Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baddonkey

Sanctification in Exodus 19

14 And Moses went down from the mount unto the people, and sanctified the people; and they washed their clothes.

15 And he said unto the people, Be ready against the third day: come not at your wives.

16 And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.

17 And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount.

In this passage from Exodus chap 19, I noticed the instruction to "come not at your wives". It seemed to me to conflict with the idea that "neither is the man without the woman nor the woman without the man in the Lord", and suggests that there is something inherently unholy about women or marital intimacy. Could someone help me understand this?

As little as i know about this passage, it seems to be speaking about impurity from sexual union.

In this passage from Exodus chap 19, I noticed the instruction to "come not at your wives". It seemed to me to conflict with the idea that "neither is the man without the woman nor the woman without the man in the Lord", and suggests that there is something inherently unholy about women or marital intimacy. Could someone help me understand this?

The Israelites believed that sexual intercourse rendered one impure--most bodily emissions did--and you couldn't enter the temple until you had been purified. So refraining from sexual intercourse before entering sacred space was insuring that you would be in a state of ritual purity to enter the presence of the Lord.

And this very well may be one of those biblical "translation" issues?:P

And this very well may be one of those biblical "translation" issues?:P

So you think there was a mistranslation? Which words?

So you think there was a mistranslation? Which words?

i dont really know if it was or not; but maybe it could be? are you familiar with the complete history of biblical cannon and how it is given to us today? when we understand the science, {doesnt even require spiritual confirmation} we can see very clearly, its more than obvious many things were misstranslated, deleted,added,changed, some on simple correalation of language differances, some by corrupt scholars, some by accident....and so on :P