Seriously No Politics ×

This Idea Of A Veil Covering Us When We Are Born

I have heard all my life in the Church that when you are born there is a veil drawn over you or a veil over your mind or something like that, basically you can't remember Huck from Henry from the pre-mortal life. I can see the incident involving the Brother of Jared when the Lord touches the sixteen stones as mentioning something about this Veil and possibly a few other possible allusions to this Veil thing in the scriptures. Does anyone know of any other statements or scriptures that talk more fully about the Veil?

I have heard all my life in the Church that when you are born there is a veil drawn over you or a veil over your mind or something like that, basically you can't remember Huck from Henry from the pre-mortal life. I can see the incident involving the Brother of Jared when the Lord touches the sixteen stones as mentioning something about this Veil and possibly a few other possible allusions to this Veil thing in the scriptures. Does anyone know of any other statements or scriptures that talk more fully about the Veil?

This probably isn't what you wanted specifically, as it's ancient apocryphal writings, but I like it.

"And then cometh Yaluham, the receiver of Sabaōth, the Adamas, who handeth the souls the cup of forgetfulness, and he bringeth a cup filled with the water of forgetfulness and handeth it to the soul, and it drinketh it and forgetteth all regions and all the regions to which it hath gone. And they cast it down into a body which will spend its time continually troubled in its heart."

Pistis Sophia, A SIXTH BOOK - Chapter 144

I have heard all my life in the Church that when you are born there is a veil drawn over you or a veil over your mind or something like that, basically you can't remember Huck from Henry from the pre-mortal life. ... Does anyone know of any other statements or scriptures that talk more fully about the Veil?

It's a frequent part of Conference talks and the writings of the Brethren. Here's one such.

One important condition of mortal life provided in the great plan was that all spirits who come here must come in complete forgetfulness of their pre-mortal existence. The purpose of a veil being drawn over their past experiences was to start all of God's children out in mortality on as equal a basis as possible and let them live here by the principle of faith. Under these conditions each individual could face the world in faith and courage, and in vigor exercise his will in becoming acquainted with the realities that are here and in overcoming all obstacles.

The Gospel through the Ages, p.14

Lehi

But didn't He seem to remember His pre-existence, and speak of the glory He had with The Father before the world was?

There's a possibility that He was told He was the Son of God in a revelation or something of the sort, or that the veil was gradually lifted. I guess it doesn't really matter either way, though.

Does later day revelation say anything one way or another?

Not "latter-day revelation", but the Bible says He did.

40 And the child grew, and waxed [grew] strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

If He'd known everything that had happened in the premortal world, He'd not have grown, not having to.

Lehi