Sign in to follow this  
Anijen

Praise To The Man!

I just want to give a little recognition to my favorite Prophet! On this day.

I also am grateful for his dear wife Emma.

This is my least favorite hymn. I have never felt comfortable singing about a man when I prefer to sing about our Father or his Son, Jesus. Hearing this hymn still creeps me out. I can't imagine that I stand alone in this feeling, but you never know.

I am not taking anything away form Joseph, but I even think he would feel uncomfortable with this hymn.

Our son and his wife maried within a minute or so of the time (corrected for DST and time zone, assumiing there had been time zones in 1844) of the 1155th anniversary of the martyrdom. It was an odd reminder, as we sat in the Denver Temple that day, and I looked at my watch and the minutes ticked by to the time on Willard Richard's watch.

Praise to the man, indeed!! He communed with Jehovah, he opened the last dispensation. He did more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of mankind than any other man who has ever lived one the earth (with the possible exceptions of Adam and Noah).

Lehi

This is my least favorite hymn. I have never felt comfortable singing about a man when I prefer to sing about our Father or his Son, Jesus. Hearing this hymn still creeps me out. I can't imagine that I stand alone in this feeling, but you never know.

I am not taking anything away form Joseph, but I even think he would feel uncomfortable with this hymn.

I've heard similar things from my wife and a friend of hers, so no, don't feel alone. I enjoy it, though perhaps because the tune is "Scotland the Brave," and I can't deny my Scottish heritage. :) But yes, I can definitely understand your sentiment. I think perhaps it isn't appropriate for Sacrament meeting, but I think it's in the hymn book because it is appropriate for other occasions and functions.

Joseph Smith is analogous to Jesus Christ: what Christ was to Christianity, Joseph Smith is to Mormonism. "We" are c. two centuries into "the Mormon era". Two centuries into the "Christian era", the new religion was vilified and persecuted even to the point of killing Christians. Mormonism started out that way, but has increasingly mainstreamed. Until now Joseph Smith is more of an icon than a reality. Mormons ARE Christians.

On the subject of the premature death of Joseph Smith: imho, if he had not been taken out early, his subsequent religious exegesis would have largely undone his work. His last theology did not match up with the first or the middle theologies. And he was entertaining reincarnation, a doctrine utterly incompatible with the BoM's strict and inflexible "this life is it" approach to salvation, with permanent heaven or h*** the result upon death. Already, long before 1844, Joseph Smith had ceased to promote the BoM and only taught from the Bible.

Vis-a-vis, the actual story of the Carthage murders, I was satisfied as a child when I first learned of the "pistol". Alright! Joseph Smith fought back. Did he kill anyone? (yes, and no, I could not and still cannot get a straight answer) The image of him pulling a six-gun and shooting through the door was too cool. And his exit from this world still remains a satisfying picture in my mind. Every prophet since has died of moribund malingering. Definitely NOT the stuff to engender admiration by comparison to The Man.

Oh, yes, I too do not care to listen to or sing "Praise to the Man". I also do not like "O How Lovely Was the Morning" (I kept seeing the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz every time we came to "Oh what rapture", and I would choke on the word "bosom"). But if I had to choose, I'd take "Praise" over "O How Lovely" anytime; it's the tune, I think, which makes the difference....

However out of my range as a bass, I prefer "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief", Joseph Smith's favorite hymn, and sung at Carthage; over "Praise to the Man". However I like "Praise to the Man" just fine. I'm surprised that the Jews didn't have similar hymns celebrating the life of Moses.

Edited by ELF1024

I would like to add that "Praise to the Man" is my most favorite Hymn of all time! I cannot sing it enough. I sickens me when I hear someone who is supposed to by a LDS who is "uncomfortable" hearing this most spirit-filled hymn. It was witten after the cold blooded murder of the best blood of the 19th century and I am sure it makes the demons in perdition howl when this hymn is sung. In fact our own scriptures indicates the greatness of this man:

(D&C 135:3) "Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it. In the short space of twenty years, he has brought forth the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God, and has been the means of publishing it on two continents; has sent the fulness of the everlasting gospel, which it contained, to the four quarters of the earth; has brought forth the revelations and commandments which compose this book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents and instructions for the benefit of the children of men; gathered many thousands of the Latter-day Saints, founded a great city, and left a fame and name that cannot be slain. He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord's anointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood; and so has his brother Hyrum. In life they were not divided, and in death they were not separated!"
Note that it says he was the greatest man save Jesus only that ever lived on the earth. Mostly because of his great calling as the Elias and restorer of the fullness of the everlasting Gospel in this the latter-days. Yes Praise to the Man! To continue in the scripture:
(D&C 135:6-7) "...Hyrum Smith was forty–four years old in February, 1844, and Joseph Smith was thirty–eight in December, 1843; and henceforward their names will be classed among the martyrs of religion; and the reader in every nation will be reminded that the Book of Mormon, and this book of Doctrine and Covenants of the church, cost the best blood of the nineteenth century to bring them forth for the salvation of a ruined world; and that if the fire can scathe a green tree for the glory of God, how easy it will burn up the dry trees to purify the vineyard of corruption. They lived for glory; they died for glory; and glory is their eternal reward. From age to age shall their names go down to posterity as gems for the sanctified. They were innocent of any crime, as they had often been proved before, and were only confined in jail by the conspiracy of traitors and wicked men; and their innocent blood on the floor of Carthage jail is a broad seal affixed to "Mormonism" that cannot be rejected by any court on earth, and their innocent blood on the escutcheon of the State of Illinois, with the broken faith of the State as pledged by the governor, is a witness to the truth of the everlasting gospel that all the world cannot impeach; and their innocent blood on the banner of liberty, and on the magna charta of the United States, is an ambassador for the religion of Jesus Christ, that will touch the hearts of honest men among all nations; and their innocent blood, with the innocent blood of all the martyrs under the altar that John saw, will cry unto the Lord of Hosts till he avenges that blood on the earth. Amen."
So no I do not think it is "too much" to sing that sacred hymn and honor the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator that Jesus Christ has raised up in these last days to proclaim the fullness of His (Jesus Christ's) everlasting Gospel. Of course traitors and tyrants still try to defame him and cast doubt on his sacred calling to overturn the false gospels and darkness that hangs over the people. They try to stay the hand of the almighty from pouring out His revelations and blessings upon the heads of the latter-day saints, but the true saints will take no heed of their slanderous and Satan inspired propaganda. Thank God the Father and His beloved Son Jesus Christ for appearing to the unlearned pure in heart farmboy whom the Lord raised up to be the mighty prophet of the restoration! Without that light from heaven and the teachings of that humble servant of the Lord this earth would be in the gross darkness it was in for centuries... it would be worse than the corrupt state it is in even now. Yes the morning breaks the shadows flee at the glorious light and truth that now shines so that all this will hear can hear. Here is another scripture:
(2 Nephi 3:6-15) "For Joseph truly testified, saying: A seer shall the Lord my God raise up, who shall be a choice seer unto the fruit of my loins. Yea, Joseph truly said: Thus saith the Lord unto me: A choice seer will I raise up out of the fruit of thy loins; and he shall be esteemed highly among the fruit of thy loins. And unto him will I give commandment that he shall do a work for the fruit of thy loins, his brethren, which shall be of great worth unto them, even to the bringing of them to the knowledge of the covenants which I have made with thy fathers. And I will give unto him a commandment that he shall do none other work, save the work which I shall command him. And I will make him great in mine eyes; for he shall do my work. And he shall be great like unto Moses, whom I have said I would raise up unto you, to deliver my people, O house of Israel. And Moses will I raise up, to deliver thy people out of the land of Egypt. But a seer will I raise up out of the fruit of thy loins; and unto him will I give power to bring forth my word unto the seed of thy loins—and not to the bringing forth my word only, saith the Lord, but to the convincing them of my word, which shall have already gone forth among them. Wherefore, the fruit of thy loins shall write; and the fruit of the loins of Judah shall write; and that which shall be written by the fruit of thy loins, and also that which shall be written by the fruit of the loins of Judah, shall grow together, unto the confounding of false doctrines and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace among the fruit of thy loins, and bringing them to the knowledge of their fathers in the latter days, and also to the knowledge of my covenants, saith the Lord. And out of weakness he shall be made strong, in that day when my work shall commence among all my people, unto the restoring thee, O house of Israel, saith the Lord. And thus prophesied Joseph, saying: Behold, that seer will the Lord bless; and they that seek to destroy him shall be confounded; for this promise, which I have obtained of the Lord, of the fruit of my loins, shall be fulfilled. Behold, I am sure of the fulfilling of this promise; And his name shall be called after me; and it shall be after the name of his father. And he shall be like unto me; for the thing, which the Lord shall bring forth by his hand, by the power of the Lord shall bring my people unto salvation."
This passage in the Book of Mormon testifies of the greatness of the mission of the prophet Joseph Smith. So again I say the hymn "Praise to the Man" is not out of place and should not be offensive to anyone who has the spirit of the Lord and especially to anyone who has a testimony of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. Now just to set the teeth on edge of the "lilly livered Saints" out there I give you the text to that wonderful hymn:
Praise to the Man, no. 27

"1. Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!

Jesus anointed that Prophet and Seer.

Blessed to open the last dispensation,

Kings shall extol him, and nations revere.

[Chorus]

Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!

Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.

Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren;

Death cannot conquer the hero again.

2. Praise to his mem’ry, he died as a martyr;

Honored and blest be his ever great name!

Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins,

Plead unto heav’n while the earth lauds his fame.

3. Great is his glory and endless his priesthood.

Ever and ever the keys he will hold.

Faithful and true, he will enter his kingdom,

Crowned in the midst of the prophets of old.

4. Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven;

Earth must atone for the blood of that man.

Wake up the world for the conflict of justice.

Millions shall know “Brother Joseph” again."

Text: William W. Phelps, 1792–1872

:yahoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdH3bj74yeg

I agree 100% with Lightbearer, especially when accompanied by the Great Highland War Pipes.

I look at it this way, if Christ is metaphorically King Arthur, then Joseph Smith is the Sir Gawain that quested for the Green Knight.

Joseph Smith is analogous to Jesus Christ: what Christ was to Christianity,

As usual, you got it wrong -- we do not worship JS.

JS is to Mormons as Paul is to the historic Christian church. Both of them lead us to Christ. Both opposed the false doctrines of the theologians and Bible scholars in their day, who placed their interpretation of the scriptures above the words of the living prophets.

Anyway, I recently watched the DVD "Emma" (from netflix). It gave me a renewed appreciation not only of Emma but the prophet.

Edited by cdowis

Actually I think he might like the song. He was kind of a boastful guy at times.

I enjoy singing the song, but I do like the songs about Christ a whole lot better.

Edited by Rivers

As usual, you got it wrong -- we do not worship JS.

JS is to Mormons as Paul is to the historic Christian church. Both of them lead us to Christ. Both opposed the false doctrines of the theologians and Bible scholars in their day, who placed their interpretation of the scriptures above the words of the living prophets.

Anyway, I recently watched the DVD "Emma" (from netflix). It gave me a renewed appreciation not only of Emma but the prophet.

Except Christians don't have hymns in which they praise Paul. Joseph Smith is more of what Mohammed is to Muslims.

I have also have a greater appreciation for Emma which I gained from reading Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith.

Edited by Rivers

He was kind of a boastful guy at times.

Joseph Smith is more of what (the Prophet) Mohammad (PBUH) is to Muslims.

I find this to be extraordinarily offensive and disrespectful. Please refrain from comparing Joseph Smith to the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) in the future.

And he was entertaining reincarnation. . .

Really? Please do explain.

I find this to be extraordinarily offensive and disrespectful. Please refrain from comparing Joseph Smith to the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) in the future.

How's that offensive?

Edited by Rivers

How's that offensive?

That would be an off topic conversation which the fearsome Ares would beat me for.

I can't tell if you are feigning ignorance or actually blind to the offensiveness of the comparison. If you wish to discuss please start another thread.

Except Christians don't have hymns in which they praise Paul.

But they do have lots of hymns praising their interpretation of Paul's doctrine of grace.

Really? Please do explain.

That's what Eliza Snow tells us.

I was once at a ward christmas party where they had a birthday cake for Joseph Smith and just so they didn't forget the spirit of Christmas they had another cake that said Happy Birthday Jesus on it. Just to make it even weirder they than sang Happy Birthday twice. Once to Joseph Smith and once to Jesus. It was very bizarre.

If I remember correctly the activities committee chair was released shortly after the party.

Edited by sjdawg

I was once at a ward christmas party where they had a birthday cake for Joseph Smith and just so they didn't forget the spirit of Christmas they had another cake that said Happy Birthday Jesus on it. Just to make it even weirder they than sang Happy Birthday twice. Once to Joseph Smith and once to Jesus. It was very bizarre.

If I remember correctly the activities committee chair was released shortly after the party.

:rofl:

I've heard similar things from my wife and a friend of hers, so no, don't feel alone. I enjoy it, though perhaps because the tune is "Scotland the Brave," and I can't deny my Scottish heritage. :) But yes, I can definitely understand your sentiment. I think perhaps it isn't appropriate for Sacrament meeting, but I think it's in the hymn book because it is appropriate for other occasions and functions.

every-time I hear this song it makes me think I belong to the "Church of Joseph Smith of Latter Day Saints"

every-time I hear this song it makes me think I belong to the "Church of Joseph Smith of Latter Day Saints"

In 2005 when the church celebrated the bicentennial of Joseph Smith, I thought to myself, "No wonder people think we worship Joseph Smith."

Joseph Smith was great and all, but I do think the church gets a little overboard with praising him sometimes.

In 2005 when the church celebrated the bicentennial of Joseph Smith, I thought to myself, "No wonder people think we worship Joseph Smith."

Joseph Smith was great and all, but I do think the church gets a little overboard with praising him sometimes.

I dunno, I am surprised that the Jew don't celebrate Moses more for getting them the heck out of Egypt.

Catholics deal with this exact issue in regards to being accused of worshipping Mary. 'Praise to the Man' may not have been a favorite tune of mine but I appreciate the love most LDS have for the song.

My 2 cents

How tragic for you,

The church has completely done away with the activities committee. :<)