53 replies to this topic

#41 Mola Ram Suda Ram

Mola Ram Suda Ram

Ax Slinger after the order of RR

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:37 AM

Actually... in Joseph Smith's day, the criticism wasn't all that common. That's probably because many elementary school books, encyclopedias, dictionaries, biblical commentaries, religious periodicals, etc. actually promoted the notion that the ancients inscribed metal records.

I know, I know, it is hard to read sarcasim.

I confess I baited you. Sorry.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram, 01 April 2011 - 07:38 AM.

"Mola Ram.... Mola Ram.... Mola Ram Suda Ram. Mola Ram.... Mola Ram.... Mola Ram Suda Ram." Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Dogs have more in common with mammals than they have in common with wolves.

#42 Mike Reed

Mike Reed

Brings Forth Plants

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

I know, I know, it is hard to read sarcasim.

I confess I baited you. Sorry.

Wwwhhy I otta.... :P

You got me. ;)

#43 Mola Ram Suda Ram

Mola Ram Suda Ram

Ax Slinger after the order of RR

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

Wwwhhy I otta.... :P

You got me. ;)

I just know how much you like this topic.
"Mola Ram.... Mola Ram.... Mola Ram Suda Ram. Mola Ram.... Mola Ram.... Mola Ram Suda Ram." Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Dogs have more in common with mammals than they have in common with wolves.

#44 Ron Beron

Ron Beron

"The Red Flyer"

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Just received a note, indirectly, from Peter Thonemann at Oxford. He presents a pretty good case that the documents are modern forgeries.

Given the spate of modern forgeries replete in Israel at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if they were fake. I noticed that they had a tenuous provenance and were probably forgeries, but nonetheless it's too bad.

"Truth is enlightenment, and enlightenment is of God. Shedding light on what passes as truth is not only permitted; it is necessary, the highest calling."

Erasmus

#45 cinepro

cinepro

It's pronounced "cinepro"

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,173 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

I wonder if, upon translation, we'll find these lead-plate writing Christians wondering why God had afflicted them with abdominal pain, headaches, and stunted neurological development in their children.
The LDS Stake Medium Council Blog

In spite of the world's arguments against the historicity of the Flood, and despite the supposed lack of geologic evidence, we Latter-day Saints believe that Noah was an actual man, a prophet of God, who preached repentance and raised a voice of warning, built an ark, gathered his family and a host of animals onto the ark, and floated safely away as waters covered the entire earth. We are assured that these events actually occurred by the multiple testimonies of God's prophets.

The Flood and the Tower of Babel, by Donald W. Parry, assistant professor of Hebrew at BYU, Ensign, Jan 1998, 35

#46 zelder

zelder

Seasoned Member: Separates Light & Dark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:27 AM

I wonder if, upon translation, we'll find these lead-plate writing Christians wondering why God had afflicted them with abdominal pain, headaches, and stunted neurological development in their children.

That's great! I love it!

#47 mfbukowski

mfbukowski

Wittgensteinian Pot-Stirrer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,991 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

You forgot the sudden increase in the rate of autism.
"I see Religion as creating a language to speak of the divine and sacred. Since I see creating this language as a creative act, ... creating a certain view of heaven and earth, a living 'image' of God and Man and their story, past, present and future." - Calmoriah

My Blog: Theomorphic Man http://theomorphicman.blogspot.com/

#48 USU78

USU78

Dr. Pepper Addict

• Contributor
  • 12,156 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

Skeptical: Nearly all of the old plumbing in the cities in Europe and the US . . . as welll as other parts of the world . . . has lead piping bringing water into people's houses for bathing, washing, drinking, and cooking purposes. The new EPA regs on lead paint are monumentally stupid: you have to visqueen things off, not reuse stuff you wear removing the lead paint, and secure all dust, paint chips, and working material in a garbage bag that is taped securely.

Then you get to throw the garbage bag into the dumpster.

So it'll go to the land fill.

So it'll decay and enter the ground water.

So it'll end up being drunk by babies in their formula . . . or via breast milk.

USU "really, really skeptical" 78
In the immortal words of? Socrates...I DRANK WHAT???!!!

#49 cinepro

cinepro

It's pronounced "cinepro"

• Contributor
  • 14,173 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

Hi...I'm actor Troy McClure. You might remember me from such educational films as "Lead Paint: Delicious But Deadly" and "Here Comes the Metric System!"

Posted Image

Edited by cinepro, 01 April 2011 - 11:57 AM.

The LDS Stake Medium Council Blog

In spite of the world's arguments against the historicity of the Flood, and despite the supposed lack of geologic evidence, we Latter-day Saints believe that Noah was an actual man, a prophet of God, who preached repentance and raised a voice of warning, built an ark, gathered his family and a host of animals onto the ark, and floated safely away as waters covered the entire earth. We are assured that these events actually occurred by the multiple testimonies of God's prophets.

The Flood and the Tower of Babel, by Donald W. Parry, assistant professor of Hebrew at BYU, Ensign, Jan 1998, 35

#50 mfbukowski

mfbukowski

• Contributor
  • 20,991 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

Skeptical: Nearly all of the old plumbing in the cities in Europe and the US . . . as welll as other parts of the world . . . has lead piping bringing water into people's houses for bathing, washing, drinking, and cooking purposes. The new EPA regs on lead paint are monumentally stupid: you have to visqueen things off, not reuse stuff you wear removing the lead paint, and secure all dust, paint chips, and working material in a garbage bag that is taped securely.

Then you get to throw the garbage bag into the dumpster.

So it'll go to the land fill.

So it'll decay and enter the ground water.

So it'll end up being drunk by babies in their formula . . . or via breast milk.

USU "really, really skeptical" 78

Yeah, but then you go out to the landfill and dig it up and melt it down and make some early Christian lead plates!

With the price of metals these days going up.....

Who says you can't turn lead into gold?
"I see Religion as creating a language to speak of the divine and sacred. Since I see creating this language as a creative act, ... creating a certain view of heaven and earth, a living 'image' of God and Man and their story, past, present and future." - Calmoriah

#51 Bill Hamblin

Bill Hamblin

Exchanging views with people who really love Mormons since 1984

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

New claim: earliest portrait of Jesus found on the Jordan metal plates?

My link

I don't think so:

My link

#52 mfbukowski

mfbukowski

• Contributor
  • 20,991 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

New claim: earliest portrait of Jesus found on the Jordan metal plates?

My link

I don't think so:

My link

I think that's a dead ringer- what is so strange is how indistinct the image on the lead is, it almost seems like the coin is pushed into the lead from the "back" side- in the example you showed on this thread, the rounding of the coin is still visible.

Or more likely if one can find fingerprints, it must have originally been cast from some clay material which would make it easy to simply press a coin into.

It's really hard to figure out how all this eclectic imagery could be connected.

Edited by mfbukowski, 02 April 2011 - 11:17 PM.

#53 rpn

rpn

violets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

News article about the image on one of them as possibly the first picture of Chrsit.

http://www.dailymail...ient-books.html

#54 TAO

TAO

=^..^=

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

Hehe, actually, I think you will find this isn't such a bad thing :P.
...my religion is built on the belief system and I believe that God will always find a way to make things just and fair even though it seems impossible. I accept this axiom without proof because I believe and hope that it must be true and in my heart I know it's true. That' s my testimony... -- Ajax18

As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows, cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human kind. -- Cleveland Armory ... I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. -- Hippolyte Taine

[On what God will say of one's own spiritual valiance]... I'd be content if He could just say to me, "Well, you weren't completely worthless." - Nathair

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users