Seriously No Politics ×

The Value Of The Book Of Mormon

Rivers

I can only speak from personal experience, but I'd read the entire Old and New Testaments through before I ever read the Book of Mormon. I overwhelmingly accepted what I'd read and considered myself a follower of Christ, but my life didn't really change much. Then I read the Book of Mormon, and everything changed. For the first time, I really came to know the Saviour, and He completely altered me.

I can believe that it doesn't work that way for everyone, but there is incredible power in the Book of Mormon to bring people to Christ.

Amen and Amen!!! yahoo.gif

Anyone who has ever read the Book of Mormon would know the answer to this question. Are you an atheist or an apostate, or are you just trying to troll and take the spirit away from the believing members? I ask this not to be rude but to know where your hangups in life lie so that I may best know how to help the Lord to succor you.

I will pray for you brother. Remember that God is NOT mocked, and that asking questions like this one only serves to anger God.

Look at me when you say that. I have read the Book of Mormon, cover to cover, well over two-dozen times and countless times in part. Long before my present "difficulties" I was already noticing the "inexplicable" contents that increasingly got in the way as I tried to obediently "sup from its pages daily", etc.

Joseph Smith created the book. Simple as that. The "hows and whys" remain unresolved in detail. But I do accept that he was both gifted enough and believing enough in his "calling" to come forth with that book. There isn't anything in it that can't be accounted for in the early 19th century in upper state NY.

I find it interesting that you know so much about the mind of "God". You sound very Muslim: i.e. needing to defend "God" from all these unbelievers. I think that "God" can take care of himself. "Champions of the faith" are not required to defend "God" because he is not threatened in the least by his own creation....

Ever since the Ezra Taft Benson, general authorities have constantly been emphasizing the importance of studying the Book of Mormon more than any of the other standard works.

What is in the Book of Mormon that is so valuable that we can't find in the Bible? What are specific unique teachings of the Book of Mormon that give it its worth?

Through my experiences with my wife, who was a long time Evangelical (Baptist) until early last year; The Book of Mormon clarifies many of the doctrines of the Bible. My wife has compared what she has learned over the past few years as taking the puzzle that was "God" in her view, and filling in the missing pieces. The Book of Mormon, as well as the modern teachings of the Church has helped to fill in those pieces and has helped her to make sense of things that didn't make sense to her.

Please, I read the BoM three times between the ages of 12 and 20. I prayed fervently and fasted to know of it's truth and get a confirmation from the spirit. It never happened, so I began looking elsewhere for "truth."

Perhaps Alma 32 holds the answer for you.

Personally, my favorite teaching in the Book of Mormon is that of the "fortunate fall." I love the concept that our mortality is all part of God's plan rather than a curse. Not only are we trying to return to a state of paradise, but by living in a state of non-paradise we are able to distinguish good from evil and learn to have true joy. This teaching is essential to the plan of salvation. The whole idea of opposition in all things for righteousness to come to pass is a perfect answer to the entire problem of evil. So I would have to say that 2 Nephi 2 is my favorite chapter.

Please, I read the BoM three times between the ages of 12 and 20. I prayed fervently and fasted to know of it's truth and get a confirmation from the spirit. It never happened, so I began looking elsewhere for "truth."

Look at me when you say that. I have read the Book of Mormon, cover to cover, well over two-dozen times and countless times in part. Long before my present "difficulties" I was already noticing the "inexplicable" contents that increasingly got in the way as I tried to obediently "sup from its pages daily", etc.

I am sorry that the two of you did not get the answer you were looking for. I know it can be very frustrating to not get an answer, or to not get an answer in the way you expect or understand.

I have received answers in the past that I didn't realize were answers until I had the luxury of time and retrospection. Unfortunately, most of those answers were "no" answers, which is why it took me time and retrospection to see it.

ADDITION:

I am not sure I ever got a clear "voice" or "heartburn" answer from the Lord on the Book of Mormon being a true book. However, when I put it's doctrine in to practice, I find my life is happier and easier. That may not be the way I was expecting the answer, but to me, it is a very clear positive answer.

Nothing unique about its doctrines or teachings. All that typifies Mormonism as "non Christian" came long after the BoM. Virtually everything in the BoM can be found in the Bible; including, of course, a huge fraction being quoted directly from the Bible. There is nothing taught in the BoM about the later doctrines of the afterlife (degrees of glory, for instance); temple ordinances for the dead; God the Father and the Son being separate, corporeal beings; or two distinct priesthoods; and the BoM teaches that polygamy is strictly forbidden as "abominable"....

This is an old myth from the antimormons. "Nothing new here. Don't bother to read it, just a waste of time."

• 1. The BOM teaches the fullness of the "Doctrine of Christ" (Christ tells us specifically what that means). It does not claim to teach everything.
    But let us take one specific doctrine, baptism. Does the Bible teach that it is necessary for salvation? If so, then why do so many Bible believers deny that it is necessary. Just ask our friend Rob Bowman. But the BOM gives us a very clear answer.
    When I was on my mission, I had a meeting with the JW. Surely they know the Bible. I showed them the doctrine of priesthood authority in the BOM, and then showed that same doctrine in the Bible. Priesthood authority flows from the authority of a living prophet, just as Aaron was called. The BOM made that doctrine clear.
    2. You pretend to be an expert on the BOM, based on your claim. So, dear chap, tell us about Adam and the Fall as it was taught in the Bible. Now take a look in the BOM.
    Tell us about the relationship between justice and mercy from the Bible. Then look in the BOM.
    Tell us about hell, the fate of the wicked. Then look in the BOM.

Questing beast, tell us about your expertise on the BOM and the Bible. How many times have you read the BOM..... the Bible?

A myth proclaimed by the bitter antimormons, hoping to deceive the naive and ignorant == "As an expert on the BOM, I can assure you that you don't need to read it. Nothing new here."

According to Moroni's bold promise: It is impossible for an honest truth seeker who has real intent and faith in the Lord, to not receive an answer.

I hope by stating this, it "offends" or in the least gives a person to reflect on their own lives on why they haven't received the witness that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. For we all will be held accountable (no matter what excuses we give or have) for accepting or rejecting the Book of Mormon which is the true litmus test for the world.

According to Moroni's bold promise: It is impossible for an honest truth seeker who has real intent and faith in the Lord, to not receive an answer.

I hope by stating this, it "offends" or in the least gives a person to reflect on their own lives on why they haven't received the witness that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. For we all will be held accountable (no matter what excuses we give or have) for accepting or rejecting the Book of Mormon which is the true litmus test for the world.

That may be true, but it doesn't specify how that answer would be given. It can be easy to overlook or miss the answer if it isn't as bold as a "voice" or "lightning" or a "burning bush". I'm as dense as the next man, and more dense than many, and it took me quite a while to get the idea that my prayer had been answered.

Sometimes the Lord can be a bit too subtle for our/my own good.

Alma 12 and Alma 13 are my golden chapters of the Book of Mormon. The Bible, as we have it today, doesn't discuss the principles of personal choice and salvation nor the priesthood of God the way Alma 12 and Alma 13 do.

Kingsson, you're new so I'll go easy. Please consider the following if you want to hang around long term:

1.) Drop the cult accusation. Even a tangential, I-didn't-say-it-but-I-implied-it garbage. Just drop it.

2.) John, the author of Revelations, didn't take the Bible and 'finish it up' with his visions and then close the back leather cover and say "Well, everyone that's it." How the Bible was built and put together flies in the face of the argument that the Book of Mormon adds or takes away from the Bible. The following Google search item will help you see my meaning: Codex Sinaiticus.

Welcome to the board. Hope you stick around.

That may be true, but it doesn't specify how that answer would be given. It can be easy to overlook or miss the answer if it isn't as bold as a "voice" or "lightning" or a "burning bush". I'm as dense as the next man, and more dense than many, and it took me quite a while to get the idea that my prayer had been answered.

Sometimes the Lord can be a bit too subtle for our/my own good.

Agreed, but an answer is still given when there is faith in the Lord and with real intent.

Ever since the Ezra Taft Benson, general authorities have constantly been emphasizing the importance of studying the Book of Mormon more than any of the other standard works.

What is in the Book of Mormon that is so valuable that we can't find in the Bible? What are specific unique teachings of the Book of Mormon that give it its worth?

2 Nephi 9-10 and Mosiah 1-5, start there. No hidden meanings, just pure doctrine. Also Christ did not speak in parables to hide his message from the wicked.

I completely agree with the many examples that have been posted as reasons the Book of Mormon is so important. I feel the the book is also used for preperation...that is, we do not have all of the abridged revelations that Mormon and Moroni put together in what is knowns as the Golden Plates. I feel the Book of Mormon as we know it is a mighty instrument in the hands of the Lords honest followers "unto the convincing of the Jew and the Gentile" but I feel that once we learn to use it correctly and understand it better then the Lord will allow the other 2\3rds (or however much is still sealed) to be revealed and then we'll see that this type of a discussion will no longer be needed because it will be obvious unto the point of no disputes. On that note I do also agree that for someone who just reads the Book of Mormon without putting much study and prayer into it, it would seem to be a great book but not add a whole lot to the Bible. For those who have put study, prayer, and fasting into wanting to know the truth of the Book of Mormon all I can say is continue in patience...the Lord works in mysterious ways...and thanks for sharing your concerns with us, its obviously not easy to do.

I completely agree with the many examples that have been posted as reasons the Book of Mormon is so important. I feel the the book is also used for preperation...that is, we do not have all of the abridged revelations that Mormon and Moroni put together in what is knowns as the Golden Plates. I feel the Book of Mormon as we know it is a mighty instrument in the hands of the Lords honest followers "unto the convincing of the Jew and the Gentile" but I feel that once we learn to use it correctly and understand it better then the Lord will allow the other 2\3rds (or however much is still sealed) to be revealed and then we'll see that this type of a discussion will no longer be needed because it will be obvious unto the point of no disputes. On that note I do also agree that for someone who just reads the Book of Mormon without putting much study and prayer into it, it would seem to be a great book but not add a whole lot to the Bible. For those who have put study, prayer, and fasting into wanting to know the truth of the Book of Mormon all I can say is continue in patience...the Lord works in mysterious ways...and thanks for sharing your concerns with us, its obviously not easy to do.

...a man will draw nearer unto God...

Well, I don't believe Moroni's promise, and that is after putting it to the test on a number of occassions. Is there something in the LDS handbook that states that TBMs must always blame the seeker when Moroni's promise fails? If I had a nickle for every time I heard that argument, I wouldn't have to work.

I am completely and utterly at ease in being held accountable for my rejection of the BoM. If there is a god, I will have no shame in letting him know that I did all I knew how to receive a witness (supposedly he will already know this).

The Book of Mormon itself defines the gospel as this:

Behold I have given unto you my agospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you—that I came into the world to do the bwill of my Father, because my Father sent me. And my Father sent me that I might be alifted up upon the bcross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the ccross, that I might ddraw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be ejudged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil—

And for this cause have I been alifted up; therefore, according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their bworks.

And it shall come to pass, that whoso arepenteth and is baptized in my bname shall be filled; and if he cendureth to the end, behold, him will I hold guiltless before my Father at that day when I shall stand to judge the world.

And he that endureth not unto the end, the same is he that is also hewn down and cast into the fire, from whence they can no more return, because of the ajustice of the Father.

And this is the word which he hath given unto the children of men. And for this cause he fulfilleth the words which he hath given, and he lieth not, but fulfilleth all his words.

And ano unclean thing can enter into his kingdom; therefore nothing entereth into his brest save it be those who have cwashed their garments in my blood, because of their faith, and the repentance of all their sins, and their faithfulness unto the end.

Now this is the commandment: aRepent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be bbaptized in my name, that ye may be csanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may stand dspotless before me at the last day.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my agospel; and ye know the things that ye must bdo in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do;

Therefore, if ye do these things blessed are ye, for ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

So by the Book of Mormon's own definition of the gospel, the Book of Mormon does teach the fullness of the gospel. This includes the atonement, faith in Christ, repentance, baptism, the gift of the holy ghost, and enduring to the end. The Book of Mormon teaches these fundamental concepts very well.

For anybody who already understands those basic concepts, I would highly recommend studying the four gospels and reading Talmage's Jesus the Christ.

Well, I don't believe Moroni's promise, and that is after putting it to the test on a number of occassions. Is there something in the LDS handbook that states that TBMs must always blame the seeker when Moroni's promise fails? If I had a nickle for every time I heard that argument, I wouldn't have to work.

I am completely and utterly at ease in being held accountable for my rejection of the BoM. If there is a god, I will have no shame in letting him know that I did all I knew how to receive a witness (supposedly he will already know this).

I'm not sure if i ever received a specific answer to Moroni's promise either. All of my faith is based on experiences that let me know there really is a loving father in heaven up there as opposed to a spiritual witness about a specific text.

I know He's called "only begotten," "Beloved," "Savior," and "Christ" (or Messiah), but what are some of the other names?

Are any names or tittles unique to the BOM?

See the link given. :)

Or he is pushing us to grow in a necessary area where we are currently stunted....

I agree that it is the other side of the same coin, I was just trying to attempt to be... sensitive... to people's feelings on the subject. (ok, you can stop laughing at the idea of me being sensitive... no really, stop laughing... /sigh)

I agree that it is the other side of the same coin, I was just trying to attempt to be... sensitive... to people's feelings on the subject. (ok, you can stop laughing at the idea of me being sensitive... no really, stop laughing... /sigh)

I am sorry, but your avatar doesn't help with the whole....sensitive....stuff.:ph34r:

Archived