Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dougtheavenger

What Lehi'S Dna Looked Like?..J, E1B1B, R1A Or Q

Many of you may have heard Book of Mormon scholars say that we don't know what Lehi's DNA looked like and this is quite true. By King David's time, his kingdom had a fairly cosmopolitan population. For example, Bathsheba's husband was a Hittite. By 600 BC the Israelite gene pool probably included the following Y-chromosome lineages.

J - The most common Y lineage in modern Jews about 40%. This Y lineage is very common throughout the Middle East.

E1b1b - The second most common Y lineage in modern Jews; also common thoughout the Middle East.

R1a - Present in most Jewish populations; most common in Eastern Europe but also present in the Near East.

Q1a3b - Present in 15% of Yemenite Jews and not yet detected in any non-Jewish group. Because many Yemenite Jews migrated to Yemen in 629 BC or earlier, it seems probable that this lineage was present in the Israelite gene pool when Lehi left Jerusalem.

Q1b - Present in 5% of Ashkenazi Jews. (Behar) and (Shen 2004)

Q* - Present in 5% of Iraqi Jews (Shen 2004) Although I list this as Q*, the fact is that Shen did not test for M346 or other mutations that would have more accurately identified the particular strain of Q in Iraqi Jews. Since Yemenite Jews are probably close relatives of Iraqi Jews, there is a distinct possibility that Iraqi Jewish Q wil be Q1a3a. We have to wait till research gets around to testing for the M346 mutation in this group.

As research progresses, new strains of many Y-lineages are discovered. For example, very recent research turned up a new Native American lineage that researchers named Q1a3a4 and a new European lineage they dubbed Q1a3a3. Yes, as the names indicate they are very closely related. As yet I don't know of any research that has tested for the M323 mutation in American Indians. So it is possible that some of Native American now thought to be Q1a3a will be discovered to be Q1a3b. The point is that there are going to be new discoveries and probably some surprises ahead.

The point is that there are going to be new discoveries and probably some surprises ahead.

I love surprises.

By 600 BC the Israelite gene pool probably included the following Y-chromosome lineages.

Considering the few numbers you left us (40% modern jews have J and decreasing from there), why must it be assumed that this somehow represents the DNA of Jerusalem folks in 600 BC? I mean it seems to me any number of Jerusalem in habitants could be lacking any of the DNA markers you identify in modern populations, right?

Lehi's DNA looked like a double helix.

Lehi's DNA looked like a double helix.

Hey that's whta Native American DNA looks like to. Finally we have located a trace!

Considering the few numbers you left us (40% modern jews have J and decreasing from there), why must it be assumed that this somehow represents the DNA of Jerusalem folks in 600 BC? I mean it seems to me any number of Jerusalem in habitants could be lacking any of the DNA markers you identify in modern populations, right?

I did not mean to imply that my list was exhaustive. I simply chose those Y-chromosome haplogroups (J, E1b1b, R1a, Q1a3a, Q1b, and Q*) because they are either shared by Native Americans and people in the Middle East(Q1a3a, R1a) or they are very similar or possibilities (Q1a3b & Q*) or they are very frequent in modern Jews (J & E1b1b). There are, of course, many other lineages present in modern Jews and the Middle East. In fact 1 in 40 Iranians has "East Asian" MtDNA.

I did not mean to imply that my list was exhaustive. I simply chose those Y-chromosome haplogroups (J, E1b1b, R1a, Q1a3a, Q1b, and Q*) because they are either shared by Native Americans and people in the Middle East(Q1a3a, R1a) or they are very similar or possibilities (Q1a3b & Q*) or they are very frequent in modern Jews (J & E1b1b). There are, of course, many other lineages present in modern Jews and the Middle East. In fact 1 in 40 Iranians has "East Asian" MtDNA.

Alright, But I"m still eager to figure this out. Could there have been any number of inhabitants of Jerusalem in 600 BC who would not have genetic markers present in modern Jews or other middle easterners?

Pardon my ignorance please.

Alright, But I"m still eager to figure this out. Could there have been any number of inhabitants of Jerusalem in 600 BC who would not have genetic markers present in modern Jews or other middle easterners?

Pardon my ignorance please.

Yes.

That said, there not too many genetic markers not present in modern Jews. You may have seen the news about Larry David, a Jew, discovering that he has a lot of "Native American" DNA.In fact Jews and other people of Eastern Meditteranean are routinely told they have American Indian ancestors when the truth is that Jews and Native Americans have common ancestors not shared by others peoples.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0428/p14s02-stct.html

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=135212