Seriously No Politics ×

"Leading"...Volunteers?

My wife and I are in charge of large youth event this summer. I am sensitive to the fact that participation in this event (both for the youth as well as the adults) requires no small commitment—not to mention a willingness to go without showers for 4 full days; nevertheless, this “caravan” needs to roll on, and I am having a tough time figuring out the best way to elicit non-equivocal commitments. What am I doing wrong? How does one go about “leading” volunteers?

My wife and I are in charge of large youth event this summer. I am sensitive to the fact that participation in this event (both for the youth as well as the adults) requires no small commitment—not to mention a willingness to go without showers for 4 full days; nevertheless, this “caravan” needs to roll on, and I am having a tough time figuring out the best way to elicit non-equivocal commitments. What am I doing wrong? How does one go about “leading” volunteers?

I would suggest doing an online search for some young men/women leader support group or a blog that discusses this kind of stuff. You might get suggestions on how to get commitments.

Have you asked for volunteers? A lot of members have done this before with positive experiences and may want to do it again.

Is it a pioneer trek? They can be absolutely brutal but wonderful if properly planned and executed. If you can't get people to commit, I'd go to the Bishop with a list of people you feel would be good leaders and ask him to call them. To make it a safe experience, there must be an adult leader for every four or five young people.

I would suggest doing an online search for some young men/women leader support group or a blog that discusses this kind of stuff. You might get suggestions on how to get commitments.

Have you asked for volunteers? A lot of members have done this before with positive experiences and may want to do it again.

Thanks for the suggestions. Asking for volunteers actually yielded some excellent results this week!

Is it a pioneer trek? They can be absolutely brutal but wonderful if properly planned and executed. If you can't get people to commit, I'd go to the Bishop with a list of people you feel would be good leaders and ask him to call them. To make it a safe experience, there must be an adult leader for every four or five young people.

Yes, it is a pioneer trek. I'm hoping my lack of experience and basic "ineptitude" will not detract from what (by all accounts) can be very uplifting experience for the kids.