Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magyar

Another Hebraism?

I have been reading Alma 3 this month in the Book of Mormon, which contains the somewhat uncomfortable explanation of a curse -- darkened skin -- upon the Lamanites and all who "mingle their seed" with them.

I felt better after being reminded that the Lord has placed various other markers upon people throughout time, for His own purposes. And what applied to one people then, in another place and time, doesn't necessary apply to us today.

And last night, I received a huge surprise. I was looking at that word "mingle." It is only linked to "seed" rarely in the Bible -- twice, I believe. But both those times, the English word is derived from the Hebrew that transliterates "ARB," pronounced aw-rab. Yes, the same word from whence comes the cultural designation "Arab." And one sense of a-r-b, according to Strong's concordance, is "to be darkened."

A play on words. One of many that exist in the Book of Mormon, in its original language.

I was looking at that word "mingle." It is only linked to "seed" rarely in the Bible -- twice, I believe. But both those times, the English word is derived from the Hebrew that transliterates "ARB," pronounced aw-rab. Yes, the same word from whence comes the cultural designation "Arab." And one sense of a-r-b, according to Strong's concordance, is "to be darkened."

Very interesting. I have something new to explore. Thanks.

Lehi