Seriously No Politics ×

My Column in "Mormon Times"

Daniel Peterson

Paul taught a spirit-only resurrection. He never said anything about an empty tomb or showing of wounds. It is extremely improbable that he knew about these things but chose never to mention this core evidence.

Huh?!

Ever read 1 Cor 15 the whol chapter start to finish is about a Physical and Bodily ressurection?!

Huh?!

Ever read 1 Cor 15 the whol chapter start to finish is about a Physical and Bodily ressurection?!

15:35 But someone will say, “How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come?”

36 You fool! That which you sow does not come to life unless it dies;

37 and that which you sow, you do not sow the body which is to be, but a bare grain, perhaps of wheat or of something else.

15:42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body;

43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power;

44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

45 So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living soul.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

15:50 Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

Depending on the translation, Paul uses "perishable" or "corruptible" as synonyms for "physical" in describing our physical bodies (soma psychikos).

He uses "imperishable" or "incorruptible" to describe our spiritual bodes (soma pneumatikos), the only bodies that can inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Cor. 15:50 is crystal clear and stands in stark opposition to Luke 24:39:

See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.”

Here and elsewhere the apostles assume they are seeing a spirit. Where did they get this assumption? Or rather, where did Luke's readership get the expectation that the risen Jesus would be a spirit? From the teachings of Paul!

Thanks. I appreciate your note.

I'm going to go back through that and other threads where I've been revealed to be a dishonest incompetent, to see if I can extract anything from them that actually counts against my positions. My sense thus far is, on the whole, that my opponents there and I are talking past one another. But they're so disposed to regard me as a scoundrel and a liar that I can see no real point in trying to engage them there, and any explanation that I would offer would, I absolutely guarantee, be regarded by the most vocal as nothing but disingenuous and mercenary evasion.

Right now, several seem to be busily engaged in demonstrating that I hold all those who disagree with me in contempt, that I explain all disbelief as caused by a desire to sin, that I advocate misogyny, and etc., and so forth.

it's wearisome. But it would be futile to try to convince them otherwise. I know, because I've tried.

It is now on the level of schoolyard bullying led by cowards who have no reputations or even names- they are hidden and anonymous, mean-spirited children without morals, saying whatever they like because they are invisible. They are beyond being able to be "convinced" by anything good or beautiful.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to let them be. They are blinded by their egos and cannot learn. There is just so much you can do; they will either eventually respond to the light, or continue their downward spiral.

Wow, the writer in that piece is a former Mormon Bishop's daughter!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Oh noes!!!! They found us out! Only in such a rarefied position could we be so utterly exposed and defeated.

I suppose it is my duty as a former Mormon Bishop's son to go to battle against this considering how few have the credentials to do battle with such an insider.

Wish me luck.

It's always a bit depressing to read the comments, because they respond, very often, to things I didn't say, and attack positions that I don't hold.

The Straw Men: they march among us without hindrance or let.

Seems like Romney's worst enemies are going to be people who share his political views. Ironic.

Senator! Avert your eyes and back away slowly! Do not -- I repeat, do not -- proceed to the remainder of this post!

If you choose to read further, you do so at your own risk. . . .

Here's a link to this week's deliberate attack upon honesty, civility, poor people, ethnic minorities, motherhood, apple pie, and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700183201/Mormon-Studies-Review-is-a-scholarly-feast.html

My favorite part of their reply, I confess, comes when they conclude "with 99 percent probability," based upon the same sort of statistical reasoning used in the Stanford authors' original article, that Sidney Rigdon, who was born in 1793, wrote 34 of the Federalist Papers that were published in 1788; that Rigdon also wrote roughly 30 percent of the King James Bible; . . .

WOW!!!

That Rigdon fellow really got around, didn't he.

It was very appropriate, I thought, given Matt's strong interest in temples.

I was lucky to be able to do it.

My columns go in on Tuesday mornings, and so, when I called up immediately after hearing of Matt's passing on Wednesday afternoon to see if I could add a dedication , I had little hope. As it happened, though, my editor was literally, at that very moment, finalizing the typesetting. If I had called even a few minutes later, it would have been too late.

A small thing, that dedication. Entirely inadequate. But I felt and feel, nonetheless, that my being able to get it in was remarkably . . . fortunate.

Archived