Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ELF1024

Scholar's Bible (no, seriously)

Is there such a thing as a Scholar's Bible. One that cuts up Isaiah into it's three peices and cuts out the "Most/All Scholar's Beleive..." bits to leave a copy of the text that is 100% Evangelical approved and accepted?

I am getting a bit tired of playing the ol' "Well that bit of the Bible isn't accepted by most scholars" game, and I was just wondering if there was an easy to use copy of the Bible Playbook somewhere we could all use to get on the same page with the Evan-pologists on the board.

I'd perfer something that I could use on my android phone or something with a full text search.

Suggestions?

Is there such a thing as a Scholar's Bible. One that cuts up Isaiah into it's three peices and cuts out the "Most/All Scholar's Beleive..." bits to leave a copy of the text that is 100% Evangelical approved and accepted?

I am getting a bit tired of playing the ol' "Well that bit of the Bible isn't accepted by most scholars" game, and I was just wondering if there was an easy to use copy of the Bible Playbook somewhere we could all use to get on the same page with the Evan-pologists on the board.

I'd perfer something that I could use on my android phone or something with a full text search.

Suggestions?

The bible in question would be inconsequential. The problem is inconsistent ideas among people who relish in their inconsistency. Aside from that I really like the NET Bible which demarcates Old Testament from New Testament interpretation. While evangelical it uses some very good sources.

I don't know what Evangelicals you've met, but the ones I associate with hold Isaiah to be written by 1 man, Moses to have written the Pentateuch, etc... In fact, any bible is welcome at our church. The only passage not used in our bible is the later addition of Mark 16 (all 3 of the endings!) and 1 John on the Trinity.

Suggestions?

Richard Freedman has a publication called The Bible with Sources Revealed, and it separates the Pentateuch into its different sources. I'm not aware of anything that does anything similar for the rest of the Bible.

Richard Freedman has a publication called The Bible with Sources Revealed, and it separates the Pentateuch into its different sources. I'm not aware of anything that does anything similar for the rest of the Bible.

I will have to buy this one Mak. Thanks for providing the link.

Campbell and O'brien, Sources of the Pentateuch: Texts, Introductions, Annotations, (2000) divide the Pentateuch into the different proposed sources, whereas Freedman highlights the different sources within the traditional textual order.

Campbell and O'brien, Unfolding the Deuteronomistic History: Origins, Upgrades, Present Text (2000) goes through the Deuteronomistic history (Dt, Josh, Jud, 1 Sam, 2 Sam, 1 Kg, 2 Kg) highlighting the different proposed sources.

Endres (ed), Chronicles and Its Synoptic Parallels in Samuel, Kings, and Related Biblical Texts (1998), lets you see all the variants and parallels between the historical books.

Aland, Synopsis of the Four Gospels (1982) lets you do the same with the Gospels.

EbedUseless.png

Suggestions?

Most evangelicals and Southern Baptists in particular take great pride in being autonomous right down to the local congregation level. The local folks decide everything from the organizational structure, to who they hire to be their preacher, to what that preacher should preach from the pulpit. Consequently, what a member in one congregation believes may vary greatly from what a member in the neighboring congregation will believe. Geting two knowledgible evangelicals to agree on a doctrine is somewhat akin to herding cats.

When I was younger, just for the grins and giggles, I would ask a group of evangelicals of southern baptist persuasion, "If a christian of another denomination, takes membership in your congregation, does he need to be baptized again if his baptism was by sprinkling or pouring?" I would then sit back and observe. Very informative. Another favorite is to ask evangelicals if it is incompatible with a just, kind, and loving God to relegate to Hhll those who have never had the opportunity to accept Jesus Christ. Not all are evangelicals agree on this, by the way. In fact, there is enough disagreement that it is educational to just listen as they go at each other.

The point is that even if such a volume of work exists, I do not think it would be of much use to you. The likelyhood that any evangelical will accept it as authoritative is exceptionally low unless it just happens to jibe with his beliefs at that point in time.

Thanks for the advice and the suggestions, I will definately have to look into some of those. (rats, none available for Kindle... oh well hardcopy is good too)

Merry Christmas to All!

Any suggestions on how best to deal with having to play "Pin the tail on the Doctrine" with the evan-pologists?

I'm late to the party but one of my favorite texts is The Complete Gospels of which the translations is called "The Scholars Version". It includes all known Gospels beyond the canonical Gospels along with modern translations.

Phaedrus

Any suggestions on how best to deal with having to play "Pin the tail on the Doctrine" with the evan-pologists?

That is a insulting yet comical statement. Exp when the tail is supposed to be pinned on the rump of a Jackass. Who dreamed up this saying?

What is an "evan-pologist"? As has been suggested, evangelicals are much less likely to accept Biblical high criticism than religious scholars. And the easiest way to know what religious scholars think is to read accessible works for a general audience by the likes of Richard Friedman or Bart Ehrman. Obviously, not all scholars agree with their conclusions, but they usually provide references to other viewpoints.