Seriously No Politics ×

Bodybuilding Bishops

If I really wanted to rock the boat I would ask how people hold such high Priesthood callings and reamain/become fatter and fatter and fatter?

Just curious where they find the time to be so lazy and eat so much? And don't argue with me about this. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. Unless you provide me a note from your endocrinologist.

Big UP!

Lamanite

Weird topic. Anyone remember bishop Steven Christensen? His MO was "strange" too; he admitted to watching (gasp!) R-rated movies. His spiritual approach to his calling was casual. Of course, he got "taken out" by Mark Hofmann, so maybe the Lord was POed with him after all.

A body-building GA wouldn't even strike me as wrong, merely highly unusual. Having a perfectly-toned and sculpted body is in itself a GOOD thing. What else is done relative to the vast self respect the possessor has for his/her own body, is, of course, entirely a whole 'nuther matter....

Hi Daniel2,

I think this is a pretty common misconception of what it takes to be a natural bodybuilder.

If you want to be a carded pro, then perhaps you would need 3 hours (and a lot of pharmaceutical “assistance”), but the average amateur natural bodybuilder would severely over-train in that amount of time. Not to mention the many physiological setbacks that accompany working out that long if bodybuilding is your goal (for example, the testosterone drop, cortisol spike, glycogen depletion, etc.).

What you do outside of the gym is exponentially more important than what you do inside the gym when it comes to bodybuilding.

Hey, Doctor Suess,

Yeah, when I mentioned the three hours a day, I was referring to a carded pro who's prepping for (and hoping to win) a competition. Understandably, not all body builders feel the need to spend that much time at the gym (and especially those that aren't concerned with being huger than their competition).

Thanks for helping add your experience for clarity to the discussion!

Daniel2

Edited by Daniel2

Wellllllll...

I don't sip the Mountain Dew so much as I tenderly caress the aluminum while pressing my lips against it to quench my profound gulf of fiery thirst with its pleasure inducing effervescent flavors... Then I gently rest the beverage next to me and whisper "my precioussssss..." to it...

For me, only to a Mt. Dew Throwback. Caffinated AND real sugar. Why can't they do that to Dr. Pepper?

Had a kid call me Lou Ferrigno at the gym last week.

:feltgoodman:

I guess I better start my cycle of trenbolone and deca a little early if I'm going to keep up! I'm just waiting for someone to call me Ronnie Coleman! My favorite bb of all time!

Big UP!

Lamanite

Lou Ferrigno? How old was this "kid"?!

Late teens / early twenties. Only someone with youthful perception problems would see any semblance between me and Lou (still felt good though). I’m only 6’ 240lbs (~13%bf).

I'm guessing he knew who Lou was from watching Pumping Iron (it's a cult classic amongst gym rats... particularly young ones).

I guess I better start my cycle of trenbolone and deca a little early if I'm going to keep up! I'm just waiting for someone to call me Ronnie Coleman! My favorite bb of all time!

Big UP!

Lamanite

Give me a bit of a heads up before you come to Vegas so I can make sure everyone expands their doorframes to accommodate your hyugeness.

Edited by Doctor Steuss

Late teens / early twenties. Only someone with youthful perception problems would see any semblance between me and Lou (still felt good though). I’m only 6’ 240lbs (~13%bf).

I'm guessing he knew who Lou was from watching Pumping Iron (it's a cult classic amongst gym rats... particularly young ones).

Give me a bit of a heads up before you come to Vegas so I can make sure everyone expands their doorframes to accommodate your hyugeness.

Dude I got sooo skinny the last six months. Last time we talked I was 245lbs. Now I'm a measly 210lbs. HAHAHAHA Oh effff!

Come to Salt Lake in July cuz I'm having a bbq.

Big UP!

Lamanite

I could see David Bokovoy as a bodybuilding bishop. I think his workout has more in common with a Viking than a gym rat, though.

Dang. I thought everyone here weighed 400 pounds and were couch potatoes!

This gives a whole new meaning to the thread "Joseph Smith and his Gun(s)"

Edited by mfbukowski

People can do what they want without my interference but what would you think about a Bishop who body builds and goes into contests and gets tanned and shaved an all that stuff? Would it make a difference if he worked for the Church? I know there isn't a question on the Temple Recommend list about bodybuilding in your spare time but!

Put him in the next diversity commercial. More interesting than faux actors.