Seriously No Politics ×

Has a Nephite coin been found?

mapman

I am so glad I am not the only geeky one on the board.

I've never played D&D, but I've watched it being played (other games, too, use similar dice).

When first a Nephite "coin" was mentioned, I was, like "yeah, right" because I had thought that coins had only come into use after the Lehites left Jerusalem. But a little digging turns up the fact that the earliest coins were in fact made perhaps even before 700 BC in Aegina, Greece. The notion of "coin" could have made it to Jerusalem by the time of the Lehites, even if they were not in widespread use. Besides all that, coins solve a particular problem, that of signifying a standard quantity of precious metal and therewith enabling commerce. There is no reason why the idea of "coin" could not have been invented independently in more than one place.

But these metal balls could well have been a form of coinage. I think that is ever so cool! Too bad nobody ever found the cave where this Walker guy found them! Let's go look!

I hate to be the first on this thread to register a healthy dose of skepticism . . .

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

I myself am skeptical, as I indicated by saying "I am not sure what to think about this" in the OP. Perhaps I have not been clear: I am not arguing for or against people actually having found Nephite coins, but I find these historical accounts to be interesting and worth researching.

From here:

Nephite+Coin.jpg

The "Nephite Coin" (as depicted in several treasure books) was found 15' below the surface in Salt Lake City and is actually a 'Pice' issued in British India in Bengal by the mint in Calcutta in 1831. Made of copper. How this came to rest in Salt Lake could be an interesting story.

Reference Krause Catalog of World Coins. Page 990-706 E. Value 50 cent to 3.50 depends on condition. Aug 24th 82. by H. F. Campbell. 1982 Edition. Nicholas G. Morgan, Donor.

Archived