Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StuddleyG

The New and Everlasting Covenant

What is the New and Everlasting Covenant? Is it the law of plural marriage or celestial marriage in general?

What is the New and Everlasting Covenant? Is it the law of plural marriage or celestial marriage in general?

Neither. It is the sum of Restored Gospel Covenants, beginning with Baptism. Marriage is one aspect. (The New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage)

From the Guide to the Scriptures:

The fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ (D&C 66:2). It is new every time it is revealed anew following a period of apostasy. It is everlasting in the sense that it is God

The Mormon practice of eternal marriage, which includes the plurality of wives and concubines.

The Mormon practice of eternal marriage, which includes the plurality of wives and concubines.

'Concubines?'

Have we been reading The Godmakers lately? :P

This definition seems to be more in line with the context of section 132.

'Concubines?'

Have we been reading The Godmakers lately? :P

No. We've just been watching Tiger Woods on the news.

No. We've just been watching Tiger Woods on the news.

What about Mr. Larsen?

Neither. It is the sum of Restored Gospel Covenants, beginning with Baptism. Marriage is one aspect. (The New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage)

From the Guide to the Scriptures:

The fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ (D&C 66:2). It is new every time it is revealed anew following a period of apostasy. It is everlasting in the sense that it is God

If we were to read section 131 and 132 and then ask this question-

"So, what is this new and everlasting covenant?" it would thus obviously be celestial marriage which also includes plural marriage. So, we could thus answer-

"This new and everlasting covenant is the eternal marriage covenant."

But it can be tricky however when we say "the" new and everlasting covenant" because it may refer to just one or all of the covenants given during the dispensation of the fulness of times and throughout the history of mankind. It all depends upon the context of use. For instance in section 22 it refers to a new and everlasting covenant of baptism. It also refers to there being "old covenants" that are now done away with. So, there are both "new and everlasting covenants" and "old covenants" which as I guess are not to be interpreted the same- meaning, some covenants are not everlasting while others are.

1 BEHOLD, I say unto you that all old covenants have I caused to be done away in this thing; and this is a new and an everlasting covenant, even that which was from the beginning.2 Wherefore, although a man should be baptized an hundred times it availeth him nothing, for you cannot enter in at the strait gate by the law of Moses, neither by your dead works.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 22:1 - 2)

There are some that believe this has NOTHING whatsoever to do with plural or celestial marriage. Here is a revelation given through Joseph Smith, Jr., prophet and seer to the church, April 1830, at Manchester, New York. This instruction came in answer to Joseph Smith's inquiry concerning the status of those who desired to unite with the church and who had already been baptized.

"Behold, I say unto you, that all old covenants have I caused to be done away in this thing, and this is a new and everlasting covenant; even that which was from the beginning.

Wherefore, although a man should be baptized an hundred times, it availeth him nothing; for you can not enter in at the strait gate by the Law of Moses, neither by your dead works; for it is because of your dead works, that I have caused this last covenant, and this church to be built up unto me; even as in days of old.

Wherefore, enter ye in at the gate, as I have commanded, and seek not to counsel your God. Amen."

Then there are others which believe this "new and everlasting covenant" represent two separate covenants. The "New Covenant" of Jesus Christ as spoken of in Jeremiah 31 and the "Everlasting Covenant" spoken of in Genesis from the Inspired Version.

The Everlasting Covenant:

"And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant, which I made unto thy father Enoch; that, when men should keep all my commandments, Zion should again come on the earth, the city of Enoch which I have caught up unto myself. And this is mine everlasting covenant, that when thy posterity shall embrace the truth, and look upward, then shall Zion look downward, and all the heavens shall shake with gladness, and the earth shall tremble with joy; And the general assembly of the church of the firstborn shall come down out of heaven, and possess the earth, and shall have place until the end come. And this is mine everlasting covenant, which I made with thy father Enoch..." Genesis 9:21-23 Inspired Version

The New Covenant:

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah; Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers, in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith the Lord; But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord; for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more..." Jeremiah 31:31-34

The New and Everlasting covenant had nothing to do with plural marriage. When the times of the Gentiles ends the gospel will be given back to true Israel. The last shall be first and the first shall be last. Israel will then build the New Jerusalem. Once this is done the 10 tribes will come, Christ will come, and the city of Enoch will come down from heaven. Israel will be redeemed and saved.

There are some that believe this has NOTHING whatsoever to do with plural or celestial marriage. Here is a revelation given through Joseph Smith, Jr., prophet and seer to the church, April 1830, at Manchester, New York. This instruction came in answer to Joseph Smith's inquiry concerning the status of those who desired to unite with the church and who had already been baptized.

"Behold, I say unto you, that all old covenants have I caused to be done away in this thing, and this is a new and everlasting covenant; even that which was from the beginning.

Wherefore, although a man should be baptized an hundred times, it availeth him nothing; for you can not enter in at the strait gate by the Law of Moses, neither by your dead works; for it is because of your dead works, that I have caused this last covenant, and this church to be built up unto me; even as in days of old.

Wherefore, enter ye in at the gate, as I have commanded, and seek not to counsel your God. Amen."

Then there are others which believe this "new and everlasting covenant" represent two separate covenants. The "New Covenant" of Jesus Christ as spoken of in Jeremiah 31 and the "Everlasting Covenant" spoken of in Genesis from the Inspired Version.

The Everlasting Covenant:

"And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant, which I made unto thy father Enoch; that, when men should keep all my commandments, Zion should again come on the earth, the city of Enoch which I have caught up unto myself. And this is mine everlasting covenant, that when thy posterity shall embrace the truth, and look upward, then shall Zion look downward, and all the heavens shall shake with gladness, and the earth shall tremble with joy; And the general assembly of the church of the firstborn shall come down out of heaven, and possess the earth, and shall have place until the end come. And this is mine everlasting covenant, which I made with thy father Enoch..." Genesis 9:21-23 Inspired Version

The New Covenant:

"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah; Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers, in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith the Lord; But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord; for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more..." Jeremiah 31:31-34

Then how do you feel about its terminology as it is used in D&C 132?

President Joseph Fielding Smith gave the following definition of the new and everlasting covenant:

The new and everlasting covenant is the fulness of the gospel. It is composed of

If we were to read section 131 and 132 and then ask this question-

"So, what is this new and everlasting covenant?" it would thus obviously be celestial marriage which also includes plural marriage. So, we could thus answer-

"This new and everlasting covenant is the eternal marriage covenant."

But it can be tricky however when we say "the" new and everlasting covenant" because it may refer to just one or all of the covenants given during the dispensation of the fulness of times and throughout the history of mankind. It all depends upon the context of use. For instance in section 22 it refers to a new and everlasting covenant of baptism. It also refers to there being "old covenants" that are now done away with. So, there are both "new and everlasting covenants" and "old covenants" which as I guess are not to be interpreted the same- meaning, some covenants are not everlasting while others are.

1 BEHOLD, I say unto you that all old covenants have I caused to be done away in this thing; and this is a new and an everlasting covenant, even that which was from the beginning.2 Wherefore, although a man should be baptized an hundred times it availeth him nothing, for you cannot enter in at the strait gate by the law of Moses, neither by your dead works.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 22:1 - 2)

Emma would be so relieved.

I would tend to believe an Israelite prophet like Jeremiah than a Gentile prophet like Joseph Fielding Smith. The New and Everlasting covenant is yet to come. It will happen when the times of the Gentiles closes.

Just to make it clear to any non-LDS reading this thread, if you say the words "New and Everlasting Covenant" to a Mormon, 99.999% of them will think you're referring to Celestial Marriage, which is now taught as monogamous Temple marriage. While there may be

Unless they just don't know what the heck you're talking about at all.