Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frankenstein

what do these verse mean

Two verses from the Bible has always confused me, and even if using different translations one gets seeming different meanings.

The first is Matthew 5:25

KJV: Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

Several translations state along the lines "agree with thine adversary in court"

Conservative Bible translation: "Be on good terms with your adversary quickly, while you are with him on the road; otherwise he might sometime deliver you to the judge, who will deliver you to the bailiff, and you find yourself thrown into prison"

I do not think it means that Jesus meant that we agree with critics, proponents of immorality, or other things which the LDS believe violate Gods commands; so what do we make of Matthew 5:25?

The other verse is Luke 16:9

KJV: And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

Gods Word Translation: "When life is over, you will be welcomed into an eternal home

Conservative Bible translation: And I say to you, be wise in using material things to help those around you; so that, when the material no longer matters, you are received into Heaven.

So what do we make of Luke 16:9, is the eternal home one is received into Heaven or is it being sheltered by the mammon of unrighteousness.

My use of the Conservative Bible is only for a 3rd translation and nothing else.

From Palerider

Matt.25: 5

On a more temporal or pecuniary level the Savior is telling us to avoid going to court with our adversaries. To "agree" or "come to terms or a settlement" quickly while we are in the way with them will help us to avoid the cost and expense of court or being delivered to the judge and possibly debtor's prison as well.

On a more spiritual level He is also telling us to quickly "come to terms" with the effects of sin and it's Proponent who is our ultimate adversary, by avoiding any legal entanglements with him (Satan), and having to pay the heavy price for such errors.

Luke 16: 19

To "make friends of the mammon of unrighteousness" is to use the creative forsight that even those of the world (Mammon) use when preparing for the time when they will fail. It is not to adopt an immoral plan of robbing one's master, but rather having the ability to look beyond the time we have here upon this earth to a time when God will make us accountable for our actions and at that time, because we have used forsight (and not lived for the day) we will be welcomed into the "eternal habitations" that are our just reward for preparing for that day, by having faith in Christ, loving God and keeping his commandments.

--------------------

thank you for the thoughtful response.

I take a principle we can take from Luke 16:9 to be "Don't be blissfully ignorant. Even though you are supposedly in the world and not of it, you better be on good terms with those who are of the world in the world with you (and have a knowledge of the workings of the worldly ways of doing business) , 'cause it may just save your butt. In more ways than one."

From Palerider

Matt.25: 5

On a more temporal or pecuniary level the Savior is telling us to avoid going to court with our adversaries. To "agree" or "come to terms or a settlement" quickly while we are in the way with them will help us to avoid the cost and expense of court or being delivered to the judge and possibly debtor's prison as well.

On a more spiritual level He is also telling us to quickly "come to terms" with the effects of sin and it's Proponent who is our ultimate adversary, by avoiding any legal entanglements with him (Satan), and having to pay the heavy price for such errors.

Luke 16: 19

To "make friends of the mammon of unrighteousness" is to use the creative forsight that even those of the world (Mammon) use when preparing for the time when they will fail. It is not to adopt an immoral plan of robbing one's master, but rather having the ability to look beyond the time we have here upon this earth to a time when God will make us accountable for our actions and at that time, because we have used forsight (and not lived for the day) we will be welcomed into the "eternal habitations" that are our just reward for preparing for that day, by having faith in Christ, loving God and keeping his commandments.

--------------------

thank you for the thoughtful response.

hes also telling us symbolicly that we canott enter into his presence while anger or judgement is in our hearts.:P

It should be "What do these verses mean?"

Although I'm not sure why it was closed in the first place, why did you re-open a closed topic?

palerider,

from your take on Luke 16, then, the "eternal habitations" is referring to our habitation after our mortal life. Who do you think "they" are in that verse?

In thinking about Luke 16:9 and it applying to Heaven, I thought, of "Love thy Neighbor" or "Least of these" in essence if you be good and honest with all and your reward is eternal habitation in Heaven.

palerider,

from your take on Luke 16, then, the "eternal habitations" is referring to our habitation after our mortal life. Who do you think "they" are in that verse?

In thinking about Luke 16:9 and it applying to Heaven, I thought, of "Love thy Neighbor" or "Least of these" in essence if you be good and honest with all and your reward is eternal habitation in Heaven.

If the allegory holds that we have made "friends" with Mammon (the "eternal habitations" and those who dwell there) then I would posit that "they" represents the Savior and all others who recieve that inheritance.

John 15: 14-15

14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

KJV: Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

My thought is that it means, 'when you are in the way with your adversary' (when you and your adversary are disagreeing), 'agree with him quickly' (try to agree with him wherever possible without losing your values, do not reject things that do not need to be rejected), lest he 'deliver thee to the judge... to the officer... thou cast in prison' (lest he makes you deal with consequences for disagreeing).

That's sorta what I think about it.

KJV: And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

Basically, it means, get to know others not of your 'lifestyle', and learn to be friends and trust them to the degree you can, so when you fail to be righteous, they will not criticize you for it.

If you read verse 10 and 11, it talks also about how being friends with those not of your 'lifestyle' will eventually help you be better friends to those of your lifestyle (you take the good out of the other friendship and bring it into the righteous one), so long as you do not change your moral values.

Again, I could be wrong though.

I'm only going to respond to the Matthew 5:25 (Inspired Version 5:27) as I'm tired. After reading several previous verses, I think I gained an interesting & simple perspective.

First, the previous verse speaks of us needing to go to a brother who has 'aught' against US previous to our hands being clean to make our offering at the alter to God. WE were the offender or wronged our brother.

I think verse 25 may still be talking about 'reconciling' or agreeing with our adversary (brother) quickly. If we make right the wrong we have done to our brother (doesn't have to be a believer), then he won't be likely to take us before a judge where we will be sentenced for our crime.