57 replies to this topic

#1 PacMan

PacMan

Brings Forth Plants

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:03 AM

There has been this notion regarding Tent Cities that seems to crop up every now and then. It generally finds its way into the belief system of LDS zealots...you know, the type that think they get revelation that otherwise contradicts the order of heaven, etc. I looked into it several years ago, and was astounded at how far believers will go to adulterate the scriptures in order to fit their proverbial square pegs in round holes. I have since been unable to understand how people can believe: 1) That it is scriptural; 2) That it's a good idea; 3) That they have some privilege to know that these things are coming when the leadership of the church are apparently so completely ignorant of it.

I'm hoping that someone will want to come and try and to articulate what, I believe, is a blatant false doctrine.

PacMan
© 2010 - The man behind the mouth.

"All I ask of you is one thing: Please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." --Conan O'Brien

#2 bluebell

bluebell

Declares a Day of Rest

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

Where do the ideas of tent cities come from? What scriptures or prophecies are people using to justify the belief?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

UMW always and forever.

#3 Deborah

Deborah

Dark Chocolate Darling

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,855 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

My nephew believes this and he bases it on some prophetic vision he read probably in JOD. He de-friended me on FB because I kept contradicting him and told him he needed to heed the living prophets as all prophecy is conditional and what applied at one time may not apply today.

I think we need to just do what we have been told and get ourselves prepared spiritually and temporally and make sure we are listening to God's living mouthpiece and are in tune for our personal revelation and otherwise why be overly concerned about such things. Even if such things do happen what good does it do to focus on them now as long as we are doing what we are supposed to be doing.
Judges 4:4 And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

#4 jadams_4242

jadams_4242

Places Sun, Moon & Stars In The Sky

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

My nephew believes this and he bases it on some prophetic vision he read probably in JOD. He de-friended me on FB because I kept contradicting him and told him he needed to heed the living prophets as all prophecy is conditional and what applied at one time may not apply today.

I think we need to just do what we have been told and get ourselves prepared spiritually and temporally and make sure we are listening to God's living mouthpiece and are in tune for our personal revelation and otherwise why be overly concerned about such things. Even if such things do happen what good does it do to focus on them now as long as we are doing what we are supposed to be doing.

:P

#5 ElfLord

ElfLord

Seasoned Member: Separates Light & Dark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:05 PM

1 Nephi 2:15
And my father dwelt in a tent.

And of course we know Abraham did too.

I've seen people morphined up at the hospital - never did they tell me they had visited hell. And I worked there a while.

You worked in hell for a while? What was it like? Was the pay good?

#6 ebeddoulos

ebeddoulos

A gentle man and a gentleman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

Posted Image

Huh? I thought I had heard of everything but this is new to me. Will someone be so kind as to explain the significance of tent cities?

Where offence is not intended, none should be taken

Posted Image

American by Birth, Christian by Choice, Latter-day Saint by the Grace of ChristTM

#7 ElfLord

ElfLord

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

Heres some info:

“TENT CITIES IN THE LAST DAYS ?”

By Roger K. Young

And they shall be gathered into the garners, that they
are
not wasted.
Yea, they shall not be beaten down by the storm at the
last
day; yea, neither shall they be harrowed up by the
whirlwinds;
but when the storm cometh they shall be gathered together
in
their place, that the storm cannot penetrate to them;
yea,
neither shall they be driven with fierce winds whithersoever
the
enemy listeth to carry them.
But behold, they are in the hands of the Lord of the
harvest,
and they are his; and he will raise them up at the last
day.
Blessed be the name of the our God; let us sing to his
praise, yea, let us give thanks to his holy name, for he
doth
work righteousness forever.

Alma 26: 5-8

http://www.abysmal.c...tent_cities.pdf

Also:
'Tent cities' of homeless on the rise across the US

Edited by ElfLord, 30 December 2010 - 12:24 PM.

I've seen people morphined up at the hospital - never did they tell me they had visited hell. And I worked there a while.

You worked in hell for a while? What was it like? Was the pay good?

#8 Marmonboy

Marmonboy

The good, the bad, and especially the ugly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

Orson Scott Card writes in his short story collection "Folk of the Fringe" of changes to the natural environment (essentially the refilling of Lake Bonneville) forcing the relocation of the population along the Wasatch Front to the deserts of southern Utah.

But, of course, he is a science fiction writer.

Edited by Marmonboy, 30 December 2010 - 12:26 PM.

Job 21:3-- Suffer me that I may speak, and after that I have spoken, mock on.

I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on my knife.

#9 Rob Osborn

Rob Osborn

Places Sun, Moon & Stars In The Sky

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

I have a few neighbors who believe in these tent cities. They are overzealous in their beliefs. They often think these particular interests-

1.Having a years supply of food ready that they will share with no one and that they must protect that storage with guns and ammunition.

2.Are Ezra Taft Benson communist conspiracy followers

3.Believe that only a few select group- those who have supplies ready to live in tent cities for a year, will be invited.

4.Believes the church is secretly building "girls camps" in the mountains as a cover and that the real purpose is for the tent cities when the communists/ UN takes over.

5.Believes that when the government fails they will come out of the mountains and rescue the constitution.

6.Believes that when they do go to live in the tent cities that temples accross America will shut down and stop all operations.

7. Believes in all conspiracy theories including that 9/11 was a government job and that Bush knew it.

These are just some of the observations I have made. I honestly believe that if this group is not careful they will be led off into apostacy.

#10 zelder

zelder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

First off, tent cities is not docrine and I think Rodger K Young would be the first to admit it. Rodger K Young has always advocated following the prophet.

When I was once at a priesthood training meeting with the stake presidency, they told a story about a man who had a revelation in the 70's that the negros would recieve the priesthood so he started giving them the priesthood. We were taught that there may have been nothing wrong with his revelation but he did evil in going against the order of things. The proper thing to do of course would have been to sit tight and wait for the first presidency to give the go ahead. Therefore, It does not matter if someone gets a revelation about something that the church might do as long as they wait for the prophet to make the call. "Follow the prophet" is a command that is very vague yet simple.

I'm very open minded abou the tent city stuff. The theory that the girls camps are a front for future preparations to live in the mountains is an interesting proposal to me. The church has in recent years acquired a lot of land in the mountains and most of it is not being used yet. Buying land for girls camps does not make any sense to me. They have spent so much on it. Why not just let the girls camp in public camp grounds like the boys have been doing for decades? Based on the prophecies in the scriptures, I believe that great and terrible tribulations are comming, war everywhere, perhaps mob rule. I think its very plausible that the saints might need to gather to places a safety if mob rule ever takes over. Maybe I'm wrong IDK but that what I think and there is nothing wrong with thinking that its possible.

I see no problem with people believing in tent cities. Sure its not doctrine and the first presidency is not talking about it....so what? I believe in following the prophet and so do you and thats all that matters. I will add that you might be sorry if you didn't follow the prophet and get prepared for tribulations with food storage and every needful thing.

Edited by zelder, 30 December 2010 - 01:07 PM.

#11 Marmonboy

Marmonboy

The good, the bad, and especially the ugly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

Are we all going to fit in a Girl's Camp? Who gets the cabins?

(I call dibs.)
Job 21:3-- Suffer me that I may speak, and after that I have spoken, mock on.

I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on my knife.

#12 zelder

zelder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

I have a few neighbors who believe in these tent cities. They are overzealous in their beliefs. They often think these particular interests-

1.Having a years supply of food ready that they will share with no one and that they must protect that storage with guns and ammunition.

2.Are Ezra Taft Benson communist conspiracy followers

3.Believe that only a few select group- those who have supplies ready to live in tent cities for a year, will be invited.

4.Believes the church is secretly building "girls camps" in the mountains as a cover and that the real purpose is for the tent cities when the communists/ UN takes over.

5.Believes that when the government fails they will come out of the mountains and rescue the constitution.

6.Believes that when they do go to live in the tent cities that temples accross America will shut down and stop all operations.

7. Believes in all conspiracy theories including that 9/11 was a government job and that Bush knew it.

These are just some of the observations I have made. I honestly believe that if this group is not careful they will be led off into apostacy.

chiillax Rob

1) Tent city people believe they will be sharing food storage with everyone at the places of safety.
2) Ezra Taft Benson was the prophet and had some good things to say and Monson is the current prophet and he is who we follow today (he did mention that despots are grasping for power in a recent conference session though)
3) Some do believe that to be true but I beleive that if we do ever go to places of safety, everyone will be invited but maybe not everyone will want to go. If everyone does want to go, the Lord will provide
4) I think its very possible that girls camps are a front for bigger and more important purposes and they cannot talk about under the current climate (maybe I'm wrong....so what?)
5) ??? IDK maybe
6) ??? IDK maybe
7) I don't believe in all conspiracy theories but 9/11 was an inside job for sure. I have no doubt about it. If I had a position of influence in the world I would not say a word about it...I'm not that stupid. No need to twitch the tail of the beast.

#13 katherine the great

katherine the great

Creates Man & Woman

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,707 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

As long as they don't teach it as doctrine, people are free to believe whatever they want. I admit that this type radical thinking makes me uncomfortable and vaguely embarrassed and I don't tend to get close to these kinds of people, but I think it is their right to believe it.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Oscar Wilde

#14 zelder

zelder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

Are we all going to fit in a Girl's Camp? Who gets the cabins?

(I call dibs.)

LOL..

#15 zelder

zelder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

As long as they don't teach it as doctrine, people are free to believe whatever they want. I admit that this type radical thinking makes me uncomfortable and vaguely embarrassed and I don't tend to get close to these kinds of people, but I think it is their right to believe it.

Even though I believe some of this stuff, I agree that it is totally weird.

#16 ttribe

ttribe

"Substance-free poster" - as labeled by Dr. Scratch

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,640 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

+1

#17 MDalby

MDalby

Senior Member: Divides Heaven & Earth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:35 PM

Tent cities are speculative, at best. Proponents of this idea are passionate people that understand that there will be difficult times ahead and make conjectures.

We know that transportation will be disrupted, cities will be "cut off" and destroyed etc... I have highlighted a key verse at the end of this prophecy that is in 3 Nephi and Micah 5 that may counter the tent cities idea. The same verse is in 3 Nephi 20:42.

12 And my people who are a remnant of Jacob shall be among the Gentiles, yea, in the midst of them as a lion among the beasts of the forest, as a young lion among the flocks of sheep, who, if he go through both treadeth down and teareth in pieces, and none can deliver.
13 Their hand shall be lifted up upon their adversaries, and all their enemies shall be cut off.
14 Yea, wo be unto the Gentiles except they repent; for it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Father, that I will cut off thy horses out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy chariots;
15 And I will cut off the cities of thy land, and throw down all thy strongholds;
16 And I will cut off witchcrafts out of thy land, and thou shalt have no more soothsayers;
17 Thy graven images I will also cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee, and thou shalt no more worship the works of thy hands;
18 And I will pluck up thy groves out of the midst of thee; so will I destroy thy cities.
20 For it shall come to pass, saith the Father, that at that day whosoever will not repent and come unto my Beloved Son, them will I cut off from among my people, O house of Israel;
21 And I will execute vengeance and fury upon them, even as upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.
24 And then shall they assist my people that they may be gathered in, who are scattered upon all the face of the land, in unto the New Jerusalem.
29 And they shall go out from all nations; and they shall not go out in haste, nor go by flight, for I will go before them, saith the Father, and I will be their rearward.
(3 Nephi 21:12-29)

42 For ye shall not go out with haste nor go by flight; for the Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel shall be your rearward.
(3 Nephi 20:42)

MD
But out of apparent evil, Providence will bring abundant good, and the lesson which the signs of the times should teach us is one of patience, endurance, and calm reliance on the Lord. The result will be that we shall be stronger, wiser, purer, happier, for the experience gained, and the work of the Lord, delivered by His Omnipotence from all the snares set for its retardation, or plans laid for its destruction, will yet triumph gloriously over all its foes, and the infinite atonement of the Redeemer will accomplish its perfect work. The final victory of the Saints is certain; after the trial comes the reward.
Messages of the First Presidency, 3:127

http://LDSLastDays.com

#18 busybee

busybee

Member: Moves Upon the Waters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

I have to wonder, when I read stuff like this, who the heck is buying land for "girls' camps" for the poor LDS in the rest of the world (more than 50% of the total membership, by the way)? I guess we just have to tough it out!! It sounds a bit whack.

#19 mercyngrace

mercyngrace

a witness of His loving kindness

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

I have to wonder, when I read stuff like this, who the heck is buying land for "girls' camps" for the poor LDS in the rest of the world (more than 50% of the total membership, by the way)? I guess we just have to tough it out!! It sounds a bit whack.

LOL ~ I had the same thought, busybee. If you can make it to my house, I'll share my food storage with ya :P

Nothing is more dangerous to one’s own faith than the work of an apologist. No doctrine of that faith seems to me so spectral, so unreal as one that I have just successfully defended in a public debate.~ C. S. Lewis

#20 busybee

busybee

Member: Moves Upon the Waters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

LOL ~ I had the same thought, busybee. If you can make it to my house, I'll share my food storage with ya ;)

Oh thank you so much. I extend the same invitation to you and yours. :P

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users