Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
negragardenia

Prophets... seeing God face to face

16 posts in this topic

Hello! How's everyone doing?

A person has asked me ... how many lds prophets have seen god face to face..? I really just thought of one .. Joseph Smith.

Are there any others that have mentioned this fact. I see a thread similar to this one where the grandaughter states de Lorenzo Snow had seen him face to face.

Second... do we teach that prophets can see god face to face? I mean this like for the training of the missionaries or any doctrine books... as far as I understand it could be a posibility.. but is just another way of how to have revelation.

Thanks...!

Any material to study let me know please.

In terms of Heavenly Father? Yeah, Joseph's the only one I can think of for seeing Him. In terms of the Savior? To answer that in an extremely roundabout way, I'll give you this quote from President Packer quite a few years ago.

The bolding is mine...

In Doctrine and Covenants 107:23 we read,

Edited by Gohan

There's a story about Lorenzo Snow seeing Christ in this thread.

Moses did.

Exodus 33:11 And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.

See here(and the linked item therein on Brigham Young, which has some similar information). I ran across a letter from Heber J. Grant, when he was Church President in which he stated: "I know of no instance where the Lord has appeared to an individual since His appearance to the Prophet Joseph Smith."

Moses did.

Exodus 33:11 And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.

Also Abraham spoke face to face with God , and een eat with Him. which I think that God put on His Jesus fleah suit over His spirit to come talk with Abraham and walk on earth!

one love

Also Abraham spoke face to face with God , and een eat with Him. which I think that God put on His Jesus fleah suit over His spirit to come talk with Abraham and walk on earth!

one love

Um.... please excue me being a dunce but wasn't the whole point of the Encarnation "God became flesh and dwelt among us". How in the world could God have a "flesh suit" to walk around with Abraham if the encarnation hadn't ever happened yet?

Unless.... the Father does have a body of flesh and bones?!

Well, what do you make of the testimony Elder McConkie bore in his last General Conference talk?

And now, as pertaining to this perfect atonement, wrought by the shedding of the blood of God

Here are some more instances where men have seen God face to face and lived.

Judges 13

1 And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord delivered them into the hand of the Philistines forty years.

See here(and the linked item therein on Brigham Young, which has some similar information). I ran across a letter from Heber J. Grant, when he was Church President in which he stated: "I know of no instance where the Lord has appeared to an individual since His appearance to the Prophet Joseph Smith."

I am wondering if Pres. Grant meant God the Father and not the Son? I know Elder George F. Richards of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles saw Christ and mentioned it in two of his conference addresses, as did Elder David B. Haight in one of his conference addreses from either '88 or '89.

I am wondering if Pres. Grant meant God the Father and not the Son? I know Elder George F. Richards of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles saw Christ and mentioned it in two of his conference addresses, as did Elder David B. Haight in one of his conference addreses from either '88 or '89.

I think you're right. I suspect all the Apostles have seen the Savior, but I don't see why they would need to see the Father.

This is an interesting question, and especially odd to me that general authorities will not answer the question directly, with only statements as to how sacred such an experience would be. As I read the scriptures I have noted that almost every prophet called of God seems to have some direct contact with Christ, which seems to always be followed with giving their testimony of this interaction and relaying His messages as "Thus sayeth the Lord..." Why appear to a prophet of the Lord and not have that prophet declare so for benefit and testimony of those whom they preach to?

Also Abraham spoke face to face with God , a.nd een eat with Him.

This is a great (and grave) admission. Most "Evangelicals" discount Joseph Smith's vision as bogus because "no man hath seen God at any time", even though the Bible (contradicting itself on this point, too) clearly shows many men (e.g., Abraham and Moses) have, indeed, seen Him.

which I think that God put on His Jesus fleah [sic, flesh(?)] suit over His spirit to come talk with Abraham and walk on earth!

This is incomprehensible. There is no "Jesus flesh suit". Either Jesus was resurrected and has His body, as He demonstrated, or He was not, and "we are of all men most miserable."

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

The Father and the Son appeared to the School of the Prophets according to testimony given by some of it's members. I believe many, if not all, Presidents of the Church and members of the Twelve were part of that school.

I can't say whether they all saw it though. I know a number of them were also on missions in similiar time periods. Might be something interesting to check on sometime.

I think you're right. I suspect all the Apostles have seen the Savior, but I don't see why they would need to see the Father.

All they need to do is take a picture and then we could all see the face of the Savior. What would be wrong with that?

All they need to do is take a picture and then we could all see the face of the Savior. What would be wrong with that?

The camera would melt?