Seriously No Politics ×

Did Jesus instruct lieing or serving two masters.

frankenstein

Two verses from the Bible has always confused me, and even if using different translations one gets seeming different meanings.

The first is Matthew 5:25

Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

Several translations state along the lines "agree with thine adversary in court"

this is the Conservative Bible translation

"Be on good terms with your adversary quickly, while you are with him on the road; otherwise he might sometime deliver you to the judge, who will deliver you to the bailiff, and you find yourself thrown into prison"

It does not makes sense that Jesus meant that we agree with critics, proponents of immorality, or other things which the LDS believe violate Gods commands; so what do we make of Matthew 5:25?

The other verse is Luke 16:9

And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

One translation in part states "When life is over, you will be welcomed into an eternal home

Conservative Bible translation: And I say to you, be wise in using material things to help those around you; so that, when the material no longer matters, you are received into Heaven.

So what do we make of Luke 16:9, is the eternal home one is received into Heaven or is it being sheltered by the mammon of unrighteousness.

Two verses from the Bible has always confused me, and even if using different translations one gets seeming different meanings.

The first is Matthew 5:25

Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

Several translations state along the lines "agree with thine adversary in court"

this is the Conservative Bible translation

"Be on good terms with your adversary quickly, while you are with him on the road; otherwise he might sometime deliver you to the judge, who will deliver you to the bailiff, and you find yourself thrown into prison"

It does not makes sense that Jesus meant that we agree with critics, proponents of immorality, or other things which the LDS believe violate Gods commands; so what do we make of Matthew 5:25?

The other verse is Luke 16:9

And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

One translation in part states "When life is over, you will be welcomed into an eternal home

Conservative Bible translation: And I say to you, be wise in using material things to help those around you; so that, when the material no longer matters, you are received into Heaven.

So what do we make of Luke 16:9, is the eternal home one is received into Heaven or is it being sheltered by the mammon of unrighteousness.

Matt.25: 5

On a more temporal or pecuniary level the Savior is telling us to avoid going to court with our adversaries. To "agree" or "come to terms or a settlement" quickly while we are in the way with them will help us to avoid the cost and expense of court or being delivered to the judge and possibly debtor's prison as well.

On a more spiritual level He is also telling us to quickly "come to terms" with the effects of sin and it's Proponent who is our ultimate adversary, by avoiding any legal entanglements with him (Satan), and having to pay the heavy price for such errors.

Luke 16: 19

To "make friends of the mammon of unrighteousness" is to use the creative forsight that even those of the world (Mammon) use when preparing for the time when they will fail. It is not to adopt an immoral plan of robbing one's master, but rather having the ability to look beyond the time we have here upon this earth to a time when God will make us accountable for our actions and at that time, because we have used forsight (and not lived for the day) we will be welcomed into the "eternal habitations" that are our just reward for preparing for that day, by having faith in Christ, loving God and keeping his commandments.

Archived