Seriously No Politics ×

Vegetarianism

Myth #1 - The "use sparingly" phrase is God's approval to eat meat.

Response - Because of the versification readers fail to include the second part which defines what "sparingly" means:

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used,
only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
(D&C 89)

Hyrum Smith further explained why God allowed the eating of meat in those times only:

"Let men attend to these instructions, let them use the things of God; let them be sparing of the life of animals:
'i
t is pleasing saith the Lord that flesh be used
only in
times of of winter, or of famine'
- and why to be used in famine? because all domesticated animals would naturally die, and may as well be made use of by man, as not." (Hyrum Smith,
Times and Seasons
, 1 June 1842, vol. 3, p. 800.)

With modern heating/air conditioning, freezers and refrigeration, can a flesh diet be justified?

Myth #2 To abstain from meat is wrong. (D&C 49:18)

Response: The verse says the opposite, it condemns anyone against Vegetarianism:

18 And whoso
forbiddeth to abstain
from meats that man should not eat the same is not ordained of God;

21 And
wo
be unto
man
that
sheddeth blood
or that
wasteth flesh
and
hath no need.

Again, with modern heating/air conditioning, freezers and refrigeration, can the needless shedding of blood be justified?

The JST makes it clear we will be judged:

11 And surely,
blood shall not be shed,
only for
meat to save your lives
and the blood
of every beast will I require
at your hands.
(Gen. 9, italicized added by Joe, aka Joseph)

Edited by BOMG

Myth #1 - The "use sparingly" phrase is God's approval to eat meat.

Response - Because of the versification readers fail to include the second part which defines what "sparingly" means:

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used,
only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
(D&C 89)

Hyrum Smith further explained why God allowed the eating of meat in those times only:

"Let men attend to these instructions, let them use the things of God; let them be sparing of the life of animals:
'i
t is pleasing saith the Lord that flesh be used
only in
times of of winter, or of famine'
- and why to be used in famine? because all domesticated animals would naturally die, and may as well be made use of by man, as not." (Hyrum Smith,
Times and Seasons
, 1 June 1842, vol. 3, p. 800.)

With modern heating/air conditioning, freezers and refrigeration, can a flesh diet be justified?

Myth #2 To abstain from meat is wrong. (D&C 49:18)

Response: The verse says the opposite, it condemns anyone against Vegetarianism:

18 And whoso
forbiddeth to abstain
from meats that man should not eat the same is not ordained of God;

21 And
wo
be unto
man
that
sheddeth blood
or that
wasteth flesh
and
hath no need.

Again, with modern heating/air conditioning, freezers and refrigeration, can the needless shedding of blood be justified?

The JST makes it clear we will be judged:

11 And surely,
blood shall not be shed,
only for
meat to save your lives
and the blood
of every beast will I require
at your hands.
(Gen. 9, italicized added by Joe)

I am sorry, but you simply have not made a case for vegetarianism. Meat can still be eating, and it seems that we can eat as much as we want of meat during winter or famine. How is that vegetarianism? Being a vegetarian means not eating meat period. That means not meat during winter or famine as well as any other time.

I have no idea what I, or my descendents, will eat during the Millenium.

Probably the same diet they had before the flood. Btw, chef Ramsey tried meat substitutes on his cooks and they could not tell the difference. There's really no reason to continue the cave man diet.

Based on the OP, which are the verses I would have read, I judge (1 Cor 6:2) that it is sin to advocate vegetarianism and hence vegetarianism itself is probably a sin too. But what does the doctrine (the publications of the Church other than the scriptures) say?

Since the WOW, except for the 4 specific Don'ts, is left up to the individual to interpret, no one can say that eating meat or not eating meat is wrong. Why is BOMG so hung up on this?

italicized added by Joe, aka Joseph)

Remember whose board you are on and refer to the Prophet respectfully.

This thread is about to be closed like the other one if you don't stop the snide remarks ("What are you two going to eat during the millennium, assuming you make it there?").

Based on the OP, which are the verses I would have read, I judge (1 Cor 6:2) that it is sin to advocate vegetarianism and hence vegetarianism itself is probably a sin too. But what does the doctrine (the publications of the Church other than the scriptures) say?

Are you a Zoramite? Humility goes further with God than arrogance.

Since the WOW, except for the 4 specific Don'ts, is left up to the individual to interpret, no one can say that eating meat or not eating meat is wrong. Why is BOMG so hung up on this?

Cognitive dissonance is real.

Remember whose board you are on and refer to the Prophet respectfully. This thread is about to be closed..

Get a life, his contemporaries referred to him like that, least I had the courtesy to use both, wake up.

Automatic generated message

This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: Opening poster is unable to carry on a civil discussion.

Kind regards,

Mormon Dialogue & Discussion Board Staff