Seriously No Politics ×

You Die, Go to Heaven, And Then...

ELF1024

For those of you non-LDS folks...

You die, you go to heaven, and THEN?

I've heard all kinds of interesting ideas. I've heard we are genderless beings. I've heard we get mansions that have magic walls that you can throw roses against that will automagically stick. I've heard you get crowns of jewels, the jewels for each soul you bring unto Christ.

But seriously, you go to heaven and then what? What do you do for the rest of eternity?

ELF,

When a genuine believer in Jesus Christ dies, his or her spirit rests with Christ between death and the Second Coming (e.g., Phil. 1:21-24); then Christ raises that person to immortal, eternal life, body and soul (e.g., 1 Cor. 15:50-56); then that person lives forever in the new heavens and new earth (e.g., Rev. 21-22). Our eternal state is not a genderless, bodiless state, but is a perfect, glorious, transformed state in which we retain our human nature yet without the indignities and weaknesses of the flesh as we know it (1 Cor. 15:42-44).

What do these redeemed people do for the rest of eternity? Why, they love God and one another forever, enjoying perfect fellowship, love, joy, peace, meaning, and purpose. We aren't given a lot of details, but it will be better than our present life even at its best. Our human nature will be glorified and perfected like the human nature of the risen Christ (see Rom. 8:29; 1 John 3:1-2).

I've heard all kinds of interesting ideas. I've heard we are genderless beings. I've heard we get mansions that have magic walls that you can throw roses against that will automagically stick. I've heard you get crowns of jewels, the jewels for each soul you bring unto Christ.

But seriously, you go to heaven and then what? What do you do for the rest of eternity?

*I believe I qualify for non-LDS status in spite of my belief in the Book of Mormon*

Let me preface my remarks: These are my personal thoughts on the subject. I don't go around teaching them and I certainly don't believe they impact salvation in anyway...

I believe that this earth is a proving ground for the most righteous of God's creation. I believe that those who prove worthy, on this earth, will be emissaries of Jesus Christ to His other creations throughout the universe. We will teach and instruct them concerning the Atonement of their Creator and invite them to accept His Gospel. After a planet has had sufficient time to repent, we will cleanse the planet of the disobedient, resurrect the righteous, and set up God's government on that planet.

Hey, ELF... hate to burst your bubble, but even LDS don't know what they are doing for the rest of eternity, beyond, "you get a degree of glory, and then...."

H.

even LDS don't know what they are doing for the rest of eternity, beyond, "you get a degree of glory, and then...."

This is not quite true.

See Doc&Cov 131 and 132.

1 In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees; 2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]; 3 And if he does not, he cannot obtain it. 4 He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase.
If those who do not "obtain it" "cannot have an increase", the strong implication is that those who do "obtain it" will "have an increase".
15 Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.

16 Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory. 17 For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever.

18 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife, and make a covenant with her for time and for all eternity, if that covenant is not by me or by my word, which is my law, and is not sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, through him whom I have anointed and appointed unto this power, then it is not valid neither of force when they are out of the world, because they are not joined by me, saith the Lord, neither by my word; when they are out of the world it cannot be received there, because the angels and the gods are appointed there, by whom they cannot pass; they cannot, therefore, inherit my glory; for my house is a house of order, saith the Lord God.

19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them

It is interesting the accounts given from those who claim to have died and were then sent back to share what they saw. I was taught to look for the similarities and also look for the differences in these different accounts.

Some of them report being in a place of great peace and happiness, surrounded by loved ones in a place which seems very much like our earth (except in a more perfect form). Others relate an account of being in a less than friendly place. This is where many get the belief in either a "paradise or purgatory". Each persons after life dependent upon or being a creation of what we did during our earthly life.

One account I read stated that we are building for eternity all our lives. The life to come being just an extension of who and what we became on earth. That it is impossible to be hateful and filled with the pride of self glory in one life, yet magically transformed into loving/humble people in the world to come. One is just an extension of the former.

We are also told of a time called the first resurrection, where every soul created is taken before the Judgment Seat of Christ. After that, our final reward is given based on what his judgment holds for the individual (the second resurrection have no power over those who succeeded during the first).

One account I read stated that we are building for eternity all our lives. The life to come being just an extension of who and what we became on earth. That it is impossible to be hateful and filled with the pride of self glory in one life, yet magically transformed into loving/humble people in the world to come. One is just an extension of the former.

Alma 34:32-36

32 For behold, this alife is the time for men to bprepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of cthis life is the day for men to perform their dlabors.

33 And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many awitnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not bprocrastinate the day of your crepentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the dnight of edarkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

34 Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful acrisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God. Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth bpossess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world. UAdd a Note

35 For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become asubjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth bseal you his; therefore, the Spirit of the Lord hath withdrawn from you, and hath no place in you, and the devil hath all power over you; and this is the final state of the wicked.

It's even simpler than that.....you die, that's it. No heaven needed. You are dead, consciousness (either physical, mental or "spiritual") ceases, and you become worm food.

...even LDS don't know what they are doing for the rest of eternity, beyond, "you get a degree of glory, and then...."

Not to burst your bubble, but while Catholics and Protestants were thinking in terms of playing harps and pearly gates, Joseph Smith was thinking in terms of other worlds, endless creations and progeny. What is written in the books of Moses and Abraham was far beyond the shallow notions that existed in his day. (Read Hugh Nibley's Temple and the Cosmos and read some of his other stuff.) Compare his revelations with those of Ellen G. White and the concepts of some of the early church fathers.

Joseph Smith is still the only one of his day (or ours) who taught that angels, humans and gods were all variations of the same, even when John, on Patmos, quoted angels saying they were his "fellowservants" and "of the prophets." To Joseph Smith, we come to the Earth to be tried; but why wouldn't the angels need to be tried? He also taught that God had endless creations in a day when people were still believers that this Earth was "it." The rest of the universe was created for our benefit. The notion that God could visit his own creations as a king could visit his own dominions was virtually unheard of. Or that we would participate in the creation process for the same reason God did. There was never a time when gods and creations didn't exist, and now we can conceive of other universes beyond ours -- perhaps trillions of universes beyond our own. Many of these concepts (of endless creations) were had by the ancient Jews and Christians, and only with Joseph Smith were they restored.

Just sayin'....

Not to burst your bubble, but while Catholics and Protestants were thinking in terms of playing harps and pearly gates, Joseph Smith was thinking in terms of other worlds, endless creations and progeny. What is written in the books of Moses and Abraham was far beyond the shallow notions that existed in his day. (Read Hugh Nibley's Temple and the Cosmos and read some of his other stuff.) Compare his revelations with those of Ellen G. White and the concepts of some of the early church fathers.

Joseph Smith is still the only one of his day (or ours) who taught that angels, humans and gods were all variations of the same, even when John, on Patmos, quoted angels saying they were his "fellowservants" and "of the prophets." To Joseph Smith, we come to the Earth to be tried; but why wouldn't the angels need to be tried? He also taught that God had endless creations in a day when people were still believers that this Earth was "it." The rest of the universe was created for our benefit. The notion that God could visit his own creations as a king could visit his own dominions was virtually unheard of. Or that we would participate in the creation process for the same reason God did. There was never a time when gods and creations didn't exist, and now we can conceive of other universes beyond ours -- perhaps trillions of universes beyond our own. Many of these concepts (of endless creations) were had by the ancient Jews and Christians, and only with Joseph Smith were they restored.

Just sayin'....

Well, we know precious little, to be truthful. We are told we will be gods if we ascend to the highest degree of glory, and that all things will be subject unto us. We are also told that angels are those who live in lesser degrees within the Celestial kingdom. All others who live in the Telestial and Terrestrial kingdoms, we know nothing of what they do forever.

As for those who become gods, what will they be doing? Making worlds without end? Fathering infinite pre-mortal souls? None of that is actually spelled out in scripture, if memory serves me. One can speculate, but one can't know for certain.

I will say, the celestial sphere looks really boring as depicted in the temple...

H.

I'm hoping to get a little of this action....

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap091222.html

What a way to spend eternity!!!!

Bernard

Well, we know precious little, to be truthful. We are told we will be gods if we ascend to the highest degree of glory, and that all things will be subject unto us. We are also told that angels are those who live in lesser degrees within the Celestial kingdom. All others who live in the Telestial and Terrestrial kingdoms, we know nothing of what they do forever.

Of course it is, but we LDS know vast more information than the other sects, which was my point. The prophets have made many statements regarding what we'll be doing and what will be expected of us. Take this for example:

The earth then will be made new, immortal, eternal in its nature; and holy beings that John saw come down in this holy city will be its inhabitants. No more death, no more sorrow, etc.; in other words, this earth, this creation, will become a heaven. The heavens that exist now are innumerable to man. God has from all eternity been organizing, redeeming and perfecting creations in the immensity of space; all of which, when they are sanctified by celestial law, and made new and eternal, become the abode of the faithful former inhabitants, who also become immortal, through and by celestial law. They are the mansions referred to by the Savior-"In my Father's house are many mansions." In other words, we may say, In our Father's dominions are many mansions. They are not like mansions built by men, they are worlds of greater and lesser magnitude. The first grade are exalted, celestial bodies, from which celestial light will radiate through the immensity of space.

We are anxiously praying to dwell in the presence of God the Father, when we depart this life. Where will it be? He will dwell with man upon the earth. Will this confine him to this earth? No, not any more than the kings of the earth are confined to their palaces, or the city in which they may dwell. They have the right to visit the different portions of their dominions and even any parts of the earth. So will God our Eternal Father, when he selects this earth as a habitation, make it as one of his dwelling places, but he will have power to go from one celestial world to another, to visit the myriads of creations, as may seem to him good.

In thus referring to the changes that the earth must undergo we might ask, Are we living now so as to be prepared for all the dispensations of God's providence? Are we prepared to receive our inheritance upon this earth, when it shall be made eternal? If we keep the celestial law which God shall give to us; or in other words, if we are born first of the water by baptism, and then of the spirit by the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost, and if we continue to walk in this spirit in newness of life, being new creatures before the Lord our God, and becoming sanctified by the celestial law, even the law of the Gospel, we will then be prepared to inherit this creation, when it shall be made new, and sanctified, and become immortal.

If we are not thus prepared, where shall we go? God is the author of many creations besides those that are celestial. He will prepare a creation just adapted to the condition of such people-those who are not sanctified by the Gospel in all its fullness, and who do not endure faithful to the end, will find themselves located upon one of the lower creations, where the glory of God will not be made manifest to the same extent. There they will be governed by laws adapted to their inferior capacity and to the condition which they will have plunged themselves in. They will not only suffer after this life, but will fail to receive glory and power and exaltation in the presence of God the Eternal Father; they will fail to receive an everlasting inheritance upon this earth, in its glorified and immortal state. Therefore how careful the Latter-day Saints should be in order to merit the association of the happy throng whom John heard singing that new song. We desire our inheritance on this earth as well as they. If they could rejoice in anticipation of receiving an inheritance on the earth, how much more can we who know comparatively nothing of the joys of heaven, when our globe will be glorified, a fit habitation for immortal, glorified beings.

Elder Orson Pratt

Journal of Discourses, 26 vols., 18:, p.322 - 324

The earth then will be made new, immortal, eternal in its nature; and holy beings that John saw come down in this holy city will be its inhabitants. No more death, no more sorrow, etc.; in other words, this earth, this creation, will become a heaven.

I would love that.

I don't know for sure what comes after death, but my vision of it has always been this perfect place where there is no more fear, no more worry, no more hate, no more division. Just perfect love and unity forever. I would love to travel the galaxies, but always know I have a home on earth.

I expect heaven will be pretty much what we want to make it, with lots of opportunities to express ourselves and be creative.

No basis for any of the above, except in my own imagination.

What's really strange is the Jehovah's Witness eschatology. They believe in two classes of people at the end of time. The first is the "heavenly class" -- the class of 144,000 people who will be resurrected as spirits. The other class is the "earthly class" -- the "great crowd" John saw. Because they were waving palm leaves, this represented that they would live on Earth forever.

The JWs believe the Earth will not be resurrected into a sphere of glory, but into a garden similar to Eden. People will exist there having family reunions, playing musical instruments, petting lions and planting crops forever and ever. This Edenic lifestyle is odd to say the least, and it's based on the bizarre but common notion that Adam and Eve were intended to remain in the Garden of Eden forever. Joseph Smith put that notion to bed with the Book of Mormon doctrine that stated that Adam's fall was intentional. The penalty was a blessing, but one that could not have been imposed without cause. If Joseph Smith invented this notion, then he was brilliant. On the other hand, to think that Adam and Eve would live forever in Eden is astoundingly senseless.

I've tried talking to JWs about this without success. I'd think family reunions would get old pretty fast, and living forever would be burdensome.

As for those who become gods, what will they be doing? Making worlds without end? Fathering infinite pre-mortal souls? None of that is actually spelled out in scripture, if memory serves me. One can speculate, but one can't know for certain.

Joseph Smith said our ability to perceive would be increased to levels we can't fully understand. Instead of thinking about one thing at a time, we would be able to think of many things. We also will be able to see and comprehend things simply by looking at them. All laws of physics will be made known to us, as well as means of controlling them. In short, there is plenty of things to hold one's interest for a very long time. We'll also understand the means of achieving happiness, as well as doing what God does, which is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of Man. Imagine being able to have every question answered and having nothing withheld -- of being able to travel anywhere instantly and being able to see any part of history enwrapt before your eyes. Oh, and it will be pretty cool to be able to glow like the sun, never have to shave or take showers!

It's only limited by your imagination.

And then it goes on way, way beyond.

ELF,

When a genuine believer in Jesus Christ dies, his or her spirit rests with Christ between death and the Second Coming (e.g., Phil. 1:21-24); then Christ raises that person to immortal, eternal life, body and soul (e.g., 1 Cor. 15:50-56); then that person lives forever in the new heavens and new earth (e.g., Rev. 21-22). Our eternal state is not a genderless, bodiless state, but is a perfect, glorious, transformed state in which we retain our human nature yet without the indignities and weaknesses of the flesh as we know it (1 Cor. 15:42-44).

What do these redeemed people do for the rest of eternity? Why, they love God and one another forever, enjoying perfect fellowship, love, joy, peace, meaning, and purpose. We aren't given a lot of details, but it will be better than our present life even at its best. Our human nature will be glorified and perfected like the human nature of the risen Christ (see Rom. 8:29; 1 John 3:1-2).

I can't find anything here that disagrees with LDS doctrine.

ELF,

But doing what?

Of Course it will be better, no argument there, that is unless all one has to do is sing and play harps. I don't do either one.

I'm hoping to get a little of this action....

http://antwrp.gsfc.n...d/ap091222.html

What a way to spend eternity!!!!

Bernard

An even better view of the same show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCp-XKeSvSY?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6

In heaven will be employed. We will not be on vacation. It is written that we will be the judges of other lower beings.

1Co 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

This infers that saved humans who go to heaven will be on a higher level than at least some of the angels in heaven. This in turn suggests that in heaven we will be administrators over some of the affairs of running a universe populated with beings on some lower level of some sort than us in heaven.

And heaven is a really big place--- lots of work to to there.

The righteous get no rest.

Archived