Seriously No Politics ×

New Calling, New Direction...

kolipoki09

This evening my wife and I were informed that we were going to be released from our joint-calling as Gospel Doctrine instructors, something I've been doing for the greater part of three years in three different wards. Not long ago I voiced concerns that I didn't feel intellectually comfortable continuing as a teacher under the circumstances granted at the time.

Just weeks after I felt the issue was resolved, we were brought in by the Bishop and my wife was given a calling in the Relief Society. As for me, I'll be out of a job starting next month. In many ways, preparing for a bi-weekly Sunday School lesson has been a highlight for me, though I am rationally optimistic about the future.

I've struggled in the past with adjusting to new callings of which I know little to nothing. At one point I was called and never set apart as a Family History consultant. To be frankly honest, I was content with teaching Sunday School for the rest of my life, but realized that dream wasn't going to last.

In the mean time, I'd like to thank several board members who have contributed insights whether knowingly or unknowingly, that have in turn, benefited my Sunday School classes. One thing I've seen somewhat lacking on the board that I'd like to see implemented is a commentary on the upcoming Sunday School lessons. Not only would it better prepare board members who attend or teach Sunday School, but also provide a constructive forum for members to dive into the nuances and complexities of each lesson. Though I realize each stake may be on a different schedule, if we could agree upon a set schedule, it would be great....for me at least.

Is there anyone else okay with a weekly thread on each lesson?

This evening my wife and I were informed that we were going to be released from our joint-calling as Gospel Doctrine instructors, something I've been doing for the greater part of three years in three different wards. Not long ago I voiced concerns that I didn't feel intellectually comfortable continuing as a teacher under the circumstances granted at the time.

Just weeks after I felt the issue was resolved, we were brought in by the Bishop and my wife was given a calling in the Relief Society. As for me, I'll be out of a job starting next month. In many ways, preparing for a bi-weekly Sunday School lesson has been a highlight for me, though I am rationally optimistic about the future.

I've struggled in the past with adjusting to new callings of which I know little to nothing. At one point I was called and never set apart as a Family History consultant. To be frankly honest, I was content with teaching Sunday School for the rest of my life, but realized that dream wasn't going to last.

In the mean time, I'd like to thank several board members who have contributed insights whether knowingly or unknowingly, that have in turn, benefited my Sunday School classes. One thing I've seen somewhat lacking on the board that I'd like to see implemented is a commentary on the upcoming Sunday School lessons. Not only would it better prepare board members who attend or teach Sunday School, but also provide a constructive forum for members to dive into the nuances and complexities of each lesson. Though I realize each stake may be on a different schedule, if we could agree upon a set schedule, it would be great....for me at least.

I like that idea. also to note when I was a sunday school teacher and now that I am in a postion to give callings and assignments I have been asking a few members who I know to be very read with the scriptures to help the teachers keep the lessons moving along with there added insight of knowledge,

All of them have been very happy in this postion since they go the extra mile preparing every answer to every question that may arise in the classes.

I just read your blog and I feel nothing wrong with it just that some ( most ) mormons dont like to be placed in a postion were they feel dumb or lacking.

I tell our teachers that they need to make good on all the lessons they teach and draw a bit more water with every scoop.

The only caution I would give them is when they are teaching is teach in such a way that you are understood in what you say, so no one leaves the class confused.(this is sometimes hard).

In short I liked your post.

... One thing I've seen somewhat lacking on the board that I'd like to see implemented is a commentary on the upcoming Sunday School lessons. Not only would it better prepare board members who attend or teach Sunday School, but also provide a constructive forum for members to dive into the nuances and complexities of each lesson. Though I realize each stake may be on a different schedule, if we could agree upon a set schedule, it would be great....for me at least.

How's about this? :P

How's about this? :P

Jim Faulconer's work on this week's lesson (Lesson 7) was fairly well done, though I ultimately consulted S. Kent Brown's The Testimony of Mark in Millett and Jackson's Studies in Scripture Volume Five: The Gospels. The latter favors an apologetic approach to the Gospels that undoubtedly appeals to my class members more than my personal preferences of textual criticism allow. I felt I "lost" the class a bit today by mentioning that the KJV of Mark 1:2 is missing Mark's direct reference to Isaiah, as exhibited in the Greek. Mark quotes Isaiah 40:3 in Mark 1:3, but Mark 1:2 is quoting Malachi 3:1. Bart Ehrman makes a great deal out of this in Misquoting Jesus, though I didn't mention that to the class.

Overall, I felt like it went well in what will probably be the last week I'll ever teach Sunday School in my ward. Perhaps it is time to move on. In the mean time, I'll enjoy my discussions with each of you here. Thanks for your insights everyone.

Edited by kolipoki09

So why don't you prepare the lesson each week and post it the week before here, so that others can read up and be better prepared for their own lessons? That way you can keep doing what you have been doing and help others interested.

So why don't you prepare the lesson each week and post it the week before here, so that others can read up and be better prepared for their own lessons? That way you can keep doing what you have been doing and help others interested.

I don't know what everyone's Stake schedule is, but ours covers lesson 8 this coming Sunday. How about yours?

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would actually encourage some to read the lesson before Sunday.

I think it would actually encourage some to read the lesson before Sunday.

you mean there are people who dont read the lessons i cant belive that, lol.

I read and study them so i can get as much out of them as possible.