Seriously No Politics ×

Polygamy as a woman

Del March

I find that in my quest, there is no place safe to ask questions without getting slammed by one side or the other.( Each of course claiming to be right, both often becomming arrogant and snide)

Hey, have I noticed :P

I have many things I would like to talk about, women being denied the Priesthood is one of them, but the threads become derailed, and people are not very nice, and the intent of the post is lost a large majority of the time. The other problem I run into, is I'm either offered the "anti" message, or the FARMS and Fair messages, all of which are biased, and equal in my eyes. It is simply shades of gray, there is no black and white as both sides would have me believe.

I wouldn't mind having an email discussion with you, but I'm afraid there isn't much I can help you with. I have only my faith and a little bit of knowledge to offer. I'm afraid too many of my answers would be a variation on the theme of "I don't know". But if you're interested anyway, let me know.

Del

t2t2,

Sorry for the delay in responding. It's hard to find time to get to these boards. Most of the folks here are obviously faster keyboarders than I am.

You responded to my question about your familiarity with Islam by saying:

As Islamic countries progress this will diminish. Did you know that at one point many, many women thought voting best left up to the man? That in the early days of women suffrage one of the biggest obstacles to overcome wasn't opposition from men...but women? What do we think about those women today? Smart? Naive? Brainwashed? Or were they just a product of all that they had been taught and told was right and correct?

This is why I, in my infinite elitism, suppposed that a poll among westernized states a better judge of what liberated women would think about polygamy. Sure, many in Arab nations would say it's just fine. But I bet many would also answer "yes" to "Do you think it's OK for a husband to beat a disagreeable wife?" - since there are provisions for that in the Koran as well.

I'm talking about women who have grown up with the understanding that they are just as good, smart, capable as men. What would these women say? What do you think?

I was confused by the response. My comments about women and polygamy in Islam were in response to your earlier statement:

The only place on Earth you find a sizable portion of women who think this is fine and dandy is within the ranks of the LDS church.

I argued that you would find a sizable portion of women in Islam who accept polygamy, but now you are qualifying your earlier statement to include only westernized states composed of "liberated women", and indicating that polygamy will diminish as Islamic states "progress" (I would tend to agree, but do you have evidence for this?). So, you are in effect agreeing that your earlier statement was indeed hyperbole?

Although I would have considerable difficulty with polygamy (but then, it really was never intended to be for everyone, was it?), I also feel less than comfortable ascribing to adherents some benighted intelligence or value. It does smack of elitism and that strange sense that there is some absolute standard of anthropological progress which our forebears and foreign cultures failed to attain.

• 4 weeks later...
...I certainly hope that I am not going to spend the eternities in gestation. :P If the Lord created Adam and Eve it seems to me that there is more than one way to skin a cat. I'm banking on that. And if I could get in one more metaphor I would....

Yet, even if you were, it would be painless, done in less time and with virtually no swelling! Spirits don't have much effect on the physical perameters of bodies, and it is implied in scripture that pregnancy as we now know it is a condition of the fall. But, yes, I agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat. <_<

I believe it is a gross mistake to equate today's FLDS practice of polygamy with the early LDS principle of plural marriage.

Why? What's the difference?

I also would like to know the answer to this question.

Archived