• I was born to LDS parents
    • My parents converted when I was a child and I was baptized LDS
    • I was active in another Christian church but converted to LDS
    • I was a member of/born into another Christian church but wasn't religious
    • I was born into a Christian country/culture but not religious
    • I was active in a non-Christian religion
    • I was a member of/born into a non-Christian church but wasn't religious
    • I was born into a non-Christian country/culture but not religious

I am interested your religious roots. Were you always LDS and if not, what were you? The options I created reflect active or cultural membership of a Christian or non-Christian church or society. Even if you are no longer LDS, you can fill out this poll - I want to know where you came from when you became LDS, not where you went once you were one.

I am an "option 2" myself.

My parents were vaguely religious. Church of Christ, mom was the piano player. Prayed over meals occasionally, but never really talked about what we believed. I went through a pretty hardcore atheist period from about 18 to 23, only showing up because I liked the people. The LDS church is the only one I've found that I can belong to; if it didn't exist, I'd be an atheist.

After reading Dawkins' The God Delusion, I came to the rather annoying conclusion that Mormonism answered every single objection to theism that he raised. *laugh*

More seriously, I actually have a hugely convoluted conversion story - the bare-outline gist is that in middle school (maybe 13 years old?) I traveled to Ecuador with my father and brother to visit family, and I was in Guayaquil when the Temple there was just opening and having their big open-house. Thousands of people showed up, and we were among them. I'd never even heard of Mormons before that; I think I thought it was some sort of strange Hindu temple (and I still feel a deep kinship with some aspects of eastern religions).

I felt very drawn to the baptismal font, but also felt a strange "dark" feeling that seemed to push me away, so never really followed up on it. (Later read the Joseph Smith history and kinda freaked out about the similarities.) Discovered Orson Scott Card's writing in high school, and while on his Hatrack website, met the girl who'd later mail me my first triple combination. While working up in Alaska after high school, ran into a BoM in the library, looked through it, and instantly put it back down because I knew it was true but didn't want it to be. Tried to convince myself for a few years that it wasn't true, then, while living in Portland, Oregon, finally gave in and went on a BoM binge, reading every anti- and pro- piece of apologetics I could.

There were two breaking points for me (which are both explain-awayable, and neither of which will convince a skeptic, but then, I'm not claiming they should, because this little summary is completely inadequate to explain the circumstances surrounded all this). When I had literally run completely out of money for lack of a job and had no way to pay for food or rent, my mom sent me exactly the right amount of money to keep me afloat, at exactly the right time, completely unasked. Next, my roommates and I all got incredibly sick, to the point where we were all bed-ridden, and one, who was recently pregnant, was terrified and crying, worried that she would have a miscarriage. I prayed for hours that night, begging God desperately that if He saved her child, I'd do my best to see which church was true (while, uh, trying not to puke) and her child was born perfectly healthy. (Yes, I'm aware of every skeptical claim that could be used to explain these events away, and I don't expect anyone else to believe they were miracles. If I heard someone saying what I have, I wouldn't believe it myself. Y'all weren't there, tho. *grin*) Tracked down the local ward, took the lessons as quickly as possible, and taught some things to the missionaries. *laugh* (They were great, tho.) Been teaching Sunday School for the Elder's Quorum ever since. :)

Edited by JeremyOrbe-Smith

Only person in my family even going to church but when I found Mormonism all of a sudden I had so much hostility. My pastor told my mother (I was 14) "I don't care if she joins any church but the Mormon church." The thing is I'd been reading the Bible and studying many religions the last year, was even thinking of becoming a Catholic, when I decided none of them fit with what I found in the Bible. And then in the flukiest of circumstances I found the LDS church and knew even before the missionary lessons this was where I belonged.

I grew up in many religions. I was baptized as Episcopal and my mother was VERY active in the Church. I was an alter boy and very active also, until I was about 16. After my parents divorced, I attended the Episcopal and Presbyterian churches and about a dozen other "religions" with my mom and the Catholic church with my dad and step-mom (step-mom was Catholic, dad was Episcopal). I pretty much gave up on church at 16, but did marry my first wife in the Episcopal church I grew up in. Stopped going after we got married. When we broke up, my gf introduced me to the LDS Church (she was not a member, but did attend and did have her kids baptized as LDS, long story).

I knew the LDS Church was the right Church for me after the second lesson by the Missionaries (old 6 lesson pack in 1992). I baptized her and one of her kids that was not baptized. We are sealed in the Temple (Los Angeles) and our two youngest are sealed to us.

I don't think I could be a member of any other Church. The LDS Church has answers to all my questions. I have spent years learning and I know I still have an incredible amount to learn. The Gospel is simple but deep in meanings.

Raised in a First Baptist Church, but left it, when I turned 18. My parents were believers, but not really church-goers. I studied a lot of religions and, finally, just put it all aside, in my late thirties. Decided, probably, none of it was true....until I discovered the LDS Church. It answered a lot of questions I had, previously had, about what happens to people who never get a chance to hear about Christ, etc. I had a good experience with the Book of Mormon, and the Church just felt like home.

Born LDS. Raised LDS, received a testimony at age 13. I have known the church was true since then. Despite two periods of inactivity and heavy drug use. That is why I came back the second time because I knew I would be held accountable for the knowledge I received and then trampled to pursue selfish dreams of drug induced bliss. I am at the age where I have grown up and am trying to do my best because I love the lord and want to do his will. Before it seemed like I was living the gospel out of fear of consequences.

My dad is German and spent the first 13 years of his life under Nazi rule. His family was Catholic but I don't know if they attended. I get the sense he wasn't much of an attender. He joined the Church here in Nov. 1962 and has had periods of inactivity in the Church. Me Mum was born and raised in whatever Church minister came to town but mostly they were UCC. She joined the Church in Nov. 1967 also here and she and my dad married. She has been the rock in our family ever since and has always been active. She has never visted Utah and I want to take her. Incidentally all during my growing up years she gave the evening meal prayer in the UCC way, "For what we are about to receive may the Lord make us truly thankful amen"! So my parents are members.

I was born to one member-parent and one non-member. On my mother's side my Mormon roots go back to the 1890s where they were among the first Mormon converts in non-New Orleans Louisiana. None of my ancestors ever went to Zion or even left Louisiana.

Where's the "other...please explain" choice.

Dad was raised LDS so I'm technically a 6th generation LDS even though I've been raised Catholic my entire life. He converted to Catholicism when I was 3. I can't blame him about that one. My grandfather's and his generation does not represent typical LDS family life values.

Mom was in a Catholic convent prior to meeting my father so religion was an important aspect for her. I still grew up as a clueless Catholic Catholic though. Once I married my LDS wife Las Vegas style, I went through the LDS missionary lessons. I informed my wife I needed to figure out what I was leaving prior to giving her a serious consideration of converting. Went to RCIA and fell in love with my Catholic faith. Not quite what my wife had hoped for and a deal breaker for her.

Not quite what my wife had hoped for and a deal breaker for her.

So, sorry to hear that, Blue.

Religion breaks up a lot of marriages (or used to). Just seems weird that something that is supposed to bring us closer to God, can end up destroying a family.

Born and raised active Catholic, was an altar boy, attended Catholic schools including High School- hit a secular university, philosophy major and became atheist, but the more I studied philosophy I actually realized there was some philosophical justification for religious experience, studied Eastern religions; somebody gave me a Book of Mormon, I went and got a book out of the library about Mormons and found their beliefs about eternal progression and the notion that God is a human- humans can be gods paralleled humanism as well as the notion that humans create worlds by organizing them socially- it all fit with the council of gods and three social beings who rose to godhood - it was all an interesting idea intellectually

But then I actually read the BOM and had a major major spiritual experience- I surrendered to God, and here I am. Throw in a few major temple experiences, and I'm not going anywhere

Like Joseph said "I know, and I know God knows I know". I'm busted! What am I supposed to do- say the sun can't shine?

That's cool!. So when you read church history, do your ancestors' names pop up? Not phishing for IRL information here, just think that would be nice.

My mother decends from Jefferson Hunt, who was a Captain in the Mormon Battalion. I recall seeing his name briefly mentioned in some sources, but I don't recall which.

My mother decends from Jefferson Hunt, who was a Captain in the Mormon Battalion. I recall seeing his name briefly mentioned in some sources, but I don't recall which.

Oh well, not your average Parley P. Pratt of John D. Lee but still, better than nothing. The most exciting thing I ever found in my genealogy is an ancestor who died at 6 a.m. at the market square in Brugges. The entry didn't mention a cause of death but I'm guessing it wasn't entirely natural...

I was raised a Protestant, and through the years have been in GARB (Regular Baptists), Assembly of God (Late elementary school, early junior high), Dutch Reformed (High School), Lordship Salvation (I attended 2 years at John MacArthur's college and his church), Free Grace Movement (People to People ministries/Bob George), PCUSA (Presbyterian Church USA). I was employed as an executive in PCUSA (shortly before I quit and became LDS) and it was the last protestant church I ever went to.

I was disappointed with what I was seeing in the various protestant churches I had been in and decided that I would finish the Bible degree that I started when I minored in Bible in college (at a different school that offerend an online degree). I was cutting through Salt Lake City on my way to my graduation to become a minister to start my own church when I took the tour at the LDS church headquarters. I only took the tour to learn enough to get my cousin out of the Mormon church, I was concerned she was in a cult. Everything the tour guide said seemed to make sense. I realized why none of the churches I had been in during my search for the truth made any sense, and were not very ethical. Everything just added up.

Still, I was skeptical because my father was friends with Walter Martin when he was living and I had been told a lot of his claims over the years. So, I decided to be fair and listen to both sides. I requested the free Book of Mormon and looked at the old Walter Martin material as well as FAIR and FARMS, and I bought the book "How Wide the Divide." Following my research I was horrified by how distorted the anti material was and how unfair they were being by condemning Mormons to h*** when they were in reality Christians. I read the BoM with an open mind and prayed about it as they said, I had a feeling to go visit the church.

I entered my zip code on the website and started showing up to Sacrament Meetings. After a few weeks I introduced myself to the Bishop as a theology student that was just doing research on the church. The bishop recommended the Gospel Principles class to me so I started going. After another month I committed to be baptized. I live with my Grandmother, who was scared I was getting into a cult, and I invited her to come to church, and 6 months later she gained a testimony and was baptized.

After all my searching I am glad I finally came to the conclusion that the LDS church is a restoration of ancient Christianity and I have been a member for I think around 7 years now. I have had doubts every now and then, but they always seem to iron out.

So, those are my religious roots. I spent the first 26 years of my life searching and finally found God's will for my life.