Seriously No Politics ×

Why is General Priesthood Session not televised to the general audience?

Has anyone else wondered why Priesthood session isn't televised to the general audience like General Conference? I mean, it gets published in the Ensign a month later for everyone to read anyway, so why is it so Priesthood-specific and almost kept secret from all the women and children in the LDS church? Just wonderin'...

Has anyone else wondered why Priesthood session isn't televised to the general audience like General Conference? I mean, it gets published in the Ensign a month later for everyone to read anyway, so why is it so Priesthood-specific and almost kept secret from all the women and children in the LDS church? Just wonderin'...

:P sigh.... GG

I watched it online less than an hour after it was over. It's not secret. My husband thinks they do it so the men will have to socialize.

It's never been "kept secret". Even before we could watch it online, it was published and distributed in the Ensign and distributed on DVDs, VHS tapes, and cassette tapes before that.

edit: I think Garden Girl sighed instead of answering the question because "kept secret" sounds like something a critic of the church would say inferring some negative deception on the part of the Priesthood. And yet, as you mentioned, there is no secret - the talks are published.

This site has a range of participants from devout members to doubting members and from honest critics to angry apostates. You have to choose your words carefully or people won't be able to tell how you are approaching the issues. :P

Edited by mercyngrace

My stake bribes us with a pizza social. As the joke goes, the pizza part goes from 7:15 to 7:25. Of course I am not so much for socializing(I was like the ONLY one there not wearing a suit and tie), but my favorite part is taking control of the Mother's room and listening to the session in complete darkness. I've done that every year since I've joined the church, which comes out to about 15 times if you count the conferences I've had to miss.

edit: I think Garden Girl sighed instead of answering the question because "kept secret" sounds like something a critic of the church would say inferring some negative deception on the part of the Priesthood. And yet, as you mentioned, there is no secret - the talks are published.

This site has a range of participants from devout members to doubting members and from honest critics to angry apostates. You have to choose your words carefully or people won't be able to tell how you are approaching the issues. :P

I'm a member of the church with serious questions, just looking for some help. Sorry if the OP sounded negative, I honestly didn't mean for it to sound that way.

I'm a member of the church with serious questions, just looking for some help. Sorry if the OP sounded negative, I honestly didn't mean for it to sound that way.

Nah, don't worry about it. We all misinterpret each other all the time XD. Now we will pave though this and move on =).

My stake bribes us with a pizza social. As the joke goes, the pizza part goes from 7:15 to 7:25. Of course I am not so much for socializing(I was like the ONLY one there not wearing a suit and tie), but my favorite part is taking control of the Mother's room and listening to the session in complete darkness. I've done that every year since I've joined the church, which comes out to about 15 times if you count the conferences I've had to miss.

good.gif

So... are you going to answer my question, or not?

I thought I did... the "kept secret" sounded like someone just looking for something to be critical of the Church... looking for something sinister where there is nothing. You said yourself the sesson is published in the Ensign... what's secret about that???

I do note your post that you didn't mean to sound negative... really?

GG

I have always wondered why they keep the Relief Society conference secret from the men. It's got to be for some nefarious reason.

The difference is, I can watch the women's session live at home. Men can't watch the priesthood session live at home. I bet my husband would stay home and watch it if it were available. I never watch the women's one from home. I love to visit with my sisters! :P

Because they want the Priesthood to "gather".

Has anyone else wondered why Priesthood session isn't televised to the general audience

Because it's for the Priesthood. General Conference is for general audiences. Messages are centered for Priesthood members. We get to read them a month later so wives can remind their husbands what they are supposed to be doing. :P

It isn't kept secret at all like you said the talks are published in the Ensign and Liahona the following month, and the video can be viewed on demand the following day at http://lds.org/general-conference?lang=eng

I do not know why the leadership decides to not have a live broadcast for priesthood session, but I think it has something to do with the desire of the leadership to get the Priesthood Quorums together at the meetinghouses to view the broadcast together.

The difference is, I can watch the women's session live at home. Men can't watch the priesthood session live at home. I bet my husband would stay home and watch it if it were available. I never watch the women's one from home. I love to visit with my sisters! :P

That was a tounge in cheek post in response to OP.

Funny thing, our church updated our satellite a few months back and forgot to get our receptor (?) re-authorized by the Church so our guys missed the first half of the priesthood session while the Bishop was calling Salt Lake. Not a big deal, they still heard the First Presidency speak.

And I do agree with some of the responses. My husband was saying how he really didn't want to get dressed and go up to the Church and was really glad another friend called and said he would pick him up (for socializing as well). My husband said there was a good chance he would have skipped it if his friend didn't call and how that was so silly because he always has a great time when he goes and never regrets it.

It is an opportunity for the Church Priesthood Brethren to meet together in a General Priesthood Quorum.

Mormon men are all members of the G.R.O.S.S. club

Thanks urroner, C&H is my all time favorite comic.

Too bad the rest of this thread cannot be as logical.

Richard

"There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth." --Victor Borge