Sign in to follow this  
Thinking

Ssa Questions

Let's change the scenario. Now suppose your child is the one with SSA who is engaged to be married. Does this change your opinion of what communication should happen before the marriage?

Absolutely not. I wouldn't let my child marriage someone without that information being disclosed if i could help it.

I have seen how failure to disclose ssa played out IRL. The bride in this case received spiritual confirmation several times that something wasn't right, but thought that she should marry anyway (the last impression can in the temple itself). Ten years and 6 six kiddos later, dh has found the ssa-underground in city with huge LDS population and been told by people who described themselves as currently serving ssa-sp, eqp (he is too), and bishop who attend such gatherings that it is really okay, that someday going to be alright with the church to act on the feelings. Does. Resists dealing with symptoms of colon cancer, thinking they are related to what he has been doing so is too far along by the time dx'd. Family is not insured anyway and cannot afford treatment. Gets six months to figure it out,talk it out, make it right with spouse, repent, and die. Not enough time really, but finally lots of stuff makes more sense. And he understands fully how he got lured off track, and wishes he had disclosed so spouse could have helped him see edge of the cliff and that he was getting near it. (Spouse admits probably wouldn't have gone through with wedding.)

Pretty substantial catch 22.

That is a sad tough road. My heart goes out to the guy, and I am glad he repented. I feel especially sad for the family that had to go through the pain.