Seriously No Politics ×

What Are "Uncorrelated" Mormons Afraid Of?

Duncan

it has seemed to me after 100s of hours of discussion that they are afraid that, if they truly surrender themselves, they will somehow be less, not more.

Come across a few of those myself, mainly among young adults though.

I am glad you came on here, I am taking a hiatus - as I said, there are wonderful and faithful members here who will help you out. Feel free to email me too. Take care.

Thanks bookofmormontruth for your comments. And thanks for being open to helping. Hope the hiatus is fun!

I was wondering what people who identify as an "uncorrelated" Mormon seem to be afraid of? I don't know what a "correlated" Mormon is but what would be the worse thing that could happen to an "uncorrelated" Mormon if they identified as a "correlated" one. I hate labeling people because it seems like uncorrelated Mormons now all correlate together but...just asking! Please note I have glasses so no hitting

People in an "uncorrelated" position may fear losing family and friendship over breaking with the Church's dogmatic doctrines. But this concern is no different from a convert's when s/he leaves a family and cultural religion to become a Mormon....

One does not have to consider BoM events to be literal, historical fact in order to consider it scripture. You could think of it as "inspired myth" that teaches truths about God and our relationship with Him. Many Christian think this way about the Bible.

Indeed.

In his recent (and excellent) Understanding the Book of Mormon, Grant Hardy goes so far as to postulate that the Jaredite history contained in the Book of Ether had the Christology read back into it by the redactor, Moroni.

Does this mean Grant Hardy should not be considered a faithful Mormon, or that he considers the Book of Mormon as something other than scripture?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Consiglieri,

I don't understand your question. How does the observation that Moroni was the author of the Christological (?) parts of the Book of Ether in any way imply that the Book of Mormon isn't scripture? or that Bro Hardy isn't faithful by documenting it. His postulation pre-supposes the existence of a redactor named Moroni who was writing a sacred record.

Then he's just not a Mormon. The historicity of the BoM is kind of a big deal. To question its historicity is to question whether it was an ancient record on golden plates translated by Joseph Smith. Seems pretty clear that if you don't believe that, you're just not a Mormon.

You become a Mormon by being baptized into the Kingdom of God by the proper authority. You could be baptized and believe wild and crazy things.

Consiglieri,

I don't understand your question. How does the observation that Moroni was the author of the Christological (?) parts of the Book of Ether in any way imply that the Book of Mormon isn't scripture? or that Bro Hardy isn't faithful by documenting it. His postulation pre-supposes the existence of a redactor named Moroni who was writing a sacred record.

I was trying to respond to the viewpoint that a Mormon must believe everything in the Book of Mormon exactly as it is written in order to be communicant.

Sorry if it was confusing.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

You become a Mormon by being baptized into the Kingdom of God by the proper authority. You could be baptized and believe wild and crazy things.

Yes, but there is a thing called the baptismal interview. You are asked certain questions about your belief in certain core doctrines of the Church. You can't believe just anything and be baptized, unless you answer all the questions untruthfully.

Yes, but there is a thing called the baptismal interview. You are asked certain questions about your belief in certain core doctrines of the Church. You can't believe just anything and be baptized, unless you answer all the questions untruthfully.

But agreement and adherence to baptismal interview questions isn't a determination of who is "mormon" or who is "in the church". There are obviously plenty that are considered both of those that don't keep the WOW for example.

Archived