Seriously No Politics ×

Ether 15:31

inquiringmind

So again, turning to the closest biblical analogy, the most likely term in this instance suggests that the head was not literally severed from the body (I suspect the same is true with Laban, and that the imagery in 1 Nephi was exaggerated in order to parallel the account of David and Goliath).

Is it possible this account was placed at the end of the Book of Mormon as an inclusio of sorts with the account of Nephi's beheading of Laban?

It seems a contemporary of Lehi used inclusio to good effect:

Particularly noteworthy are the many instances of inclusio in the Book of Jeremiah. A rather far-flung example of inclusio in the Book of Jeremiah can be found in its first section, chapters 1

Is it possible this account was placed at the end of the Book of Mormon as an inclusio of sorts with the account of Nephi's beheading of Laban?

It seems a contemporary of Lehi used inclusio to good effect:

The Book of Mormon similarly begins with the account of a prophet father (Lehi) and righteous son (Nephi) in a time when a nation was destroyed (the Jews by the Babylonians); and ends with the account of a prophet father (Mormon) and righteous son (Moroni) in a time when a nation was destroyed (the Nephites by the Lamanites; two if you count the destruction of the Jaredites!).

Not to mention an account of a sacred record written on metal plates that must be obtained and preserved if a nation is not to dwindle and perish in unbelief.

Just some thoughts.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Excellent thoughts. I like the literary analysis.

I was just reading Ether 15:31.

"And it came to pass that after he had smitten off the head of Shiz, that Shiz raised up on his hands and fell; and after that he struggled for breath, he died."

I've been told that chickens can run after you cut off their heads, but how is this possible?

I don't see how the verse said he ran after being beheaded, only that he raised his hands fell over and struggled for breath, then died.

To me this sounds like the involuntary convulsions that can occur when someone is decapitated or killed by blunt trauma to the head, they are called death tremors but I could be wrong.

Answers are in Green.

In the future try to use the "Quote" function. Posting your messages in this way makes it difficult to reply to.

Yes, but what does a hebrew dialect have to do with Egyptian?

Nothing. It is something that came up in the course of conversation.

Language still equals language. . . .

Not so. Language in that context means learning, it means education. Let

Archived