Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NauvooSaint

Community of Christ vs. Restoration Branches

I find all this really sad! Shortly after joining the LDS church I found out a guy I worked with was RLDS. He gave me a book which saught to show why they considered themselves the "ligitiment only true church"! While I thought it was interesting, it didn't persuade me. While I didn't accept their position as being valid, I did respect them as a church, and I understood that they truly felt that they, not us , were the "true Church" as originaly restored by the Prophet Joesph Smith.

But then I began hearing things about changes that their leadership was making) no longer having decendent of JS at the helm) ordaining women to the priesthood) even questioning the validity of the BOM! I thought that the RLDS people were being striped of everything that they could legitimently claim to validate their position as a Restoration of the True Church! And so they have!

And now they have even changed their name! IMO the CofC church as it now stands is just the empty shell of what was the RLDS church and I don't understand why they even bother to say that their church is related to the church that was restored by JS!

I guess as an outsider, but yet a believer in the Gospel as restored by the Prophet Joesph Smith, perhaps my observations might not be appreciated by those in the CofC, but I do sympethize whith those who've been betrayed by their leaders!

Mike

That is probably correct.

It reminds me of the Union Army taking possession of Confederate States

property, and then disposing of it during Reconstruction, as the proper

holder to the legal titles.

But I really do not much care about what goes on in the court of Caesar --

I'm more concerned with what Reorganized Latter Day Saints will become

in the near future, no matter what they are called.

I'd settle for "the poor," or "the way," or even "Israel."

God knows His own and will not abandon them.

UD

Then it seems the question becomes who are God's own?

The LDS are fortunate their leadership is conservative.

I think fortune had nothing to do with it. "Blessed" would be a better word.

I think fortune had nothing to do with it. "Blessed" would be a better word.

HA! Good eye Jason. I was careful in my choice of word so as to not imply God's help.

There should be a decision in the lawsuit soon.

There's more information about events the led up to the lawsuit. Some individuals involved with the group JCRB (Joint Conference of Restoration Branches) did some bold moves to force the hand of the Community of Christ. It should be remembered the JCRB represents a small percentage of branches that are trying to reorganize a church & have taken actions that most Restoration Branches don't support. An RLDS Restorationist from another branch in Independence wrote a 36 page paper entitled, "SOME LITTLE KNOWN FACTS ABOUT THE RECENT LAWSUIT CONTROVERSY"

"[Disclaimer: The following information is a chronological presentation taken from various meeting minutes, email, and other correspondence. It reflects ideas and discussions pertaining to negotiations over utilizing the RLDS name and legal strategies for obtaining the same. Obviously, meeting minutes are only intended to be a representation of the dialogue and highlight the main points of discussion, agenda items, motions, etc

Vex,

I'll start a new thread dealing with the topic.

Have I missed the topic/thread? I don't see it.

Vex,