesweatdrop.gifsmiley-ashamed005.gifoops.gif

Just checked New Familysearc for female first name zarhemla. found two born prior to 1700 one in 1625

Name: Zarahemla Rodriguez

Contributor jerez (achays)

Source Source type: Church record, Contributor: jerez (achays), Contributor of repository: jerez (achays)

Birth date: 29 January 1625

Place: Bogota, Cundinamarca, Colombia

Contributor jerez (achays)

Source Source type: Church record, Contributor: jerez (achays), Contributor of repository: jerez (achays)

Endowment

Completed

27 August 2011

San Antonio Texas Temple

Sounds like it is real.

There was a second one but it looks like a typo since it is listed twice

Zarahemla

6 May 1626 BC

Boyaca, Colombia 1797 BC

Boyaca, Colombia Mosiah Chaparro

Ordinances may be needed

Go to Zarahemla

6 May 1826 BC

Boyaca, Colombia 1997 BC

Boyaca, Colombia Majaj Chaparro

Further research needed but interesting find.

Larry P

double post

Edited by poulsenll

My initial date is off by a few years. My wife says it was 1620s, not 1610.

This was in the San Antonio temple as noted above.

I beg to differ. I did a search for the name Zarahemla at the new family search site and found the name of Zarahemla (last name omitted here) who was born on 29 Jan 1625 in Colombia, with ordinances completed. It also lists a contact email of the person submitting the name. It would be interesting to hear the story.

Said reference also lists her brothers' first names as Orion (first name) Gidgiddoni (middle name) and Ethem, and her great-grandfather's first name as Zorami (born 14 Dec 1525).

Somebody has to be making this stuff up. Too weird.

You have much better skills than I do in this area.

I was not logged in, perhaps that makes a difference to what records you access? I simply did a search on "Zarahemla" as a first name, exact spelling, with a year range up to 1830 (to avoid people being named after the Book of Mormon site) and didn't come up with this.

Said reference also lists her brothers' first names as Orion (first name) Gidgiddoni (middle name) and Ethem, and her great-grandfather's first name as Zorami (born 14 Dec 1525).

Or has a unique way of transcribing.....or would that be translating when one identifies names off of old records with their usually inconsistent ways of writing? Not sure the correct term.

Edited by calmoriah

You have much better skills than I do in this area.

I was not logged in, perhaps that makes a difference to what records you access? I simply did a search on "Zarahemla" as a first name, exact spelling, with a year range up to 1830 (to avoid people being named after the Book of Mormon site) and didn't come up with this.

It looks like the endowment witnessed by ERMD actually took place. However, one begins to suspect the real existence of said person. Unfortunately there are those who have submitted fictional characters including Mickey Mouse. One would have to see a photocopy of the source and be able to verify its validity.

Larry P

It looks like the endowment witnessed by ERMD actually took place. However, one begins to suspect the real existence of said person. Unfortunately there are those who have submitted fictional characters including Mickey Mouse. One would have to see a photocopy of the source and be able to verify its validity.

Larry P

Yes, it is unfortunate that some people look on submitting false names as some kind of entertainment.

This is looking suspicious.

Would love to see source photos or something to confirm this. If it did indeed to turn out to be real, that would be something incredible.

Said reference also lists her brothers' first names as Orion (first name)Gidgiddoni (middle name) and Ethem, and her great-grandfather's first name as Zorami (born 14 Dec 1525).

I agree someone is making this up. Something is fishy. Orion is a Latin word that comes from the Greek according to the OED. Now as a member I can see why a pre-columbian pre-Book of Mormon name would generate excitement, but to have it paired with a name of the Old World to me is a sign for a high degree of skepticism.

Although I was initially excited for this it is more likely that someone has entered in a bogus name. I rule out misspelling and or hard to read blurry name because you have three and a half BofM names,Gidgiddoni, Ethem, Zarahemla and Zoromi (an off shoot of Zoram), the chances are again not likely.

I do not understand why someone would generate bogus names to strengthen the church it actually hurts the cause in the end. If done by a critic or anti that's just silly if done by a member still shouldn't be done...

Thinking out loud

Anijen

Edited by Anijen

Okay this is a give away that something is fishy. Orion is a Greek word that comes from the Latin according to the OED. Now as a member I can see why a pre-columbian BofM name would generate excitement, but to have it paired with a name of the Old World to me is an sign for a high degree of skepticism.

While I am not weighing in on the matter of validity, I do point out the dates are definitely post-columbian. "Orion", the name of a "steering constellation", would have been well known to any European sailor (and most passengers) who happened along.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

I agree someone is making this up. Something is fishy. Orion is a Latin word that comes from the Greek according to the OED. Now as a member I can see why a pre-columbian BofM name would generate excitement, but to have it paired with a name of the Old World to me is a sign for a high degree of skepticism.

Although I was initially excited for this it is more likely that someone has entered in a bogus name. I rule out misspelling and or hard to read blurry name because you have three and a half BofM names,Gidgiddoni, Ethem, Zarahemla and Zoromi (an off shoot of Zoram), the chances are again not likely.

I do not understand why someone would generate bogus names to strengthen the church it actually hurts the cause in the end. If done by a critic or anti that's just silly if done by a member still shouldn't be done...

Thinking out loud

Anijen

I agree. Orion and the use of the other names stretch it beyond the breaking point.

ETA: So how does (or should) the temple handle this? Should I advise the Recorder, or just let it go?

Edited by ERMD

If true, this is incredible. But I doubt it.

Actually, Orion is probably the only authentic name on that list.

I agree. Orion and the use of the other names stretch it beyond the breaking point.

ETA: So how does (or should) the temple handle this? Should I advise the Recorder, or just let it go?

I would just let it go. My wife did my moms temple work and I found out another person also did it. I asked if things are duplicated or in this case probably made up, the temple sealer said we don't question them we just do the work and let it get sorted out in the end. So if there was actually a 17th century sister named Zarahemla then her temple work was done, if there wasnt the blessings still attend those who did the work...

Actually, Orion is probably the only authentic name on that list.

I actually think all have some degree of authenticity but for me the skepticism is they being together (Orion Gidgiddoni). They being together is what makes me think this was a made up ancestor, or a name that could have been close and read it wrong, or something along those lines...

I actually think all have some degree of authenticity but for me the skepticism is they being together (Orion Gidgiddoni). They being together is what makes me think this was a made up ancestor, or a name that could have been close and read it wrong, or something along those lines...

That seems to be the issue for me. IS that 4 of the 5 names are either direct BoM names or a close match. Too good to be true, type of thing. But again, if this can be proven to be true, that is quite the find.

Columbia 1610 weren't those originally oral geneologies?