• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#21 smordecai

smordecai

Newbie: Without form, and void

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

My Patriarchal Blessing states that I "...came through the loins of Levi". It took me about 30 years to prove it correct. My 3rd great grandmother was Judith Cohen Belinfante, great granddaughter to Zaddic Cohen Belinfante, Chief Rabbi of Amsterdam. "Cohen" is Hebrew for priest. The Cohenim are the sons of Aaron, hence of Levi. Fortunately, I'm just a Levite and not in line to be Bishop with with or without counselors. And, the tribe of Levi is not lost as the mostly remained with in the southern kingdom of Judah where the Temple was. They were not counted as one of the 12 tribes after given the priesthood. Joseph's son Manasseh took Levi's position.

#22 Robert F. Smith

Robert F. Smith

Places Sun, Moon & Stars In The Sky

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:47 AM

well actually she couldn't be even if she was a man, unless you want us to also believe without a shred of evidence that she was also a descendant of Aaron.

Your story seems fabricated since you didn't even give her the proper lineage to be a bishop by right.

I will stick to what I know so far until the Holy Ghost or compelling factual evidence persuades me otherwise.

Thank you for the comment, but I reject your claim without any evidence.

There are large numbers of known Levites within the Jewish community. Had you clicked on the Wikipedia articles I provided, you might have some concept of what that means. Members of the tribes of Israel have both male and female members. Naturally the females cannot hold priesthood, but the male members of the tribe of Levi are automatically priests of the lowest rank, except for the descendants of Aaron within that tribe, who hold the highest rank -- that of Cohen or Kohen.

Within the tribe of Levi today (and for the past several thousand years) lineage is determined by the father. If the father is a Levite, the male and female children are Levites. If he is a Cohen (a descendant of Aaron) his sons are Cohens. In order for a Cohen to become a bishop in the LDS Church, he would first have to convert to Mormonism. This would alienate him from the Jewish community and probably from his own immediate family.

There are some Jewiish converts to Mormonism, and you should not be surprised that some of them would be Levites. Whether any of them are Cohens is less likely, but certainly possible. I see no reason to doubt the story you were told here of a Levite in someone's LDS congregation. Why would that person lie?

#23 Robert F. Smith

Robert F. Smith

Places Sun, Moon & Stars In The Sky

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:07 AM

I don't disagree that there are Levities around, I do disagree that there are known Levities around. They are lost, if they were known then the Jews would still have ordained priests. They do not have ordained priests because they have no Levities to ordain.

Exactly what I have been saying here is that there are known and provable Levites in the Jewish community. Every Jew knows this and has met Levites. Moreover, every Jew has met blood descendants of Aaron (within the tribe of Levi) who are known as Cohanim or Kohanim (plural). As I said above, they take part in activities in Jewish synagogues and are given primary privileges: they bless the congregation, they perform the rite called "redemption of the firstborn" (pidyon haben), and they are the first to read the Tora. Many of them are rabbis. When the temple in Jerusalem is rebuilt, they will run it.

Priests are not ordained in Judaism. They are born as priests (kohanim), and may so function automatically when they come of age. The only ordinations in Judaism are of rabbis, and that is not a priestly ordination. In Jesus' day, rabbis were not ordained. Jesus himself was a Jewish rabbi.

If any of this sounds absurd to you, please go to your local public library (or college library) and read entries on the matter in the Encyclopedia Judaica. I was once where you are today, completely unaware of these matters. Most Mormons are likewise completely unfamiliar with such issues and answers. So don't feel too badly, but take this opportunity to learn about these strange and wonderful truths. They clarify the revelations of the Restoration of the Gospel in our day.

#24 smordecai

smordecai

Newbie: Without form, and void

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Not any old Levite has the right to be a Bishop, only a direct descendant of Aaron. Among Jews the name Cohen means priest and a genetic marker has been identified that appears in a majority of those with that name. I have ancestors with thew name Cohen but through a maternal line so would no qualify to be a Bishop without counselors. Thank goodness!

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users