Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zakuska

Adam Kadmon - Adam God

Did Joseph Smith or Brigham Young ever study Jewish Kaballah?

Guf

In Jewish mysticism the Chamber of Guf (also Guph or even Gup) Hebrew for "body" or "corpse", also called the Otzar (Hebrew for "treasury"), is the Hall of Souls, located in the Seventh Heaven. Every human soul is held to emanate from the Guf. The Talmud teaches that the Messiah will not come until the Guf is emptied of all its souls (Yevamot 62a).

The mystic significance of the Guf is that each person is important and has a unique role which only they, with their unique soul, can fulfill. Even a newborn baby brings the Messiah closer simply by being born.

In keeping with other Jewish legends that envision souls as bird-like, the Guf is sometimes described as a columbarium, or birdhouse. Folklore says sparrows can see the soul's descent and this explains their joyous chirping.

The peculiar idiom of describing the treasury of souls as a "body" may be connected to the mythic tradition of Adam Kadmon, the primordial man. Adam Kadmon, God's "original intention" for humanity, was a supernal being, androgynous and macro-cosmic (co-equal in size with the universe). When this Adam sinned, humanity was demoted to the flesh and blood, bifurcated and mortal creatures we are now. According to Kabbalah, every human soul is just a fragment (or fragments) cycling out of the great "world-soul" of Adam Kadmon. Hence, every human soul comes from the guf [of Adam Kadmon].

Within the Tanakh, there is a passage used to teach that the spirit within humans did not pre-exist, but was created within each person in the womb:

"The burden of the word of the LORD concerning Israel. The saying of the LORD, who stretched out the heavens, laid the foundation of the earth, And formed the spirit of man within him" (Zechariah 12:1. The Holy Scriptures: JPS. Copyright 1917 by the Jewish Publication Society of America)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_guf

Could this be where Adam-God doctrine came from?

No indication that either of them, let alone Brigham, studied kabbalah.

Adam as a divine figure, almost a god in his own right, can be found in 2 Enoch.

:P PM me, please.

Lance Owens says yes.

My link

Bill Hamblin says no.

My link

Lance Owens says yes.

My link

Bill Hamblin says no.

My link

Lance Owens has no idea what he is talking about.

BTW, Bill, you feature as a vague allusion in a footnote of a Moshe Idel book.

BTW, Bill, you feature as a vague allusion in a footnote of a Moshe Idel book.

Your PM box is full. :P