Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vex

Christ's words on Deification

While responding to evangilst in another thread this connection came to mind and I would like to explore individuals understanding on this scripture. Namely; Jewish understanding of the Father-Son relationship, as well as further usage throughout the New Testament.

John 5:18-19 reads:

Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Now the question I present is rather simple; from my understanding of this scripture we see the Jews equating God the Father with Christ yet disparaging combining the two (ie: God is separate entity than Christ, but made equal through the relationship as Father-Son).

Does this mean that the relationship of Father-Son is presented as equivalent with God wherever they are mentioned? IE: The Sons of God would result in the understanding of the time as saying they (the Sons) are equivalent with God? Furthermore does this relationship still hold in a Parent-Child relationship, for instance Father-Child, or does sex play a role in this relationship?

(For clarification; I'm looking for Jewish understanding whether it be law, practice, or culture. I'm further also looking for Greek and Aramaic understanding on the subject as well.)

No takers? Is this not a good question to ask?