Seriously No Politics ×

Restoring 'Thomas B. Marsh'S' Good Name

Craig Paxton

The scriptures are full of stories about individuals from a different perspective than is found in other sources, some of which would seem to have a greater degree of historical accuracy. Whether or not one agrees with the process of turning individuals' lives into simplified stories for teaching gospel principles, it has a long history.

It is true nonetheless. I did not repeat it to cause you or anyone distress--only to illustrate that such odd things do happen.

Ok, paint me a picture, because I'm not seeing it.

Sister Pearl, the president of the Relief Society calls Sister March, a contented member of the society:

Sister Pearl: Hi Sister March, it's Sister Pearl. We're having a service project for Relief Society, and I was wondering if you could bring a loaf of bread.

Based on this request, Sister March, who up to this time was a faithful member of the Church, has a transformation that ultimately leads to her leaving the Church? What is it that you aren't telling us?

Ok, paint me a picture, because I'm not seeing it......What is it that you aren't telling us?

It is likely that if okra gives you sufficient detail to convince you that the individual okra is talking about may be identifiable...which is probably not appropriate. If you are concerned enough, perhaps you could continue this in private messages?

Ok, paint me a picture, because I'm not seeing it.

Sister Pearl, the president of the Relief Society calls Sister March, a contented member of the society:

Sister Pearl: Hi Sister March, it's Sister Pearl. We're having a service project for Relief Society, and I was wondering if you could bring a loaf of bread.

Based on this request, Sister March, who up to this time was a faithful member of the Church, has a transformation that ultimately leads to her leaving the Church? What is it that you aren't telling us?

That's actually quite close. It may or may not help to know that it was "in-person" request (not over the phone as your dialogue seems to imply), and there were witnesses. It went more like this:

Sister Pearl: Welcome to this RS Presdency meeting. Let's begin with a discussion about our upcoming service project. Now Sister March, I know we had previously agreed that you would be bringing a salad, but I've just gone through the list we passed around during RS meeting, and we have more than enough of thoses coming now; so would you mind if we changed your assignment to bread?

The only other thing I can share with you is that Sister Pearl did not (and still does not) easily embrace change.

It's true. Not the reason he was excommunicated but it was an actual event.

Really? It's a true story? Ummm...other than George A. Smith's 2nd hand claim, some 20 years after the so called milk strippings event...can you produce even one other shread of evidence that supports your claim that it is a true story? A diary entry purhaps? Maybe some record from one of the many church court procedings that supposedly took place? Ummm...what? Nothing? Surely there must be something, somewhere...

I guess we just have a different standard for what is true...

BTW....I'm more than willing to "eat crow" on this if you can produce anything....but...I don't think I'm going to have to turn on the stove any time soon...

The false premise is yours.

No one teaches that people leave the Church over such trivial issues. That is a strawman, nothing more.

Ummm...Actually that is exactly what Thomas S. Monson taught..."All of this occurred because of a disagreement over the exchange of milk and cream." Thomas S.Monson, Ensign November 2009

But as I've stated...the truth is much more complicated....

It's ok...I accept apologies

Really? It's a true story? Ummm...other than George A. Smith's 2nd hand claim, some 20 years after the so called milk strippings event

Since I don't question George A. Smith's word I will assume he either knew of it first hand or had other sources from which he got it. It is very likely a journal entry, one not yet published.

Since I don't question George A. Smith's word I will assume he either knew of it first hand or had other sources from which he got it. It is very likely a journal entry, one not yet published.

Do you think Henry Bigler's Journal entry might satisfy Craig Paxton? My link (referenced on pages 394-395 under footnote 22.)

Do you suppose Craig Paxton might accept Thomas B. Marsh's 1857 letter to Heber C. Kimball (page 397-398) where he speaks of being "overjoyed" because of his reconciliation with George W. Harris (husband of the Sister Harris whom Elizabeth Marsh had wronged) as further corroboration of the incident?

Do you think Henry Bigler's Journal entry might satisfy Craig Paxton? My link (referenced on pages 394-395 under footnote 22.)

Do you suppose Craig Paxton might accept Thomas B. Marsh's 1857 letter to Heber C. Kimball (page 397-398) where he speaks of being "overjoyed" because of his reconciliation with George W. Harris (husband of the Sister Harris whom Elizabeth Marsh had wronged) as further corroboration of the incident?

I would like to be the first to welcome Bro. Paxton back into the Church.

Bernard

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

Archived