Seriously No Politics ×

Ancient Christian Metal Books Found

bookofmormontruth

You are right, it was pure speculation on my part. I apologize for any offense.

No offense taken. Interesting find though. Just wish the scholars cited in these stories weren't so quick to assume that these are early Christian texts.

No offense taken. Interesting find though. Just wish the scholars cited in these stories weren't so quick to assume that these are early Christian texts.

These small plates were discovered about 5 years ago, and considerable research has already been done. However, patience is still called for. See the latest info at link.

Wed Mar 30, 11:36 am ET

Could lead codices prove

Haha, I shouldn't have admitted that, but yes I do watch Fox News. It just gets very painful to watch the other news channels.

I feel the same way about Fox. ;)

If it is proven to be accurate, are you going to come back to the faith? :P

Nah. If this is indeed an early Christian record, as proposed, I still wouldn't consider this evidence confirming the authenticity of the BoM. As I've stated before, the BoM mentions rocks... the discovery of rocks in the new world does not count as evidence, since knowledge of rocks was readily available to Joseph Smith and his associates before the BoM was written/translated. The same is the case for the notion of ancient Metal records.

Now... if scholarly consensus finally concludes that these are authentic, and if these records unambiguously prophesied of Joseph Smith and/or the coming forth of the BoM... then yes. I would come back.

Nothing. But you surely don't expect me to find your departure from the Church anything but sad, do you?... I think you've made a terrible mistake.

I appreciate the concern. My mother and close friends have expressed the same. I understand where they are coming from. My apostate father and active mother's struggle over religion is a vivid childhood memory. I was also pained to see each of my brothers lose faith, and I even became involved in apologetics with the hope that I might somehow be instrumental in bringing them back. But now I've lost my faith too. Fortunately, though, I came to terms with the fact that that I remain a cultural mormon. I don't call myself an exmormon anymore. I am proud of my heritage.

I'm a believer. In case I haven't mentioned that before.

I vaguely remember you mentioning that. :P

Wow. I'm very anxious to see these texts deciphered. Maybe we can lend Barker the Urim and Thummim. ha ha Seriously, I expect her to produce some great work on this stuff.

Well if Fox News says so....

:P

Sigh.

It is the oddest thing, you know. Fox News is recognized as right-wing, even though they do (I hear) have a balance of liberal and conservatives on staff working there. The other major media news organizations are so liberal that they tend to drive anyone away who does not drink the blue Kool-aid. Yet Fox is painted as biased, and the others as unbiased. At least by the left.

For the record, I hardly watch any TV news at all. The above is just my assessment from all that I have heard from both sides about the dreaded Fox.

And as a nod towards the OP, I am really interested to see what becomes of these lead plates.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if Fox News says so....

:P

Well, needless to say, I'm sure people can tell I mostly watch Fox News and even Glen Beck occasionally. But... but, I'm baffled by the depiction of FN as biased only to the right. Almost every program has both someone from the right and also from the left to discuss a particular topic. In fact, I get frustrated because those from the left are allowed free rein to express their views and pound their talking points, accurate or not... I even have to put up with Alan Colmbs on O'Reilly. And Hannity has his "panel" that always includes someone from the left. Yet I never see such allowances made on network news channels. One can say what they want about Fox, but at least the effort is made to include opposing views... that's just fact. If you don't think so, watch it several nights.

from the beach on another gray, rainy day.... I need white sands, turquoise water, swaying palms!! :cray: ... GG

Well, needless to say, I'm sure people can tell I mostly watch Fox News and even Glen Beck occasionally. But... but, I'm baffled by the depiction of FN as biased only to the right. Almost every program has both someone from the right and also from the left to discuss a particular topic. In fact, I get frustrated because those from the left are allowed free rein to express their views and pound their talking points, accurate or not... I even have to put up with Alan Colmbs on O'Reilly. And Hannity has his "panel" that always includes someone from the left. Yet I never see such allowances made on network news channels. One can say what they want about Fox, but at least the effort is made to include opposing views... that's just fact. If you don't think so, watch it several nights.

from the beach on another gray, rainy day.... I need white sands, turquoise water, swaying palms!! :cray: ... GG

Not to derail further, but I suspect you might enjoy Dion Fortune's novel,The Sea Priestess.

Archived