31 replies to this topic

#1 nickleus

nickleus

Member: Moves Upon the Waters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:00 AM

Jane was "attached as a Servitor for eternity to the prophet Joseph Smith and in this capacity be connected with his family and be obedient to him in all things in the Lord as a faithful Servitor". (Salt Lake Temple Adoption Record, May 18, 1894, Book A, p. 26)
http://en.wikipedia....h_Manning_James

why is there nothing on fairlds.org about this?

#2 Nathair/|\

Nathair/|\

Barbarian Druid Mage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:41 AM

Hast thou inquired of the lords of Fair?
"Myth" doesn't mean "untrue story," it means "story about
the things that really matter."--John Michael Greer

My LDS Druid blog My poetry The old gods are stirring, Time traces a spiral.

#3 Anijen

Anijen

My head really hurts

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:43 AM

Jane was "attached as a Servitor for eternity to the prophet Joseph Smith and in this capacity be connected with his family and be obedient to him in all things in the Lord as a faithful Servitor". (Salt Lake Temple Adoption Record, May 18, 1894, Book A, p. 26)

Wikipedia is not the most reliable source when anyone can edit in what they want. Recovering from Mormonism sounds like a web site that is not going to be objective. this happened in 1902.

Joseph Smith wrote 1836: Joseph Smith Slavery Editorial
In the April issue of the Messenger and Advocate, Joseph Smith writes that the methods of the abolitionists are not helping the cause of the slaves.

1842: Joseph Smith Writes in His Personal Journal that Slaves Should be Set Free
He writes that the slaves owned by Mormons should be brought “into a free country and set …free– Educate them and give them equal rights.” [30 Dec. 1842 Joseph Smith Journal as quoted in Neither White Nor Black, Bush and Mauss (Signature Books, 1984), p. 62]

if Jane Manning was sealed as a eternal servitor it was not by Joseph however from the writings of Jane herself she loved Joseph and his family.

Edited by Anijen, 07 February 2011 - 07:54 AM.

Never mistake my kindness for weakness, my good nature for gullibility, or my smile for ignorance. 

#4 phaedrus ut

phaedrus ut

Separates Lights & Darks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:32 AM

From Black and Mormon By Newell G. Bringhurst, Darron T. Smith

In 1894 Jane met with Wodruff and rasied the issue of obtaining her endowments. He praised Jan for her faithfulness but denied her request, saying: "I would not do it as it was against the Law of God... and that the seed of Cain would have to wait for redemption until all the seed that Abel would hav had that would come through other men can be redeemed." Undaunted by the rejection of her requests, Jane persisted and was not pacified when LDS leaders authorized her adoption into the Joseph Smith family as a servant in a special ceremony in 1902.

Phaedrus

#5 BookofMormonLuvr

BookofMormonLuvr

Zion Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

Her "sealing" to Joseph and family as an "eternal servant" decades after Joseph will martyred was quite a departure from the teachings of Joseph Smith, wasn't it? I hope the LDS Church will make some effort to rectify this unfortunate circumstance.

Edited by BookofMormonLuvr, 07 February 2011 - 09:38 AM.

"I would rather go to church in an outhouse and hear the fullness of the Gospel, then go to church in a beautiful building and not hear it." - My Wife

The hand of the Lord is moving amoung His people, please visit: http://www.facebook....nBridgeBuilders

#6 nickleus

nickleus

Member: Moves Upon the Waters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

Wikipedia is not the most reliable source when anyone can edit in what they want. Recovering from Mormonism sounds like a web site that is not going to be objective. this happened in 1902.

In the April issue of the Messenger and Advocate, Joseph Smith writes that the methods of the abolitionists are not helping the cause of the slaves.

1842: Joseph Smith Writes in His Personal Journal that Slaves Should be Set Free
He writes that the slaves owned by Mormons should be brought “into a free country and set …free– Educate them and give them equal rights.” [30 Dec. 1842 Joseph Smith Journal as quoted in Neither White Nor Black, Bush and Mauss (Signature Books, 1984), p. 62]

if Jane Manning was sealed as a eternal servitor it was not by Joseph however from the writings of Jane herself she loved Joseph and his family.

if you actually read the source, it wasnt joseph smith who authorized the servant sealing.

Edited by nickleus, 07 February 2011 - 09:48 AM.

#7 Jaybear

Jaybear

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

Do you have a link to these? Considering that Smith grew up in New York, it doesn't surprise me. But I would like to see the reasons he articulated for his position.

Also were there any people sealed to Smith "as a faithful Servitor" and were any of them white?

#8 Deborah

Deborah

Dark Chocolate Darling

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

There are articles at LDS.org, such as this one:

Jane Manning

or articles like this on blacklds.org

Jane Manning

Although I'm not sure what it is you are looking for or why.
Judges 4:4 And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

#9 phaedrus ut

phaedrus ut

Separates Lights & Darks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

if you actually read the source, it wasnt joseph smith who authorized the servant sealing.

It was the First Presidency that authorized her sealing to Joseph as a servant. Joseph F. Smith, who was Second Counselor in the First Presidency at the time, acted as proxy for his uncle Joseph Smith in the ceremony.

Phaedrus

#10 phaedrus ut

phaedrus ut

Separates Lights & Darks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

Her "sealing" to Joseph and family as an "eternal servant" decades after Joseph will martyred was quite a departure from the teachings of Joseph Smith, wasn't it? I hope the LDS Church will make some effort to rectify this unfortunate circumstance.

Slavery, just like polygamy, was an accepted biblical practice and can be practiced if specifically authorized. Since this sealing was done under the supervision of President Woodruff and the First Presidency it might be better seen as a restoration of an biblical practice.

Phaedrus

#11 Gohan

Gohan

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

Slavery, just like polygamy, was an accepted biblical practice and can be practiced if specifically authorized.

I'd be kinda careful saying that. It occurrence in the Bible was under different circumstances, I don't know if the Lord would 'authorize' it in that same particular way again.

It doesn't sound like Jane Manning was too happy with it either, considering that she was supposed to be sealed to them as a child? Wasn't that it?

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh crap...he's awake!"

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.(John 21:25)

"We're wandering around as strangers looking for things to recognize, and whenever you see something which you know is good, true, and beautiful, that's an act of recognition. And you recognize it as such not by analyzing it, but it comes to your memory, it hits you, 'I've seen that, I know that's right' and so forth." ~ Hugh Nibley

#12 Deborah

Deborah

Dark Chocolate Darling

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Joseph and Emma tried to get Jane to agree to be sealed to them as a child. She didn't understand what that meant at the time and refused. Whether she was sealed in some form or another at a later time is still just an issue of sealing in my mind. No doubt Jane with her great faith will receive all the blessings of the endowment and sealing if she hasn't already.
Judges 4:4 And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

#13 calmoriah

calmoriah

Dulce de labris loquuntur, corde vivunt noxio.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,888 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

Many of those at fairlds.org also worked with or on blacklds.org which does mention it (see the timeline for one) so it is possible in my view that they just forgot to include it on FAIR as well. There are a couple of talks that come close to mentioning it (talk about Jane's efforts toward the temple) and I know personally there is no reluctance to discuss it as a group as this has happened several times.

Like any extremely large project done by volunteers, I suspect this is just something that fell through the cracks.

I would recommend contacting FAIR and it is likely to be corrected as soon as someone who works on the wiki in that area has some free time. (A lot of us FAIRsters have not gotten over being shy of the wiki technology, me for one or I would do it myself).
When you climb up a ladder, you...begin at the bottom...ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top...so it is with the principles of the Gospel--you must begin with the first...go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world. Joseph Smith
UMW forever!

#14 BookofMormonLuvr

BookofMormonLuvr

Zion Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

Slavery, just like polygamy, was an accepted biblical practice and can be practiced if specifically authorized. Since this sealing was done under the supervision of President Woodruff and the First Presidency it might be better seen as a restoration of an biblical practice.

Phaedrus

So you believe there is slavery in the Celestial Kingdom? I'm sorry, but it is hard for me to picture plantations in the realms of glory.
"I would rather go to church in an outhouse and hear the fullness of the Gospel, then go to church in a beautiful building and not hear it." - My Wife

The hand of the Lord is moving amoung His people, please visit: http://www.facebook....nBridgeBuilders

#15 Zakuska

Zakuska

Captain Zinger to the Rescue

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,236 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

So you believe there is slavery in the Celestial Kingdom? I'm sorry, but it is hard for me to picture plantations in the realms of glory.

Psalm 84
10 For a day in thy courts is better than aa thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

There sure are tent cities.
"Works are necessary for salvation but they do not cause salvation; for faith alone gives life.” -- Martin Luther
"Thus, it is just as impossible to separate faith and works as it is to separate heat and light from fire!" -- Martin Luther

#16 BookofMormonLuvr

BookofMormonLuvr

Zion Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

Psalm 84
10 For a day in thy courts is better than aa thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

Just when I thought LDS ideas on eternity couldn't get any stranger, a zinger comes along.

I think the Psalmist is employing some hyperbole here.

Edited by BookofMormonLuvr, 07 February 2011 - 04:24 PM.

#17 calmoriah

calmoriah

• Contributor
  • 40,888 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

Psalm 84

Don't forget the smilies, Zak.:P
When you climb up a ladder, you...begin at the bottom...ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top...so it is with the principles of the Gospel--you must begin with the first...go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world. Joseph Smith
UMW forever!

#18 calmoriah

calmoriah

• Contributor
  • 40,888 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

P ut is not LDS, at least not a believer, can't remember if ever a believer or just on the rolls or nevermo.

Edited by calmoriah, 07 February 2011 - 04:38 PM.

UMW forever!

#19 phaedrus ut

phaedrus ut

Separates Lights & Darks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

P ut is not LDS, at least not a believer, can't remember if ever a believer or just on the rolls or nevermo.

Believe it or not Phaedrus is actually LDS. He is still a member and a Elder. He even mentioned the other day that his sons are a Deacon and a Priest.

Phaedrus

//I don't know why I wrote this in the third person. It started that way so I went with it.

#20 calmoriah

calmoriah

• Contributor
  • 40,888 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Believe it or not Phaedrus is actually LDS. He is still a member and a Elder. He even mentioned the other day that his sons are a Deacon and a Priest.

But do you actually believe the major doctrines and follow the practices not for appearance sake, but because you believe that Christ is leading the Church, etc.

I have a family member who is a member, a HP, one son just returned from a mission and to all appearances on the surface is an active, believing Saint.

He doesn't even believe in God and thinks Joseph Smith is a con man and those of us who are believers are dupes.

Your comments are almost identical to his.

Edited by calmoriah, 07 February 2011 - 05:31 PM.

UMW forever!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users